Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Great Album showdown on BBC4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qkvxr

Enjoyable show and good range of guests. Glad it wasn't the usual top 100 or the usual talking heads.

Rock last night, R & B tonight.

Anyone else watch it?

Comments

• Got it recorded, look forward to it. Any of my type of rock n roll featured B?
  • I've sky plussed it but just read a not too favourable review of it on the Guardian.
  • Got it recorded, look forward to it. Any of my type of rock n roll featured B?

It was very much the golden age of "Rock" vinyl albums so 1970s rather than "rock 'n' roll".

• redcarter said:

I've sky plussed it but just read a not too favourable review of it on the Guardian.

Just read that. talking about missing the point.

NOT having the usual talking heads like Paul Morley was what made it good.

• Haha ok I'll give it a watch when I get in.

It was very much the golden age of "Rock" vinyl albums so 1970s rather than "rock 'n' roll".

Shame, would have been nice to tip a nod to the pioneers, but same as ever it gets ignored. Still look forward to seeing it though.
  • Six out of ten. As someone who's walls are covered with framed classic rock albums I thought I'd give it a watch but I thought the concept and the attempt to intellectualise it failed. Plus it included Jeremy Clarkson.
  • I enjoyed it.
  • Im usually a big fan of both Danny Baker and Jeremy Clarkson but was slightly disappointed with the show, it was a bit dry and could have included a few relevant clips of the music. It did take me back to my youth though and how important a new album was when you bought it, and how important music was then and how much you discussed it with your mates.
  • gave it a watch and thought it would be better - didn't take too much to the record producer, but that's probably because I hate the Smiths and I thought this programme was supposed to be more to do with 70;s rock and not 80's namby pamby music. (Tonights its pop music and Boy George is one of the guests and thursdays is about R&B)

have to say that there were afew nuggets of gold in there - mostly from Danny Baker who really does know his music Clarkeson grew in my estimation, espically as his 3 chosen albums included Rumours & Dark side of the Moon, which are in my top 10 ( I can't ckose a top 5, let alone a top 3) and Danny Baker sealed it by including Physixcal Graffitti as a "bonus" at the end
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2013
    Recorded this, probably have a look tonight. Sounds like a nice change from the normal windbags going on about "the drab post-war consensus" when discussing any music from skiffle to hip-hop.
  • Found it very watchable. I reckon my top three would probably change every time I'm asked. So many great albums back then.
  • One of the most enjoyable programmes I've watched for a while and was even quite impressed by Clarkson. Much of what was said was so true and evoked many memories for me, the whole ritual of studying a sleeve and losing yourself as the vinyl spun. Used to work in a record shop and couldn't go anywhere without tracking down any others.

I pity the young who download music whilst tucked up in bed. Music was life, to many now it's just an accessory to their existence.
  • Yes, it was interesting when talking about the whole different culture of listening to music back then, of LISTENING to the whole album, rather than background noise of your favourite tracks.
    It was a surprisingly serious programe, with the feel akin to a Newsnight discussion in the studio!
  • Went on 15/20 minutes too long and Danny Baker still doesn't let guests finish the question he asked.

• edited February 2013

One of the most enjoyable programmes I've watched for a while and was even quite impressed by Clarkson. Much of what was said was so true and evoked many memories for me, the whole ritual of studying a sleeve and losing yourself as the vinyl spun. Used to work in a record shop and couldn't go anywhere without tracking down any others.

I really expected to dislike this, with Baker and Clarkson, who have become irksome, but was astonished by Baker's choices, Zappa, and Joni Mitchell?.
    and Jon Hiseman's colosseumn and Hot Rats, another Zappa, by one of the panel. Todd Rundgren Baker's favourite album...... Bowie and Zep.
    Interesting idea about the 'Paraphernalia' as Zappa might quip, re cover artwork, and coloured vinyl, I had to acknowledge that 'Danny boy' did love his music, and even mentioned Nick Drake?.
    At this rate they will have Hendrix as composer of the week on 'radio 3'......

• Baker and Clarkson together ? .. I'll pass on that one
  • I thought of you Henry when after picking out Joni Mitchell, Danny Baker finished off with........

Physical Graffiti :-)
  • edited February 2013

...... I hate the Smiths ......

Surprised there, Golfie. I thought you listened to the Smiths every matchday.

;o)

• Don't be silly Oggy, the Smiths are far too upbeat for Golfie. He taps his toes to 'Now.....That's What I Call Funeral Marches Vol 3'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

I thought of you Henry when after picking out Joni Mitchell, Danny Baker finished off with........

Physical Graffiti :-)

He does have very catholic tastes. And Frank Zappa. I I just never got him.

Some of Clarkson's other albums were "who's next", the 1st Clash album and "Innervisions." he should have gone with them.

Also Stephen Street and Clarkson are almost the same age (and both older than me, just)
  • Stephen Street did pull out 'Transformer' though - great album.
  • Addickted said:

Stephen Street did pull out 'Transformer' though - great album.

One of the best and still one of my favourite covers. Great production from Mick Ronson.

I'm going for my top three rock albums today as

Transformer
    Blood on the tracks
    The Clash

But tomorrow it could be

Horses
    Let it bleed
    Veedon Fleece

• Oggy Red said:

...... I hate the Smiths ......

Surprised there, Golfie. I thought you listened to the Smiths every matchday.

;o)

Golfie has never liked The Smiths. He finds them & Morrisey in particular far to upbeat & happy :-)
    Heaven knows he's miserable now.
  • Shame I missed it, although Baker and Clarkson would have put me off anyway.
    I wonder did Baker mention "Looking for the young soul rebels" the first Dexy's album?
    Reason I ask is I remember his NME review of the album on release was so OTT delirious, hailing it's horn driven sound as the end of guitar driven rock!!
    PS Henry - Transformer was produced by Bowie and Ronson. Those that were there have testified to Ronno's musicianship and arranging skills but it wouldn't have happened without Bowie. Daft to omit him
  • The main person on Transformer was Lou Reed. Wrote all the songs and sang and played on them all.

What did Bowie do apart from some backing vocals? ; - )
  • Anyway about to sit down for part two.
  • The main person on Transformer was Lou Reed. Wrote all the songs and sang and played on them all.

What did Bowie do apart from some backing vocals? ; - )

Make-up and shoes. Pivotal ;-)

• The dude from Sparks with the tache used to freak me right out.
  • Can't argue with Danny Baker throwing in 'Off The Wall', it really is a quality piece of music. Have to say as well that I wouldn't mind sitting down and having a chat with Boy George, quite an engaging fella.