Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yann Kermorgant

Comments

• Options
    Loved that tap of the heart during his ovation. Was welling up...
  • Options
    Unashamedly love the man
  • Options

Kap10 said:

I hope Bournemouth go up! Would be nice to see how Yann, Francis and Harry Arter get on in the premier league!

Only Arter has a chance of hacking it.
    Wrong. Kermo is easily good enough. Look at Ulloa this season.
    We'll see
  • Options
    Bournemouth played KMG just behind the strikers, it was a really good position for him and did some lovely link up play. Looked in good shape. It would be great to see him play in the Premiership.
  • Options
    Behind the strikers? He was one of two strikers in a 4-4-2. He did play deeper than Wilson but they were definitely in the big man/little man mould.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Serious question, will there ever be another Yann Kermorgant?
  • Options
    I <3 Yann.
  • Options

Yann was simply worth more to Bournemouth than he was to us - they knew they could push on this season whilst we were clearly in a rebuilding phase. As we've also just seen, he is used in a different role there whilst we used to just pump long balls in his general direction.

We freed up probably £750k in wages, earned a fee and created the room for the likes of JBG and Igor to come in, both of whom will have resale value.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge he's a great guy/player and it was ok to let him go.

Except that we a) didn't replace him with Igor, we replaced him with Reza and Polish Pete and b) we ourselves have been playing it around on the deck a lot more this season so he would gave been a perfect fit for us too.

I don't think it matters which way you cut it, Yann's sale weakened the squad and the fact he has gone on to be a first choice and significant performer for this season's champions who won the league by having the most potent attack just further highlights just how much his talent was underestimated by whoever decided we could get better for less money. I think he's probably shown himself to be an even better player than even some Charlton fans thought he was.

Mistakes are made, hopefully the club has learnt its lesson and won't give up the likes of JoBerg so easily this summer, but there's no way selling Yann was a good decision in any way.

We were in the bottom three when he left
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I couldn't go today and as it turned out I'm thankful. Seeing Yann play so well in a team winning the league would have stung more than a little.

He's one of my favourite players in my Charlton supporting lifetime and it could so easily have been different with him still here. To hear of him still openly having an affinity with us and the fans almost makes it worse.

As AFKA said, football is an emotive game. Any time a club loses a hero that people identify with like Yann, then they lose something. Without that emotion then you're just watching 11 men kicking a piece of leather around. This is is still something that RD has to prove to me that he understands about football.

I should move on and be over Yann but I haven't and I'm not. I'm delighted for him, but I'm glad I didn't have to see it.
  • Options

Yann was simply worth more to Bournemouth than he was to us - they knew they could push on this season whilst we were clearly in a rebuilding phase. As we've also just seen, he is used in a different role there whilst we used to just pump long balls in his general direction.

We freed up probably £750k in wages, earned a fee and created the room for the likes of JBG and Igor to come in, both of whom will have resale value.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge he's a great guy/player and it was ok to let him go.

Except that we a) didn't replace him with Igor, we replaced him with Reza and Polish Pete and b) we ourselves have been playing it around on the deck a lot more this season so he would gave been a perfect fit for us too.

I don't think it matters which way you cut it, Yann's sale weakened the squad and the fact he has gone on to be a first choice and significant performer for this season's champions who won the league by having the most potent attack just further highlights just how much his talent was underestimated by whoever decided we could get better for less money. I think he's probably shown himself to be an even better player than even some Charlton fans thought he was.

Mistakes are made, hopefully the club has learnt its lesson and won't give up the likes of JoBerg so easily this summer, but there's no way selling Yann was a good decision in any way.

And Bournemouth are top so what's your point?

• Options

Someone said we were weakened - last time I checked we were 12th
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Yes, because money was spent on strengthening other areas of the squad but not the money selling Yann generated, that was already spunked on Polish Pete and Reza, neither whom are good enough to lace Yann's boots.

We probably had two players in our squad last year who were the match for most of their peers in the division - Solly and Yann. We let Yann go and when we realized we needed someone like him we tried to replace him with Tucudean, another on who wasn't nearly good enough to even partially fill the Yann shaped hole in the squad.

We finished 12th despite selling Yann, not because we sold him. We also finished the season with the manager, sorry head coach, saying he wants to sign a physically combative no. 9. We had one, in fact we had one of the best at his level and we let him go for not a particularly significant sum of money.

To deliberately misquote you, I think it's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge he's a great guy/player and it was a flawed decision to let him go.
  • Options

Kermorgant is a better forward than what we have, end of.

• Options
    Better than all of ours put together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Showed what a good player he is and also reminded me of how bad powells tactics were lumping it up to his head! Constantly. Age is fast catching up with him now though so we move on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    If you run a football team on what the spreadsheets tell you,
    Then you let a 32 year old go for peanuts, or 400K. (nutty decision)
    Yann was the focus of so many of Bournemouth's moves yesterday.
    The simple passes off to Wilson and Ritchie were clean and tidy.
    wore the number 10 and was the conductor who called the tune to the eager band members. They could use Plan A (keep the ball on the desk) all day as we didn't have the legs to get near them(missed Jordan Cousins big time)

Talking of Spreadsheets there biggest weakness is their is no room for the
    Je ne sais quoi (X factor)

Are you Listening Brentford ?
    Letting Mark Warburton go who has just got you to The play offs because
    he doesn't believe in taking the human element out of decisions !
  • Options

If you run a football team on what the spreadsheets tell you,
    Then you let a 32 year old go for peanuts, or 400K. (nutty decision)
    Yann was the focus of so many of Bournemouth's moves yesterday.
    The simple passes off to Wilson and Ritchie were clean and tidy.
    wore the number 10 and was the conductor who called the tune to the eager band members. They could use Plan A (keep the ball on the desk) all day as we didn't have the legs to get near them(missed Jordan Cousins big time)

Talking of Spreadsheets there biggest weakness is their is no room for the
    Je ne sais quoi (X factor)

Are you Listening Brentford ?
    Letting Mark Warburton go who has just got you to The play offs because
    he doesn't believe in taking the human element out of decisions.

Sentiments accepted but Yann now has players around him who respond to him, who put in the work to feed off him.

You can be the best player in the world but if your team mates aren't up to it or up for it, you are peeing in the wind. Last season Yann spent too much time peeing in the wind.

He has completely different dynamics at Bournemouth at this time.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Yes, they played very fluidly as a team. With us, you can see the lines between defence, midfield and attack sometimes.
  • Options

Showed what a good player he is and also reminded me of how bad powells tactics were lumping it up to his head! Constantly. Age is fast catching up with him now though so we move on

So true, Powell should have played the ball to Yanns feet so Yann could hold it and play delicious balls for Simon Church to run through on to! Would have been just as effective as him doing that to Wilson yesterday I am sure.
  • Options

Serious question, will there ever be another Yann Kermorgant?

In the 25 years I've been watching us play we've never had another one who could combine technique, flair, aerial ability and physical combativeness in the way Yann could. He's not one of a kind, but players in his mould don't pass through clubs the size of Charlton very often, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the next one.

Get Tony Watt down the gym a bit & who knows ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    different types of player, but a personal trainer for Watt this summer will be money well spent - could be the difference for us next year. Kermogant is a hero with Bournemouth fans, but hasn't played every game. We need to be able to rest strikers and can't rely on just Vetokele and Watt, even given the fact that if we get them fit they will be up there with the best in the league. Yann could play a role here - coming on from the bench when different attributes are needed - sharing the load etc...
  • Options

Kermorgant is a better forward than what we have, end of.

Sorry to sound like the b*stard offspring of Mike Ashley and Karl Oyston but I'm afraid in the real world it isn't 'end of' when the player is 32, demanding a significant pay increase, a bid is on the table and they will have no resale value.

Selling Stephens was probably a less rational sale but he wasn't a cult hero.

Conversely the potential sale of Gomez or Gudmonsson would be crazy absent a stupid bid (given their ages, scope for improvement and ongoing resale value).
  • Options
    It wasn't a rational purchase by Bournemouth by the same reckoning.
  • Options

Yes, because money was spent on strengthening other areas of the squad but not the money selling Yann generated, that was already spunked on Polish Pete and Reza, neither whom are good enough to lace Yann's boots.

We probably had two players in our squad last year who were the match for most of their peers in the division - Solly and Yann. We let Yann go and when we realized we needed someone like him we tried to replace him with Tucudean, another on who wasn't nearly good enough to even partially fill the Yann shaped hole in the squad.

We finished 12th despite selling Yann, not because we sold him. We also finished the season with the manager, sorry head coach, saying he wants to sign a physically combative no. 9. We had one, in fact we had one of the best at his level and we let him go for not a particularly significant sum of money.

To deliberately misquote you, I think it's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge he's a great guy/player and it was a flawed decision to let him go.
    Not into the man love for Yann, but I do agree with this statement. The board have not directly acknowledged their mistake selling Yann, but they have accepted generally that they made mistakes during the early months.