Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just when it couldnt get any more depressing......

Comments

• Options
    Arrested Development has a new series coming in May Gretna.
  • Options
    Dip in and out of 'Big Bang Theory'. Some 'hmm', some 'what?' and some real 'lol'.
    Not enough to make me want to make a point of watching though.
  • Options

Arrested Development has a new series coming in May Gretna.

Cheers just read up on that, i love Netflix now. :)

• Options
    Friends is quality.
  • Options
    I used to watch this then began to realise that a) I didn't like any of the main charcaters and b) it wasn't funny.
    More of a soap opera than a comedy.
  • Options
    Anyway back to making you all feel depressed.

Italia 90 is closer to Neil Armstorng landing on the moon than it is to today. (In terms of time of course)
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I've never sat through an entire episode of Friends, as I simply just don't get half of what they're on about. Never been able to take to American comedy though, I've no idea what they're on about half the time!

You didn't like this either?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Have as many words as you like Jordan's cousin. Ignore the miserable sod.

Utter crap American rubbish watched by birds which wasn't a patch on Cheers

• Options
    Can't wait to get home and watch the one with the prom video. Classic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    A tub of Ben & Jerrys whilst wearing my favourite sweat pants on my couch with friends on. Heaven.
  • Options
    When Marcel the monkey set the language on the TV to Spanish was inspired! Plus was worth watching cos Jennifer Aniston always appeared to be cold if you get my drift ;o)
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Curb_It said:

Have as many words as you like Jordan's cousin. Ignore the miserable sod.

Utter crap American rubbish watched by birds which wasn't a patch on Cheers

That may well be but i think friends might be a generation thing.
  • Options
    It was good at the time (although not worth the slightly obsessive level of fandom it generated). It hasn't aged well though and is pretty bad if you watch it now (imho).
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Why is there so much exaggeration to make a point these days? Nothing is ever 'not my cup of tea' or 'not very good' it's always 'the worst thing ever'. I did cringe at the start of this thread because it's been copied directly from social media word for word, it assumes that everyone was a part of the Friends phenomenon (which even as a fan annoys me) and it's talking as if the charactera are real people, so straight away the poster was asking for it. But if you don't like Friends then fair enough. If you had said it was 'the worst show ever' 10 years ago it would have been laughable given its success, but to say that today when we have Big Brother, Skating on ice, the jungle one, Geordie shore, towie, real housewives, desperate housewives, kardashians, next top model, X factor, etc I could go on all night, it's downright ludicrous.
  • Options
    I totally agree JS99, as I did 25 or so posts back, when I kind of said said the same thing... ;-)

Gretna Green, you have named four shows, one of which is a remake of a British show, however you wish to dress it up to suit your argument. All those you mention I agree are good comedies - although Curb is Seinfeld in different clothes - given the potential audiences and income, given the panel of writers, as opposed to our own solo or duo of writers, and given that you only really get to see the cream of US comedy over here, do you not think you might be a tad harsh on British sit-coms?
  • Options
    Never quite got how much people loved Seinfeld.

I didn't like everybody loves Raymond to start with but realised eventually what great writing it was.

As for cheers well there's a reason it ran for 270 episodes.
  • Options
    So you could say the same for Friends that produced around 240 episodes??
  • Options
    I've never liked Friends i have to say. But then i struggle with the majority of American sitcoms.
  • Options
    Everybody Loves Raymond is a grower and Deborah gets better as the show goes on.

will throw King Of Queens and Two and a Half Men in as well, most will hate them but I like em.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rules of Engagement makes me chuckle.
  • Options
    And Frasier was quality in it's prime.
  • Options
    I wonder what people who don't get American sitcoms think of The Simpsons and South Park?
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited February 2013
    It's not i don't 'get' them, just don't enjoy them ! Never been a South Park fan, can watch The Simpsons.

Everyones different
  • Options
    Exactly. I cant work out how a man can find 'Miranda' funny. Same with Mrs Browns boys.

If you like them crack on.
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS - Humour is subjective. Pictures at 11.00
  • Options

Exactly. I cant work out how a man can find 'Miranda' funny. Same with Mrs Browns boys.

If you like them crack on.

I'm with you on Mrs Brown's Boys. Have attempted to watch it and just don't get it at all though lots of people I know think it's hilarious.

Takes all sorts I guess.
  • Options
    Mrs Brown's Boys is hilarious! I don't get Miranda though. To say you don't get American humour is odd, it varies a lot.
  • Options

I totally agree JS99, as I did 25 or so posts back, when I kind of said said the same thing... ;-)

Gretna Green, you have named four shows, one of which is a remake of a British show, however you wish to dress it up to suit your argument. All those you mention I agree are good comedies - although Curb is Seinfeld in different clothes - given the potential audiences and income, given the panel of writers, as opposed to our own solo or duo of writers, and given that you only really get to see the cream of US comedy over here, do you not think you might be a tad harsh on British sit-coms?

Possibly but i do watch most comedies that come out of the US or over here as im a comedy nerd, i did not mean to imply that all american comedy is better then british comedy, more that the americans are currently making the best written comedy especially for people like me.

It's an annoying habit they seem to have of eventually beating british tv in most genres, all we have left really is documentaries.

Oh and the office might of started as a remake of a british show but it has evolved over the years in to a completly different show in which Gervais & Merchant have nothing to do with it, so very harsh to put it down as a remake but i can understand that view as it took a couple of years before i gave it a chance as i just assumed the worse.

• Options
    Happy Days was quality.