Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yann Kermorgant

Comments

• Options
    Out of interest, how much was Yann after in wage increases.

Also how much did we spend on his replacements. Big Pete, Reza the ledge and George.
  • Options

Yann was simply worth more to Bournemouth than he was to us - they knew they could push on this season whilst we were clearly in a rebuilding phase. As we've also just seen, he is used in a different role there whilst we used to just pump long balls in his general direction.

We freed up probably £750k in wages, earned a fee and created the room for the likes of JBG and Igor to come in, both of whom will have resale value.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge he's a great guy/player and it was ok to let him go.

At this moment in time , if the reported €3m or whatever it was spent on Igor is true there is no way at present we would make money on him he hasn't been the early season player he was in recent times
  • Options

It wasn't a rational purchase by Bournemouth by the same reckoning.

They have deeper pockets and as noted were ready to 'push on' this season.

Notwithstanding the fact that we accumulated more points over the past three seasons without Yann than with, his presence may have meant finishing say 9th rather than 12th since we are patently miles away from a promotion push in other areas.

Moreover if he was collecting up to 10% of the entire club payroll, then who knows whether we could have got Vetokele and JBG or the myriad of well paid free transfers (eg Johnson, Diarra, Eagles) that guided us to safety.
  • Options

Yann was simply worth more to Bournemouth than he was to us - they knew they could push on this season whilst we were clearly in a rebuilding phase. As we've also just seen, he is used in a different role there whilst we used to just pump long balls in his general direction.

We freed up probably £750k in wages, earned a fee and created the room for the likes of JBG and Igor to come in, both of whom will have resale value.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge he's a great guy/player and it was ok to let him go.

Except that we a) didn't replace him with Igor, we replaced him with Reza and Polish Pete and b) we ourselves have been playing it around on the deck a lot more this season so he would gave been a perfect fit for us too.

I don't think it matters which way you cut it, Yann's sale weakened the squad and the fact he has gone on to be a first choice and significant performer for this season's champions who won the league by having the most potent attack just further highlights just how much his talent was underestimated by whoever decided we could get better for less money. I think he's probably shown himself to be an even better player than even some Charlton fans thought he was.

Mistakes are made, hopefully the club has learnt its lesson and won't give up the likes of JoBerg so easily this summer, but there's no way selling Yann was a good decision in any way.

We were in the bottom three when he left
    And Bournemouth are top so what's your point?

Someone said we were weakened - last time I checked we were 12th
    Yes, because money was spent on strengthening other areas of the squad but not the money selling Yann generated, that was already spunked on Polish Pete and Reza, neither whom are good enough to lace Yann's boots.

We probably had two players in our squad last year who were the match for most of their peers in the division - Solly and Yann. We let Yann go and when we realized we needed someone like him we tried to replace him with Tucudean, another on who wasn't nearly good enough to even partially fill the Yann shaped hole in the squad.

We finished 12th despite selling Yann, not because we sold him. We also finished the season with the manager, sorry head coach, saying he wants to sign a physically combative no. 9. We had one, in fact we had one of the best at his level and we let him go for not a particularly significant sum of money.

To deliberately misquote you, I think it's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge he's a great guy/player and it was a flawed decision to let him go.
    Also spent the money on the pitch which looked in top shape yesterday.

Howe played KMG in the perfect position. He also benefited from having 2 other excellent forwards alongside him. Shows that Charlton are at least 2 strikers short for the number needed for promotion. When KMG was subbed to a very good round of applause, Bournemouth brought on Kenwyne Jones. Charlton had an unfit looking Vetekele, an half fit Watt who spent half the game falling over to win free kicks and Simon Church.
  • Options
    Too many people assume that Kermorgant was offered a duff contract .. has it ever been suggested that he was tapped up by Bournemouth and engineered a move ? .. I realise that I am possibly besmirching the reputation of a 'legend' ... so be it
  • Options

Too many people assume that Kermorgant was offered a duff contract .. has it ever been suggested that he was tapped up by Bournemouth and engineered a move ? .. I realise that I am possibly besmirching the reputation of a 'legend' ... so be it

tbh he was our best player and thought maybe a wage increase would've been fair considering the contract he was on was the same that he had signed when he came to us in league one after no one wanted him in england. Then felt probably a bit offended that we offered a lot lower and he knew he could get a better deal elsewhere and was told he could leave so fair play to him.
  • Options

tbh he was our best player and thought maybe a wage increase would've been fair considering the contract he was on was the same that he had signed when he came to us in league one after no one wanted him in england. Then felt probably a bit offended that we offered a lot lower and he knew he could get a better deal elsewhere and was told he could leave so fair play to him.
    In the long run it would have probably been considerably cheaper to pay Kermorgant, however hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The Belgians know what they are doing, don't they?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He deserves to be a premier league player after everything he's gone through as a person and for the class act he is on the pitch. Chuffed for him.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment - if Yann doesn't make the step up to the Prem, would it be a surprise if he turns up at Huddersfield?
    100% No chance Uddersfield can afford him or his wages

Except that we a) didn't replace him with Igor, we replaced him with Reza and Polish Pete and b) we ourselves have been playing it around on the deck a lot more this season so he would gave been a perfect fit for us too.

I don't think it matters which way you cut it, Yann's sale weakened the squad and the fact he has gone on to be a first choice and significant performer for this season's champions who won the league by having the most potent attack just further highlights just how much his talent was underestimated by whoever decided we could get better for less money. I think he's probably shown himself to be an even better player than even some Charlton fans thought he was.

Mistakes are made, hopefully the club has learnt its lesson and won't give up the likes of JoBerg so easily this summer, but there's no way selling Yann was a good decision in any way.

With four games in hand, etc.

There's nothing wrong with selling players if they are adequately replaced. We clearly still haven't managed to do that in this case
  • Options

He deserves to be a premier league player after everything he's gone through as a person and for the class act he is on the pitch. Chuffed for him.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment - if Yann doesn't make the step up to the Prem, would it be a surprise if he turns up at Huddersfield?

There's nothing wrong with selling players if they are adequately replaced. We clearly still haven't managed to do that in this case
    A forward playing creative central midfield player (Stephens, not a perfect player, I know) and a target centre forward (KMG) have yet to be replaced.
  • Options
    vff said:

A forward playing creative central midfield player (Stephens, not a perfect player, I know) and a target centre forward (KMG) have yet to be replaced.
    Agreed. I don't thinking can be said that the team is progressing if key weaknesses remain. Players like JBG and Vetokele are only part of the solution
  • Options
    We will not get promoted with either Vetokele or Watt as main strikers.
  • Options

The very last player to leave the pitch yesterday.

and the first to clear off when he didn't get the money he wanted.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    buckshee said:

The very last player to leave the pitch yesterday.

and the first to clear off when he didn't get the money he wanted.
    Money he deserved only for it to be spent on reza, Pete, George, Nego etc

Fair play to him.

Yann love <3
  • Options
    Funny lot our fans , I half expected to come out of the ground and see the club shop selling nothing but Bournemouth gear .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doubt if Yann would have played for us much longer even if he had stayed. Week in week out he was our target man... Lop it up to good old Yann and let him take the whack - which he did without flinching. He was nothing short of heroic and that's why we loved him. But the body can only take so much and he was starting to suffer injuries which were becoming more common place during his last season with us. With us he was getting his first header within 60 seconds (and probably that first whack within five minutes) of the game starting. With this well drilled Bournemouth outfit his first and only header came in the 56th minute. He appeared to enjoy the lay off role and we know he can adapt to front man whenever called upon. Good luck to him in the premiership.
  • Options
    where was it reported about more money?, I have only ever seen, that he was after a longer contract.
  • Options

Can't be many other players who have twice lifted the league winning trophy on the same ground but for different teams?

Giving Yann a decent ovation was about the only thing yesterday that made the trip down from Scotland worthwhile...

I said at the beginning of last season that to see Yann lift the championship trophy at the valley would be magic.
    Be careful what you wish for !
    Or make it clearer than i did.

• Options

where was it reported about more money?, I have only ever seen, that he was after a longer contract.

My recollection was that he was seeking an increase in salary and extended contract, both of which were offered but only 1 year extension and less money than Bournemouth offered, who also offered two years contract. I am sure there is a thread with this detailed but what we know, actually is rumour and the truth of the matter will never be known.
  • Options
    Found it amusing at half time when some supporters were slagging him off because "...all he's ever done is dive and wants free-kicks.....", yep, that's right, that's all Yann has ever done.....
  • Options
    If Yann were to return to the Valley as a Charlton player his legendary status would be propelled to the stratosphere IMHO.

Sadly I can't see it ever happening.
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:

Even though Roland has made many bewildering decisions, there has always been a glimpse of logic behind them.

Selling Yann, however, defied all logic (especially when considering the number of 30+ year old players we have signed since).

Agree BUT I do believe Roland has learnt from this hence Diarra, Johnson etc. if the Yann situation happened now I feel the outcome would be a lot different.