Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Solly or Jenkinson (be honest)?

Comments

• Options
    Could possibly be the Arsenal fans bias wouldn't be the first time "Szczesny is the best goalkeeper in the world" maybe he will be in the future but at the moment I wouldn't have him in my top three English right backs. Just my opinion though and can only go on what I've seen which I admit is very little but damning.
  • Options
    imo, long term, Jenkinson will play more games in the PL than Solly. I'm more than happy to have Solly though.
  • Options
    Solly. That tackle on Zaha against Palace. He can play in the Prem. Solly for england.
  • Options
    CAFCdamo said:

Could possibly be the Arsenal fans bias wouldn't be the first time "Szczesny is the best goalkeeper in the world" maybe he will be in the future but at the moment I wouldn't have him in my top three English right backs. Just my opinion though and can only go on what I've seen which I admit is very little but damning.

So you don't think this thread shows a teensy bit of a bias to the current charlton player?

• Options
    Lets just hope its a while before he goes.
  • Options
    SuperYann said:

Solly. That tackle on Zaha against Palace. He can play in the Prem. Solly for england.

but, imo, PL clubs will give him the swerve as others, like Jenks and the kid from Barnsley that went Everton for 3m, have added height advantage and look more athletic. Not saying that is right but it is how they think.

• Options
    Solly, funny always thought Jenkinson was a bit over rated, good but not that good.
  • Options
    Solly...reason? A cog that would work in any machine.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    DRF said:

CAFCdamo said:

So you don't think this thread shows a teensy bit of a bias to the current charlton player?

Of course it does but that is to be expected from every club we see Sollys talent each week so find it hard to believe that Jenkinson could be much better , it does not make them right or wrong they are just opinions. Unfortunately that is all we have to go on as we have never seen Solly or Jenkinson play against each other. I was just expressing my opinion that Jenkinson is not yet good enough to play for England.
  • Options
    Not seen solly on the prem or European stage yet or jenkinson in the championship so unfair to compare.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The easiest way I could look at it is, if both were available to start for us on Saturday I would select Solly.

That doesn’t mean an arsenal fan posed with the same question and picked jenks would be wrong......
  • Options
    Solly all day long
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I couldn't believe it when Arsenal signed Jenkinson. Personally in the few games he'd played for us, I thought he looked solid and competent enough in our side for a youngster just breaking through, i.e. not out of place, but certainly not outstanding. It wasn't really long enough to make a proper judgement on him but being entirely honest the way Solly has been playing I wouldn't swap many for him at the moment. Maybe he would get shown up more at a higher level, but I doubt there are many Premier League right-backs who could do a better job than he does at our level. I'd probably take Glen Johnson but even that's just because he's so good going forward, I reckon you could make a decent argument that Solly's better at defending than him.
  • Options
    must be Solly, Jenkinson is too tall
  • Options
    Both. Stick Jenkinson right midfield. Some of his crosses are incredible.
  • Options
    Jenkinson is absolute quality but move on as we have Solly & Wilson down the right...
  • Options
    Didn't get to see Jenkinson at this level, and very little at a lower level, to know if he's any better than the awful RB he appears to be at Arsenal.
  • Options
    Solly
  • Options
    gooner at work says jenkinson is class and adds loads to the team and they love him, cant see it myself but im glad solly keeps under the radar of big clubs as he is without doubt my most fav player for many many a year, small lad massive heart= legend..
  • Options
    Solly by a mile
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jenkinson is pretty average and will end up at a lower prem/championship side, the reasons a 'big club' took a punt on him and not Solly is probably because he's taller and quicker.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Jenkinson came into the side as an inexperienced youngster and did a very good job playing on the wrong side (for him). He has physical presence and reasonable pace and has done an adequate job in the prem and european matches. Undoubtedly a talented player.

Solly did not make the same initial impact and was fortunate to have the support and energy of Wagstaff. However he worked on his strength and pace and developed into arguably the best right back in league 1. In the Championship he has continued where he left off. His attitude is spot on too.

As fans it is natural for us to say Solly as we've seen more of him and grown to love him.

However I'm going to cop out of a direct answer my justification being that we don't (yet) know whether Solly's lack of stature would be exposed at the very highest level.

However,for the level we are at, I am more than happy with Solly.
  • Options
    Solly
  • Options
    Got to be Solly. He just seems to get better and better.
  • Options
    Does Jenkinson not play left back ?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

He's a right back isn't he? Never seen him play anywhere else.
  • Options
    Solly, all day and every day. The boy is so good I really could see him fitting into the first teams of clubs at the top of the Prem.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

shine166 said:

He is a right back but played left back for us.

I don't actually remember him playing a first team game for us at right back but stand to be corrected!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

shine166 said:

my bad, shows how little footie I watch these days
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Jenkinson played at RB - not often and was shifted to LB when Solly returned. He then lost his place when he declined a new contract.

As to who I'd prefer - Solly as I've seen more of him, but Jenkinson would not let us down if he played there.