Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

There's something about Powelly

Comments

• Options

sm said:

Valley11 said:

Agree 100%. This team has the feel of the Curbs side a season or two after we returned to The Valley - bobbing around mid table but with a great team spirit and the togetherness to go the next step.
    Then Mendonca signed.
    Here's hoping the board are planning to pump some cash in this summer. If they do....exciting times indeed.

I don't think Mendonca cost that much - hopefully Curbs passed on his scouting skills as well.

Was 800k wasn't it. Quite a stash for us back then.

Was our record signing at the time, before that our record was probably the 500K we paid for McLaughlin from Chelsea in 1989.

Once we got promoted we broke it again pretty quickly with the 1 million for Redfearn.
  • Options
    He's an amazing guy and Charlton through and through. He's clearly learnt from a few mistakes recently and completely rectified them tonight with an inspired change that won the game for us. It's his first go in management. He's got to learn somehow! Even Fergie was a game away from the sack at united and now look at him!
  • Options
    He's as committed and passionate as anyone in the game. As a player he pushed himself as far as he could and that resulted in him playing for his country. He was an intelligent player that read the game well. He played in promotion winning teams and relegation battles, he knows what makes a winning team.

Once we know we've stayed up the board should offer him an extended contract and hopefully sort out a decent budget to improve the squad in the summer.

Given the chance he will get us there and he'll do it his own way. I don't think many managers could do much better with this squad. Many would do worse.

Rather than overreacting after every lost point we should let the man get on with his job. No one will agree with every tactical decision or substitution, that's the case with any manager.

What we can be sure of is that these players under Powell are very motivated and work very hard as a team. If we add some more quality to go with the hard work and team spirit this squad could be challenging for another promotion under Powell.
  • Options
    No doubt about it. He is the dogz bolix
  • Options
    Scoham said:

He's as committed and passionate as anyone in the game. As a player he pushed himself as far as he could and that resulted in him playing for his country. He was an intelligent player that read the game well. He played in promotion winning teams and relegation battles, he knows what makes a winning team.

Once we know we've stayed up the board should offer him an extended contract and hopefully sort out a decent budget to improve the squad in the summer.

Given the chance he will get us there and he'll do it his own way. I don't think many managers could do much better with this squad. Many would do worse.

Rather than overreacting after every lost point we should let the man get on with his job. No one will agree with every tactical decision or substitution, that's the case with any manager.

What we can be sure of is that these players under Powell are very motivated and work very hard as a team. If we add some more quality to go with the hard work and team spirit this squad could be challenging for another promotion under Powell.

Amen to that Sco!
  • Options

sm said:

Valley11 said:

Agree 100%. This team has the feel of the Curbs side a season or two after we returned to The Valley - bobbing around mid table but with a great team spirit and the togetherness to go the next step.
    Then Mendonca signed.
    Here's hoping the board are planning to pump some cash in this summer. If they do....exciting times indeed.

I don't think Mendonca cost that much - hopefully Curbs passed on his scouting skills as well.

And isn't curbs convinced to this day Richard Murray paid for him out of his own pocket. The phrase "look, do you want to f**king sign him or not?!" Seems to stay with me from curbs' book.
  • Options
    Huge fucking balls thats the something about scp
  • Options
    we just need to be afraid of him being tempted away.possible if the doom mongers come out to play too often.
  • Options

Huge fucking balls thats the something about scp

He had them cloned from Yann's.

• Options
    Let's get another half hour rendition of "Chrissy Powell's Red and White Army" going again on Saturday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How about we laud this praise on him when the going is tougher (ie - after we have lost a game against Hull City)?

Tune has mightily changed on here.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

How about we laud this praise on him when the going is tougher (ie - after we have lost a game against Hull City)?

Tune has mightily changed on here.

This exactly.
    The fickleness of some people on here is beyond me.
  • Options
    I Don't get carried away with success, I don't get carried away with failure. I do get a little bit carried away when it comes to Chris Powell. Win or lose, he knows what we are about. Keep the faith gang! You know it makes sense...
  • Options
    Oh, yes, agree with you Anna! Alex D. Is a good guy too. Shared a beer or two in the bar when we were playing at Selhurst.
  • Options
    I had the honour, and it was an honour to meet him on 2 occasions whilst back in the uk. You just sense that he has that special something about him. You don't become pfa chairman if your not respected and liked. A great man and you'd run through walls for him. Love the bloke.
  • Options
    Like anyone else he should be open to criticism but we also have to remember that he's still very very inexperienced as a manager especially at this level and also has his hands a bit tied financially .

I for one am desperate for him to succeed hopefully with us but if not then he's such a fantastic fella that I'd be happy to see him do well anywhere (Palace and Millwall excepted obviously)
  • Options

He will be a great manager if people give him time

If he can't get time at Cafc he will only get it at Leicester

Fucking embarrassment that people can not afford to give this great man the time he deserves after the service as player and manger that this great man has given us

Anyone who doesn't agree is a clown

Agree 100%

• Options
    Just watch the interview of him after beating Carlisle. With tears in his eyes, you can see how much this club means to him.
    Long may he remain at the helm. Make no mistake, we need this man!
  • Options

sm said:

Valley11 said:

Then Mendonca signed.

I remember it being a lot of money for us. Bit of a gamble by the board that paid off spectacularly.
    Remember the Bradford game at home when Mendonca scored two and looked unplayable? He was the missing piece of the jigsaw. This side is similar. It just needs a Mendonca.
  • Options
    After all what has gone on since Curbs left . 3 mangers in one season two relegations . Then possibly a good man in charge who was not backed . Just looked at what he has done at Bradford. Chris is the right man for the job he is still young and learning . Fergie went 5 years before he won any thing . You need stability at the top !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When he came home and took the job his first observations were that this was not the Charlton he joined it did not have any sign of the club he loves and he knew he had to first find the ingridants that made Cafc what it actually is

He talks only in the context of his and our club in everything he does

I will support him till the end because in the words of NSS JR he is Proper Charlton

Unlike those who wish to do him harm
  • Options

When he came home and took the job his first observations were that this was not the Charlton he joined it did not have any sign of the club he loves and he knew he had to first find the ingridants that made Cafc what it actually is

He talks only in the context of his and our club in everything he does

I will support him till the end because in the words of NSS JR he is Proper Charlton

Unlike those who wish to do him harm

This.

And that is why the Danny Haynes sub and goal is a massive victory for all proper Charlton.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I think there are a few reasons for the flak SCP has had to put up with.

1/ last year was too easy- I think a few people thought we would carry on from last year and walk the league.
    2/ for whatever reason ( pitch/ pressure/ opposition negativity) most of the best performances have been away from home, where the majority have not seen the best of this team.
    3/ Maybe a very small minority of the anti SCP posters cant get past the colour of his skin, and this influences their negative opinions.
    4/ He's still learning and makes a few mistakes, but hasn't had the funds available to paper over the cracks and had to rely on loanees.

However I hope most of us are proud he's our boss, are prepared for the occasional glitch and will give him time. His heart and mind are in the right place, and with the off field problems at the club he's currently the glue holding it all together.

• Options

Some of the stuff on here about Powell and his 'tactics' and 'bad substitutions' have been a fecking joke, I don't bother coming on here much after a loss because of the amount of bollocks being spoken by the usual suspects.

Powell, quite clearly, is a Curbishley style manager, pragmatic, cautious and mostly risk-averse (as you'd expect from a defender).

I mean, the equaliser Brum scored the other week was pure arse, a mis-hit shot bobbles across the box for a tap-in - a pure freak goal - and yet people on here gave Powell pelters for his 'substitutions' - sheer madness.

This.....But dont you just know some muppet will give him the chop and on he will go to be top manager somewhere else.
  • Options
    Is it at all true/possible that Chrissy's job could have been on the line with the Board at any time this season this season? Surely not given the growth and strengthened position since he joined 2 years ago. And yet, these mystery men behind the scenese often work in weird and mysterious ways as we have seen with some appalling shenanigins at other clubs (e.g. Atkins @ Southampton) where amazing achievement (such as his!) has been trumped by other agendas at play by far more powerful 'players' at the club.

This thread has prompted me to imagine how I felt if our Board had such an 'agenda' and Powelly was outed and the very next day (for example) Dennis Wise was unveiled as our 'new' saviour. Even putting this reprobate's name to one side, I think I'd have to be changing a habit of a lifetime (apart from going on the pitch at the 'last game at the valley' v. Stoke in 1985) I could see me wanting to take part in the most extreme protestations possible.

Like all on here, I absolutely love our football club. It's been in my veins for more than 35 years now. I've been everywhere, seen pretty much all of the definitive matches in Charlton's ups and downs as far back as the 80's (Stamford Bridge, St Andrews, Carlisle x2, Villa (4-3), Harlow Town etc etc etc) and I firmly believe that we have a 'Charlton' man at our helm in Chrissy P. He simply IS Charlton. There should be no question of needing to 'give him time' because he is living that time now. We're on the way back. Like an earleir post, I believe we're a 'Mendonca' away from making an even bigger step back to the true Big Time.

I'm keeping the faith and will do so even if we lose a 1-0 lead again on Saturday. We have all gotta keep this in perspective, take a pause when hitting those frustrating lows and remember where we've got to in a relatively short space of time under SCP.

COYR.
  • Options
    Didn't realise his middle name is Robin...class.
  • Options
    I don't agree your point number 3 has any bearing on people's gripe with Powell

Halix
  • Options
    im sure he said when he became manager that it wasnt charlton anymore and he was going to get it back how it should be, decent hard working pros with a great ethic on and off the pitch, powelly has done that he has raised our heads put our shoulders back and puffed out our chests no more looking down, heads up high and lets see where we are im 3 years time
  • Options

I don't agree your point number 3 has any bearing on people's gripe with Powell

I really hope not, but I get the impression that for some it effects their opinion.

Halix