Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Play-offs....still in with a shout???

Comments

• Options
    Nah, cant see it.
    However, if we beat Forest on saturday, then, its more than likely we will rise to at least 9th !
    Forest are above us, as well as Burnley (away to Brighton) and Derby (away to Watford) - all will be overtaken should we win and they dont.
  • Options
    Just remind yourselves of our home form and you have your answer.
  • Options

Just remind yourselves of our home form and you have your answer.

Spoilsport.
  • Options
    Nope, like someone said earlier in the thread the result last night shows we aren't that far off but we mess up far too many games at home to lesser teams to go on a run. Think we are at least one midfielder or so away. Keeping Haynes healthy is just as important as well.
  • Options
    I'll be the first one to say it....10 points away. (A joke before people bite my head off)
  • Options
    Premiership here we come ...

... season after next ;-)
  • Options
    Sadly no.
  • Options
    Wouldn't even want promotion, and wherenot good enough for it so it won't happen anyway. Great result today, we now sit 12th, lovely mid-table, lets end this season being sexy and comfortable.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Dave2l said:

lets end this season being sexy and comfortable.

Those are my default settings, regardless of our league position.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Wouldn't even want promotion, and wherenot good enough for it so it won't happen anyway. Great result today, we now sit 12th, lovely mid-table, lets end this season being sexy and comfortable.

Would probably make the club safe for a good couple of seasons so I would not care if we took the money and got relegated again.

Not going to happen though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    3 more points then we hit the magic 50, we can sit back and relax.....
  • Options
    Bornmouth were walking the 1st Division a few weeks ago. But they have lost 5 in a row now outside the playoffs.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Bornmouth were walking the 1st Division a few weeks ago. But they have lost 5 in a row now outside the playoffs.

So they won't catch us now.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    We are in my opinion a mid to pushing for play off club. Not a L1 side or established premier side. The premiership was a false position for us but was brilliant whilst there and helped us build our ground.
    L1 was also false but we deserved it as we were fckin shocking to term a phrase.
    As long as the badge and the club stay in existence I'm happy to be a mid table and - pushing for play off championship club every year.
  • Options
    We are a promotion side away from home and a relegation side at home. Middling home form would have seen us in the play offs. Too late now as we haven't cracked the home form issue and we basically need to win every game. Pretty safe though - would have been different with two defeats this week but the lads have dug in. I'd like to see us crack the home form issue and maintain our away performances, would set us up nicely then for next season.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Yep i've got me 'onesie' on tonight.

• Options
    Can you imagine the battering we'd get if we went up? We'd have to spend all the TV money on cloning Chris Solly ten times
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Dave2l said:

Would probably make the club safe for a good couple of seasons so I would not care if we took the money and got relegated again.

Not going to happen though.

People always say that, but generally the increase in revenue is normally seen as an excuse to get yourself into even more debt.
  • Options
    The stars are aligning at the best possible time. CP has finally thrown caution to the wind and has played 442 in the last two away games. He has given a youngster his opportunity which he's taken with both hands and has injected life and enthusiasm into the forward line. Millwall up next with Yann to return in a 442 at home for a change. Beat Millwall and it's full steam ahead into the playoffs.
  • Options
    We are in my opinion a mid to pushing for play off club. Not a L1 side or established premium side. The premiership was a false position for us but was brilliant whilst there and helped us build our ground.
    L1 was also false but we deserved it as we were fckin shocking to term a phrase.
    As long as the badge and the club stay in existence I'm happy to be a mid table and - pushing for play off club every year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2013

The stars are aligning at the best possible time. CP has finally thrown caution to the wind and has played 442 in the last two away games. He has given a youngster his opportunity which he's taken with both hands and has injected life and enthusiasm into the forward line. Millwall up next with Yann to return in a 442 at home for a change. Beat Millwall and it's full steam ahead into the playoffs.

It is foolish not to take the chance when it comes, but we can't really say the chance is there yet. I reckon 70 points could be enough this year with the closeness of this league and teams slipping up so often.That would require 23 points. No defeats, 7 wins and 2 draws from our last 9.

Let's look at the factors against us. The big one is that despite numerous attempts to find the right formula, we have only won 4 games at the Valley this season. How is that suddenly going to change? It could improve - I expect it to - but change to winning every game -no.

Then you look at our last three games, which are representative of many of our matches this season. We could have won all three or lost all three. If you are going to go on the sort of run needed, you have to be winning a lot of games comfortably because when there isn't much in it, sometimes it goes for you and sometimes against.

Win next week, and Chrissy can use the next 8 games to prepare for next season. The board need to realise that we are close. very close, to being a promotion side and find some moderate investment that allows us to go up the few notches we need to. Of course if we collapse financially, this could be as good as it gets. It is always eventful supporting Charlton!

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Wouldnt waste my typing fingers but I woke up early and cant get back to sleep. Clubs dont go to the Prem and come back with the money, they come back with more employees, higher oprating costs, a discouraging season of getting thrashed and a number of underachieving players with a year or more of expensives contracts left to run. I'll settle for survival and hope our own youngsters come good and that our club looks a bit more attractive to potential signings after a season in the Champ. Happy days! Come on you reds!
  • Options
    They only do that if they try to stay in it! WBA did a yo-yo act for a period and then established themselves.
  • Options

Wouldnt waste my typing fingers but I woke up early and cant get back to sleep. Clubs dont go to the Prem and come back with the money, they come back with more employees, higher oprating costs, a discouraging season of getting thrashed and a number of underachieving players with a year or more of expensives contracts left to run. I'll settle for survival and hope our own youngsters come good and that our club looks a bit more attractive to potential signings after a season in the Champ. Happy days! Come on you reds!

Spot on. Just look at Wolves and Birminghan
  • Options
    I'd rather be talking about making the play-offs -however unlikely , than avoiding relegation!
  • Options
    You bet. I'm with you on that! We can develop and compete in this division and if we got relegated to L1 again I think we would be in a heap of sh*t. Looking forward to seeing whether player recruitment is healthier after our "year of consolidation".
  • Options
    Is this a joke
  • Options
    We have no chance of making the Play Offs, that's silly talk.

Let's concentrate on beating the Scum next week and then working on refining our squad for next season.

To me, once we are safe, there is no point wasting time with loanees who we won't sign let's blood some youngsters and get an idea of where they are in terms of being ready for the 1st team.

To be honest I would like to see the likes of Michael Smith given a run out to see where they are at, much prefer that to bringing in journeymen players on loan.
  • Options
    Yeh I would like to see a team with Smith Cousins Cook and Harriot in it. Not all at once, as they'd get hammered, but two on the bench two on the pitch might be worth having a go at.