Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Solly or Jenkinson (be honest)?

Comments

• Options
    He has played at right back for us - certainly at the infamous Dag & Red away game and maybe Exeter at home?
  • Options
    Said Solly at the time and still stick with that
  • Options
    Jenkinson all day for me, Solly could never, ever finish like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQAeGbjU3bY
  • Options
    After 6 games for us most people on here were saying 'not good enough, get rid' about Solly. Jenks only played that many for us. Both are class players and rather than choosing I wish we had had the resources to keep both, great competition and I am sure we could have accommoated both in our first team together somehow.
  • Options
    So overwhelmingly Solly takes the vote. I'm not surprised really. Someone said Jenkinson's quite quick but he gets done for pace by nearly every winger he comes up against. Even when you get past Solly you've never really shaken him off, such is his tenacity.
  • Options
    Jenkinson for the first 3/4 months has been very impressive for the Arsenal this season,though since Sagna has been back fit as not had a look in, bar his mare at the Stadium of Light.

Solly has been a consistent 7/10 in most of the games in the Championship this season, even when moved to Left Back. One of the top 3 full backs in the Championship, and would not look out of a place in a mid table Premier League side.

Solly for me.
  • Options
    Solly all day long.

How on earth Jenkinson got that move is totally beyond me, he is Championship at best and looks out of his depth in the Premier League.

Defending is average and his lack of pace makes him ineffective in attack - to me he is the 'Ralph Milne' of the 21st century.
  • Options
    Solly is quicker, his positional play is better and his support play/overlapping runs more effective.
  • Options
    Objectively Jenkinson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solly for me,but is he tall enough for highest level?
  • Options

Solly for me,but is he tall enough for highest level?

How tall are Ashley Cole, Leighton Baines, Rafael?

Kenny Samson was short but superb full back.
  • Options
    Jenks at the moment. Solly may well be the best fullback in the Championship, but Jenks is doing OK in an upper midtable premiership side and has earned an international call up. If he'd played at Charlton a bit longer and not in a disfunctional shitheap of a team, everyone on this thread would be saying Jenkinson.
  • Options
    Jenkinson may be class. But Solly is Class 1. No question. Solly has proven his worth to us over and over and over again. Jenkinson may one day be the player Solly is, but that time is not now.
  • Options
    We really have got our work cut out keeping him - If the board can find the way to keep him for another season, it will be a real sign of intent. Solly has developed his game to the point where he has stand out qualities - he is very good going forwards and even when he is playing a tricky opponent and seemingly on the edge, he finds a way to win the battle. He comes away with the ball when he seems to have lost a challenge - I sometimes think - how has he done that? it's like he is a magician. If he played in the Premiership, he'd do a great job and would soon get in the England side.
  • Options
    Solly always has stand out qualities. Saw him in a couple of youth cup games and later the odd friendly and he stood out from the start. He always did read the game very well and was very determined, it was obvious he had enough to his game to make up for his size.

Also saw Jenkinson a few times and he looked promising but I didn't expect him to be involved so early on as Solly was ahead of him. Different type of player, intelligent but not at the same level as Solly, made up for that with his size and that bit more pace. Also one of those players that was naturally comfortable carrying the ball out of defence, even at centre back.

Had Jenkinson stayed he may well have started as first choice and no doubt would have really impressed in last seasons team.

Solly has stepped up as I expected but what's been great to see this season is the improvement in his attacking play.

Solly could play at a higher level and Jenkinson would have impressed in this team.
  • Options
    Solly wins in every aspect. If we kept Jenkinson and it was Chris that went the other way, i truly believe would of seen Solly in an England shirt. Only reason that he hasn't is due to not being a premier league player currently.
  • Options
    Get your mate the DVD of Sheff Weds away last season.
    He won't mention Jenkinson again.
  • Options
    Common sense tells me Jenkinson
  • Options
    Solly; I can't imagine anyone (including Jenkinson) performing with the level of skill, competency, reliability, passion and commitment to our cause than Super Chris. For me, he's irreplaceable now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't say we've really missed Jenkinson. I think we would miss Solly BIG if he left!
  • Options
    In my opinion after seeing Jenkinson this season, although only on tv. Solly is far more aware of the attacking threats around him and realises that he is a defender first. Having said that he is very adept at overlapping and often catches opposing defences by cutting inside at speed. Super Sol has in my opinion a very good first touch and very rarely wastes a ball.

Solly for me by a country mile.
  • Options
    Sorry but I still say Jenks. I love Solly in our team but when I saw Jenks play for us he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. He has international call ups and even if he is struggling at Arsenal thats still better than being excellent in a bottom half Championship team for me.
    Solly has a lot of ability but until he is pitched against top level competition I think it is hard to rate him higher.

But at the end of the day it is impossible to compare them as they play in different leagues and one we see in person every week and one we see on TV occasionally.
  • Options
    They were in the same squad around the time we were beaten by Dagenham & Redbridge, albeit ages ago. Since then one has improved beyond all recognition and has the stamp of a Premiership player, puts in a full 100% shift every game, and is a fans' favourite.

The other is in the Arsenal reserves.
  • Options
    Do people remember a player for villa a full back of similar size and stature

I think his name was alan wright (might be wrong )

But for me he was one of the most consistant and dependable players in the prem deserved more recognition

SOLLY is imo a better version of him and will go on to play at the top level

Jenkinson is more your steve harkness
  • Options
    Solly - Nuff said.
  • Options
    Wiyhout doubt Solly, a very naturally gifted full back. Nothing wrong with his height for a full back. Currently three of the best full backs in the world are all 1 inch shorter, Philipp Lahm. Danny Alves, Jordi Alba. Man U's Evra and Da Silva, Evertons Baines are the same size as Chris. Indeed one of only two english full backs to have a world cup winners medal was the same height, the great Ray Wilson. So height wise he is in very good company. Ability is the main thing and I do not believe Jenkinson is anywhere near Solly on that score. There is only about 1 years difference in their ages so its unlikely that Carl will improve more than Chris. I am also not so sure that Carl is any better than the full back Arsenal let go, Ceddy. I firmly believe the 'little' maestro can go all the way and play for England.
  • Options
    I had to re read your post bossey i thought you meant ceddy could play for england at first glance

• Options
    solleeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy!!!!!
  • Options
    You never know NLA if a Finnish player can play for England then maybe a Cameroonian / Frenchman can as well. BTW it was Alan Wright that played over 250 games for Villa and was a mighty 5 feet 4inches tall.