Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the rudest/uninterested response ever to an email question (Hotel)?

Comments

• Options
    Bottom line is that if you piss off your customers in any business - big or small - then you won't last long , or deserve to last long.

Maybe they're chock-a-block and don't need the business, but its pretty poor customer service.
  • Options

. I think it's interesting some feel that emails should be much more 'full' when the majority of those under 30 are unable to send a text with a whole word in it and absolutely no punctuation.

Do you text a lot of children then?

• Options
    E-mails replaced letters but instead of continuing the accepted way of writing letters they seem to have gone the way of text-writing. I agree that the old way of writing letters may have been a bit 'stuffy' but I don't see why we can't at least retain correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. For those of you that think this is also stuffy I would ask you simply to re-read these e-mails. The client simply could not understand the information because it was not clearly written. This entailed further (necessary) clarification and so in the end the salesperson had to give more, not less time to the enquiry. If she had replied correctly in the first place she would eventually saved herself time. Her reply was certainly not 'adequate.'

If I were the client, I'd book elsewhere.
  • Options
    Paragraphs are your friend jimmy.
    ;o)
  • Options

. I think it's interesting some feel that emails should be much more 'full' when the majority of those under 30 are unable to send a text with a whole word in it and absolutely no punctuation.

Do you text a lot of children then?

When I said under 30 I was referring to former colleagues in their twenties. But I also swap texts with my sister's children and my wife's siblings and they are all the same. Texting seems to have a new language full of abbreviations, little grammar and no punctuation.

To those under 30 years of age that compose full novels in SMS, I'm, obviously, not referring to you, but my point still remains - the younger generation do not, automatically, make every form of written communication look like an 'O' Level English Language examination paper.
  • Options
    "If you are going to feel aggrieved by this type of communication DA9 I think you may struggle to find many business that satisfy your standards."

I don't agree, I think the expectation is spot on KHA, and I think Offy's comment is right too. If those between the age of sixteen and thirty who are ignorant of basic communication think that it is okay to treat everyone between thirty and ninety in that way, they are pissing off an awful lot of people with a great deal of diposable income...
  • Options
    Yes but if so few businesses are bothering then in the end expectations will fall - especially if we keep demanding more competitively priced goods and services.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited February 2013

This has obviously really upset you DA9 judging by your responses to some of the comments.

If you feel that strongly then I suggest that you avoid her hotel. If you really want to punish her you could stay away from the venue that has the bands if it would mean that buying drinks there puts money into her business.

Alternatively you could just email her back and cc her boss explaining that you are not going to frequent her establishment now that you have received an unacceptable communication from her.

However, it is my (and some other's on here) belief that rightly or wrongly this is the level of service that one can expect from employees of such businesses. I think it's interesting some feel that emails should be much more 'full' when the majority of those under 30 are unable to send a text with a whole word in it and absolutely no punctuation.

If you are going to feel aggrieved by this type of communication DA9 I think you may struggle to find many business that satisfy your standards. As I said earlier, at £50 a night for a room they must be making next to no money at all, they don't have the luxury of employing an MBA to run their booking line.

Just to clarify this is, in no way, a dig at you (or anyone else) DA9 I just think it's a sign of the times.

KHA, I know it's not a dig, not upset, only baffled that some accused me of being obscure in my initial email, i couldn't have been clearer or more polite, and equally I'm not offended, it hasn't ruined my week, and I have lost no sleep. I wanted others thoughts on the tone and manner, maybe I was looking for a social comment on standards, who knows, was just amazed that she believes that's a suitable response, in a way I found it funny, but equally amazed that some see no problem with it, maybe it is a generational thing?

LLLABH

• Options
    Plaaayer said:

You been drinking Dazzler?

missing the sarcasm a touch Plaaayer?
  • Options
    Do we know how old Janet is? Why are we assuming she's under 30 just because she's rude and has shit grammar?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Da9 found you very polite and clear in your e-mails. Personally i didn't find the responses rude, curt yes, rude no.
    However if you are not happy with a service then either take your custom elsewhere or make a complaint / suggestion so that they have the opportunity to improve in the future.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Da9 found you very polite and clear in your e-mails. Personally i didn't find the responses rude, curt yes, rude no.
    However if you are not happy with a service then either take your custom elsewhere or make a complaint / suggestion so that they have the opportunity to improve in the future.

I probably will stay there, it hasnt put me off, but I know the guy who promotes the nights there, will mention it to him, as it could affect others differently from me, and ultimately lead to him losing punters and therefore money.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

johnny73 said:

I probably will stay there, it hasnt put me off, but I know the guy who promotes the nights there, will mention it to him, as it could affect others differently from me, and ultimately lead to him losing punters and therefore money.
    She'll probably shrug and say "Bovvered...".

:-)
  • Options

DA9 said:

johnny73 said:

I'll get my missus to bitch slap her, in a paddling pool of jelly
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

johnny73 said:

Photos please...
  • Options

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

johnny73 said:

Photos please...
    I'll upload them to tripadvisor when we return :-)

• Options

Do we know how old Janet is? Why are we assuming she's under 30 just because she's rude and has shit grammar?

That's my fault. I didn't assume she was under 30 just made the point that moving forward we are going to get more and more of these short messages/emails as the younger generation (that will eventually take up these, and other, jobs) are more comfortable with them.

Incidentally I also find it very difficult to come to terms with the text, opposed to a call, that younger people tend to find normal. If I'm running late for something I would, as a mater of course, call to let someone know. This is not the norm these days as a test (often sent while driving) is used instead.
  • Options
    Young people don't text when driving kha - the can't afford the insurance!
  • Options
    I'm the kind of person that gets annoyed by bad grammar and criticise people for it but not in texts. Mainly because you are not writing with a pen or typing with a qwerty keyboard. In texts you use the number keypad and you generally don't write long messages. Bad grammar in texts and short emails doesn't mean you don't know how to spell or use grammar correctly.
  • Options

That's certainly not true for the people I know.
    Hey stu....

Would you say china has influenced your perception of customer service?
    They have customer service over here? I certainly hadn't noticed. I feel lucky if someone in a shop will even talk to me. Or just tell me "I don't understand you" despite my Chinese friends telling me I said it perfectly. I guess us foreigners are just too stupid to speak the language.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That's certainly not true for the people I know.
    Hey stu....

Would you say china has influenced your perception of customer service?
    They have customer service over here? I certainly hadn't noticed. I feel lucky if someone in a shop will even talk to me. Or just tell me "I don't understand you" despite my Chinese friends telling me I said it perfectly. I guess us foreigners are just too stupid to speak the language.
    Customer service is very poor here too. Not just to foreigners though.
  • Options
    Manners don't really exist either.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2013
    The response from the email from the hotel / guest house shows a lack of care and attention. It may be a small place and cheap room but that's no excuse really. If they had shown any care, that would have secured a booking. They could have done that with one or two lines.

Those rates are pretty cheap DA9 but do you really want to stay anywhere, where the owners feel that they are doing you a favour, rather than valuing your business ?

Where did you end up booking DA9 and was it cheaper ?

• Options
    Update......

The rockabilly night has now moved from this pub/hotel, apparently they had complaints from neighbours about noise (new neighbours apparently, as they have had bands there for a few years) so dont feel obliged to stay there now, any old b&b will do.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    DA9 said:

Update......

The rockabilly night has now moved from this pub/hotel, apparently they had complaints from neighbours about noise (new neighbours apparently, as they have had bands there for a few years) so dont feel obliged to stay there now, any old b&b will do.

Normally I would have the right hump with this, you move next to a hotel that has music nights, and then complain about the music nights? Why do you think you paid £X'000 less for your house than someone half a mile away, you nimby cock... That said, sounds like karma intervened in this case, so serves 'em chuffin' well right. HA!

• Options

DA9 said:

Update......

Normally I would have the right hump with this, you move next to a hotel that has music nights, and then complain about the music nights? Why do you think you paid £X'000 less for your house than someone half a mile away, you nimby cock... That said, sounds like karma intervened in this case, so serves 'em chuffin' well right. HA!

LOL, I did think that myself, karma is a bitch.

• Options
    DA9 said:

Update......

so wouldn't this one have done in the first place then if any old B&B will do.

• Options

DA9 said:

Update......

so wouldn't this one have done in the first place then if any old B&B will do.

Yes, but the point being, the pub/hotel was the venue for the bands also, so why stay down the road when you can be on the plot and within staggering distance of your room, mere convenience.

• Options
    DA9 said:

Hillsjanet Hills ***** @yahoo.co.uk

Send email
    Find email Add to contactsTo ********
    Sent: 18 February 2013 15:58:08
    To: ********

Yes and yes

Sent from my iPhone

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 18 Feb 2013, at 15:15,****** <****@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Janet,

Sorry, to clarify, a double room on a Sunday would be £50, even if its on a gay pride weekend?

Also, do any rooms have butt plug chargers?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subject: Re: Room Rates & Bands
    Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 07:29:19 +0000
    To: *******

Rooms with toilet weekdays twin or double £30 weekends £60 and £50 Sunday £30 not bank hols ..jan

Sent from my iPad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 17 Feb 2013, at 10:54, *******<*******@hotmail.com> wrote:

P.S.

Sorry, are the rooms ensuite? If not please let me have ensuite prices, as well as payment conditions, deposit or full payment when booking etc.

Thanks

To: enquiries@********.co.uk
    Subject: Room Rates & Bands
    Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 10:50:28 +0000

Hi, can you let me know your double room rate for a Sunday night, and also if you know if you have Erasure booked for either bank holiday Sundays in May please?

Thanks

• Options
    DA9 said:

Hillsjanet Hills ***** @yahoo.co.uk

Send email
    Find email Add to contactsTo ********
    Sent: 18 February 2013 15:58:08
    To: ********

Yes and yes

Sent from my iPhone

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 18 Feb 2013, at 15:15,****** <****@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Janet,

Sorry, to clarify, a double room on a Sunday would be £50, even if its on a gay pride weekend?

Also, do any rooms have butt plug chargers?

Thanks

Subject: Re: Room Rates & Bands
    Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 07:29:19 +0000
    To: *******

Rooms with toilet weekdays twin or double £30 weekends £60 and £50 Sunday £30 not bank hols ..jan

Sent from my iPad

On 17 Feb 2013, at 10:54, *******<*******@hotmail.com> wrote:

P.S.

Sorry, are the rooms ensuite? If not please let me have ensuite prices, as well as payment conditions, deposit or full payment when booking etc.

Thanks

To: enquiries@********.co.uk
    Subject: Room Rates & Bands
    Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 10:50:28 +0000

Hi, can you let me know your double room rate for a Sunday night, and also if you know if you have Erasure booked for either bank holiday Sundays in May please?

Thanks