Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pistorious (pg 26 - now charged with Murder)

Comments

• Options

is that from Private Eye .. or 'The Times' ?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Surely his career is over? Will he be fit enough to compete when he is eventually allowed to? If taking drugs can get you banned for life, then surely killing someone is at least as bad as that?

The drugs thing is because they are designed to improve performance (ie cheating ) and I'm not sure commiting manslaughter does that.

How about a conviction for Rape ?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Fiiiiiish said:

Baffling, one rule for one and one rule for another.

If she had shot him in panic of an intruder, would the sentence have been the same?

There's possibly one rule for one and one for another, but you cannot use an imaginary sentence for an imaginary crime to support that argument.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
  • Options

That's not funny.

That's hilarious.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

5 years. Doesn't seem enough if you don't agree with the verdict but then for most of us that comes down to emotion, supposition and guess work, not facts. life and legality is complicated and imperfect and always will be.

• Options
    It seemed strange to me, that the judge was reading out her own notes for the judgement and yet she seemed to stumble over many of the words as if she was reading someone else's statement. Am I just being suspicious or is there more to this than meets the eye?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

It seemed strange to me, that the judge was reading out her own notes for the judgement and yet she seemed to stumble over many of the words as if she was reading someone else's statement. Am I just being suspicious or is there more to this than meets the eye?

Lawyers' writing is usually as bad as doctors'.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Don't think there is any more than a judge been given the single biggest/highest profile case for many many years in South Africa and knowing the whole world will be listening/judging her verdict. She's come under stick during the case (mostly from people who have no knowledge of South African law, if any at all) and can be pretty sure she'll take a lot of flack for the verdict (and would have regardless of her decision.) Judges have to be able to handle a lot of pressure/stress but I doubt many will have had anything quite like this before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    U get longer for not paying your council tax wot a joke .
  • Options
    I agree. A complete joke. An unfunny one. I'd like to remind everyone, this is just my opinion and that is formulated by friends and colleagues in SA
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

How could he possibly know that shooting 4 bullets into a small room could kill someone.

THat's exactly what he was found guilty of, what's your point?
    Lol. Looks like the sarcasm police are out in force.
    Not sarcasm, I just don't see what point you are trying to make.
    You will have to forgive me. I binned my law degree in the 1st year so I base my opinion on what I think may have happened rather than any actual legal insight. Yes he was found guilty of manslaughter because he couldnt possibly know that shooting 4 times through a door would actually kill someone. My personal opinion is that when you fire a gun four times (not once) into a small room that someone is standing in, your only intention is to kill them.
    Personally if I was looking to murder someone, I'd make sure my view and my shot wasn't obstructed by a door.
    So, in fear of your life, and armed with a powerful handgun capable of killing someone from a very long distance, you would in fact approach within arms reach of your assailant? Given, that you are disabled and on your stumps at the time, that seems extraordinarily brave. I applaud you Sir!!

Give me strength...

• Options
    Rizzo said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

How could he possibly know that shooting 4 bullets into a small room could kill someone.

You will have to forgive me. I binned my law degree in the 1st year so I base my opinion on what I think may have happened rather than any actual legal insight. Yes he was found guilty of manslaughter because he couldnt possibly know that shooting 4 times through a door would actually kill someone. My personal opinion is that when you fire a gun four times (not once) into a small room that someone is standing in, your only intention is to kill them.
    Personally if I was looking to murder someone, I'd make sure my view and my shot wasn't obstructed by a door.
    So, in fear of your life, and armed with a powerful handgun capable of killing someone from a very long distance, you would in fact approach within arms reach of your assailant? Given, that you are disabled and on your stumps at the time, that seems extraordinarily brave. I applaud you Sir!!

Give me strength...

I don't know what you are insinuating here?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Rizzo said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Give me strength...

I'm pointing out that your contention that someone wanting to shoot someone would go and open the door first is ridiculous.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

colthe3rd said:

Rizzo said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Give me strength...

I'm pointing out that your contention that someone wanting to shoot someone would go and open the door first is ridiculous.

Shoot or murder them?

And that isn't want I was saying anyway.
  • Options
    Prosecution are appealing: bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29895786
  • Options
    The prosecution have been granted leave to appeal the conviction (or lack thereof).

bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30408424
  • Options
    this is going to run and run
  • Options
    Funny how this has resurfaced after the Dewani case wrapped up. The SA justice system must have become addicted to overblown, overhyped cases that capture the imagination of the international community.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's expected to be released on parole in August !
  • Options
    Can't believe the first judge ever reached that decision to start with. Hope he gets a very long stretch!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Hope he gets a very long stretch!

He won't fit on the rack.
  • Options
    I'm sure something else will get stretched whilst he's inside.
  • Options
    Disgraceful it's taken this long and I feel for her family having to relive it all again - but this is justice
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Can't believe the first judge ever reached that decision to start with. Hope he gets a very long stretch!

Seems unlikely - apparently he goes back to the original judge for re-sentencing.

She won't be happy having her verdict overturned, and the new sentence might well reflect that.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Can't believe the first judge ever reached that decision to start with.!

$$$$$$$$$
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Rizzo said:

Seems unlikely - apparently he goes back to the original judge for re-sentencing.

She won't be happy having her verdict overturned, and the new sentence might well reflect that.
    Minimum 15 years though apparently.