Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chinese medical care

13»

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Is acupuncture taught at medical school?

It would appear that in Chinese medical schools, yes.

• Options

seth plum said:

I boycott everything chinese. their animal abuse is disgusting, bear bile farms and the near extinction of the black rhino because of some ridiculously stupid notion that the horn of the rhino contains some cure for piles or some other pathetic ailment? kill them all I say.

Do you mean kill all Chinese?

yes<?(:%~}}>
    I am assuming you're joking right?
    Otherwise for some of us your statement becomes up close and personal.

• Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I boycott everything chinese. their animal abuse is disgusting, bear bile farms and the near extinction of the black rhino because of some ridiculously stupid notion that the horn of the rhino contains some cure for piles or some other pathetic ailment? kill them all I say.

Yeah - I'm gonna go with Seth here. That's a fucking stupid thing to say.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Dave2l said:

People in Hong Kong have the 3rd highest life expectancy throughout the world. Japan are 1st, UK 23rd.

But - males at birth - in china life expectancy of 72 years; in the uk 78 years. Take into account they they have a better diet than us and don't get blitzed on booze, (not sure about smoking though) and don't have Scots in their statistics, I'd suggest you might be better sticking with conventional western health care!

you've never been to china have you?

Not unless you include HK and Macau, no. Mind you, that was back when they were being properly governed.....
    They're not China.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well.... Technically... They are Special Administrative Regions of the PRC, yo

Buuuut.... Having lived in Taiwan (where TCM is even more prevalent.... And readily available on their version of the nhs) and spent a lot of time in hk and macau, i do agree with the thrust of your point....

Even if almost all mainland chinese, a majority of macau citizens and a surprisingly increasing number of hong kongers would disagree...

Back onto tcm...

I have treated loads of footy related sprains, twists and bruises with a variety of (mostly plum scented) concotions over the years... They work pretty well for me. I wonder if they would stand up to scientific scrutiny. Wonder if anyone is doing the research.

When i get a cold, people strongly advise me to go see a doc of either western or chinese medicine (both are available, btw... Just in case anyone isnt aware). I dont bother. Colds seems to get better in 3-4 days regardless of whether you use chinese medicine, western medicine or no medicine at all (sounds like a question for danny bakers sausage sandwich game).

• Options
    You can get acupuncture on the NHS. There's scientific evidence that it helps with lower back pain, migraines, post-operative nausea (from the NHS website). There's a certain type of people, many of whom I seem to be friends with, who feel they can completely disregard something like Chinese medicine because it's not Western Science. Well, here you are. Our own hospitals are using it and it works.
  • Options
    Good point chunes

Sooooo... Why are there people on here saying it doesnt stand up to scientific scrutiny...???

Hmmmmm.... A little too quick to lump all treatments together as 'alternative'?

And this by people trumpeting rigorous analytical reasoning.... Surely not?

;)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I don't think people seem to understand that most of the people here disputing the pretend medicines that people say "work" are not disputing that they can cure you

They are merely disputing that they do not work medically, they work because of the effect they have on the mind, which is of course a massively powerful tool.

Let's not forget when people have cancer it is always important to stay massively positive. It's even the case that there are a drop in deaths in old people before Christmas and a rise just after, almost as if people can will themselves on.

The mind in many cases is a stronger tool than much of modern medicine, and putting needles in you seem to give the mind the right motivation in some people.

That is why the NHS use it..
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Huskaris said:

I don't think people seem to understand that most of the people here disputing the pretend medicines that people say "work" are not disputing that they can cure you

They are merely disputing that they do not work medically, they work because of the effect they have on the mind, which is of course a massively powerful tool.

Let's not forget when people have cancer it is always important to stay massively positive. It's even the case that there are a drop in deaths in old people before Christmas and a rise just after, almost as if people can will themselves on.

The mind in many cases is a stronger tool than much of modern medicine, and putting needles in you seem to give the mind the right motivation in some people.

Wrong. Sorry.

A clinical study across 18,000 people was published last year that showed that acupuncture's results for back pain were superior to no-acupuncture and sham-acupuncture. That solidly disproves it as just placebo.

• Options
    Chunes said:

Huskaris said:

Wrong. Sorry.

A clinical study across 18,000 people was published last year that showed that acupuncture's results for back pain were superior to no-acupuncture and sham-acupuncture. That solidly disproves it as just placebo.

Show me the source and I might believe it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Google it. CNN, The Guardian, BBC, take your pick.

Afterwards, perhaps you could show me your source for where you got "putting needles in you seem to give the mind the right motivation in some people. That is why the NHS use it" from.... Since we're trading solid sources of information.
  • Options
    http://www.fibromynet.nl/pdf/acupunctuur-Washington.pdf

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/11932074

http://acupmed.bmjjournals.com/content/20/4/168.abstract

There are plenty more.

I'm sorry but it's just ridiculous. But if you believe it and it works, go for it...

Personally I believe that reading the BBC website cures you of a cold. Every time I do it my cold clears up within a few days.

I also believe that Oxygen kills you, it just takes about 80 years.

• Options
    I tried acupuncture to try and ease Hayfever when i was about 14.

Actually think my dad is a bit of a dick for even taking me. Probably thought it was funny looking at me laying there with about 30 needles in my face.

Didnt work.
  • Options

I tried acupuncture to try and ease Hayfever when i was about 14.

Actually think my dad is a bit of a dick for even taking me. Probably thought it was funny looking at me laying there with about 30 needles in my face.

Didnt work.

I went for a penis enlargement but when they said just a little prick Mr Trotta I got offended and left before they insulted me further.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

well i did say yes didn't i and put a smilely face ?

but i do boycott anything from china because of the reasons i've already given and while you might be offended because you may have chinese friends or family, it doesn't take away the barbaric behaviour of those that do these terrible deeds?
  • Options
    Oh, OK, I didn't recognise that as a smiley face.
    There are barbaric people acting in barbaric ways all over. They should rightly be condemned.
    But not the whole race of people they come from.
  • Options

Well.... Technically... They are Special Administrative Regions of the PRC, yo

You and I can both rock up to HK and get 180 days entrance, no questions asked. Can a Chinese person? Nope.

It's not china.

How often do Londoners have to get a visa to go to Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Some should have to Stu ;o)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Oh, OK, I didn't recognise that as a smiley face.
    There are barbaric people acting in barbaric ways all over. They should rightly be condemned.
    But not the whole race of people they come from.

but if that whole race of people, do nothing to stop, what's happening on their own doorstep, perhaps they should all be accused of calluding with the problem and that is of course to be said of any nations populace?
  • Options
    Your logic seems to suggest that all Chinese people are colluding with barbaric practices done by people who share their ethnic DNA. They are colluding because phenomenologically the barbaric practices continue which means there is no effective opposition. Therefore you seem to suggest earlier in the thread that if those of Chinese DNA don't put their house in order to your satisfaction they should be killed.
    Where would you suggest starting this ethnically based genocide?