Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great Album showdown on BBC4

Comments

• Options
    Thought the "pop" one was better than the first programme, and for the first time ever I thought Boy George came over quite well.
  • Options
    Local lad after all! Would love to see an SE London based prog!
    The Kick Inside
    30 Something
    Argy Bargy
    Any of the Jools Big Band Albums
    Hounds of Love
    - and The Silencers' contact address remains in Kidbrooke Park Road!
  • Options
    Just watched the 1st one, although I love a lot of seventies stuff & Baker is right 71 was an absolutely vintage year, its kind of sad that these old (not much older than me) fogeys don't give today's music a chance - there are some absolutely brilliant bands/artists out there making music every bit as good as the legendary recordings of that era - they just don't get the misty eyed old nostalgia hounds banging on about them all the time - music is as alive, diverse & vibrant now as it was then - its just buried under all the X-factor crap.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Just watched the 1st one, although I love a lot of seventies stuff & Baker is right 71 was an absolutely vintage year, its kind of sad that these old (not much older than me) fogeys don't give today's music a chance - there are some absolutely brilliant bands/artists out there making music every bit as good as the legendary recordings of that era - they just don't get the misty eyed old nostalgia hounds banging on about them all the time - music is as alive, diverse & vibrant now as it was then - its just buried under all the X-factor crap.

Very true, in light of the R&B category thats being shown tonight. I want to mention an artist who has emerged in the last 6-7 years, her name is Ledisi, a neo-soul/jazz artist that is every bit as good as the Motown era. Her albums "turn me loose", "lost and found" and "pieces of me" are all masterpieces.
  • Options
    Watching over the last couple of nights has made me realise I spent far too much time on my own in my adolescence.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Halix said:

Thought the "pop" one was better than the first programme, and for the first time ever I thought Boy George came over quite well.

Agree. Enjoyed this one more than the rock although the dividing line between pop and rock is very vague. Ziggy was one of the rock albums picked but Hunky Dory was pop.

I also agree with others that that the format is limiting and overly nostalgic but it is what it is.

It was good to have people talking about popular music seriously over a long TV show rather than the "Remember space hoppers?, well that was the 70s" shows we get too often.

• Options
    Much better last night as there was a stronger character (Boy George) to quell DB down a little.

Cannot abide Grace Dent though.
  • Options
    Is the R n B one going to be about real R n B, or the modern mainstream dross they now call R n B?
  • Options
    As the guests as Trevor Nelson, Alicia (sp?) Paris and Martin Freeman it sounds like what I would call soul music
  • Options
    Martin Freeman is a dyed-in-the-wool Mod so expect some Northern Soul, Tamla, Stax, ska and reggae!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Is the R n B one going to be about real R n B, or the modern mainstream dross they now call R n B?

There is a lot of dross today, but there are also some fantastic artists staying true to the proper R&B sound, you just have to dig further for them to be found.

If they do mention modern stuff tonight, I hope they mention the following artists:

Ledisi (as I mentioned a few posts above), Dwele, Maxwell, Van Hunt, Raheem Devaughn, Marsha Ambrosius, Jill Scott, Chrisette Michele, Yahzarah, The Foreign Exchange, Kindred the family Soul (Husband and wife group).

All of these never get radio play but are massively talented, have big followings underground and are fantastic live or on cd/mp3/vinyl and stick to the classic sound and deserve some shine, particularly Dwele for his "Subject" album.

• Options

Martin Freeman is a dyed-in-the-wool Mod so expect some Northern Soul, Tamla, Stax, ska and reggae!

That's my kind of music ! Will take a look tonight, thanks guys for the heads up.

• Options
    Ya see, I call soul music "soul music" - when I think what they now call R n B I think of R. Kelly, Keith Sweat and numerous black American women who all blend into one person - that, of course could be my error, but would it not have been easier to come up with a different name to distinguish it from proper R n B, I wonder?
  • Options
    For me the term R&B became redundant when acts like Britney Spears began appearing on compilations under the R&B banner. Lazy marketing no doubt allowed for the blurring between genuine 'soulful' artists who blew up in the 90s with a new hip-hop soul sound and pop artists who recognised that sticking an 'urban' beat on their track or hiring a producer like Timbaland equals payday.
    There are still artists who hold true to the 90s R&B sound but I simply file them under 'soul' now, alongside my Curtis, my Otis and my Stevie.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I think when Algarve talks about " R & B" he means 1940s and 50s not 1990s.

: - )
  • Options
    I kinda thought that and that's part of the problem. When I got into the 90s version of R&B I knew the artists that I was appreciating had little to do with the rhythm and bluesman who performed under the original R&B banner that influenced the Stones etc.

Bloody confusing all these sub genres. Music is music.
  • Options

I kinda thought that and that's part of the problem. When I got into the 90s version of R&B I knew the artists that I was appreciating had little to do with the rhythm and bluesman who performed under the original R&B banner that influenced the Stones etc.

Bloody confusing all these sub genres. Music is music.

I don't have a problem with a certain amount of pigeonholing, as most of us tend to like a certain kind of music, so it helps point us in the right direction to what we might like. But to reuse a previous term for something with little or nothing in common with the original ( such as R n B and Garage ) is unnecessary when there are so many words in the English language you could use.
  • Options
    Never been a fan of the 3 minute wonder, but that is my loss......
    Thought George came over well, First pop record I was bought was the same as Hepworth's ' with the Beatles'....
  • Options
    Jill Scott & Anthony Hamilton - So In Love
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1OC_XmeIck

The Foreign Exchange - Take Off The Blues
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef5Bn6rnJUY

Ledisi - Going Through Changes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHXmBP-_ztA

Some fine examples of R&B (or whatever you want to call it) in recent times that hasnt been fed down everyones throats.

• Options
    Not my cup of tea at all Twiggy, but thanks for taking the trouble to share it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for posting Twiggy, some fine tunes. Big fan of Anthony Hamilton myself.
  • Options

redcarter said:

I've sky plussed it but just read a not too favourable review of it on the Guardian.

Just read that. talking about missing the point.

NOT having the usual talking heads like Paul Morley was what made it good.

Exactly, don't know why The Guardian didn't like it as I thought the concept was a bit like The Culture Show and surely that's right up their street.
  • Options
    Another good show. Bill Whithers Live at Carnegie Hall. Wow
  • Options
    Enjoyed last nights the most out of the three, purely because it was more relevant to my taste of music. Overall though, three nights of, imo, really good, memory invoking television.
  • Options
    Should be more of this sort of music show.

As East Terrace said like the Culture show but just music. Old, new, weird, mainstream.
  • Options
    no better guy to front this show than Danny ....

i think it just should be him and no guests! Truly was a golden age of the album
    and musical genres or am i just biaised as it was "my era"?

great show!
  • Options
    Now, see, I was waiting for the promised return to his favourite all time album: Todd Rundgren's A Wizard/A True Star. I had a little chat to Danny Baker after one of Todd Rundgren's Jazz Cafe shows last year, and he was an absolute gent.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    hawksmoor said:

I had a little chat to Danny Baker after one of Todd Rundgren's Jazz Cafe shows last year, and he was an absolute gent.

You obviously didn't tell him you were Charlton.
  • Options
    I was tempted. He shook my hand. Yes, I admit I've shaken the hand of a Spanner. It's not something I'm proud of.
  • Options
    It was nice and refreshing to watch a host/celebrity guest format show that was honest (i.e. genuinely ad-lib) and not heavily scripted and structured to get cheap laughs (Johnathon Ross, Graham Norton, Have I got News for you, Top Gear and anything with Stephen Fry).

Interesting and knowledgeable people making and exchanging genuine observations about things they are passionate about.

Reminded me of the great days of Michael Parkinson.

Even Clarkson was palatable when he is not following his interminably boring anti Guardian, anti PC script with the canned laughter in the background.