Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Parker

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013

PeterGage said:

I can never understand the bitterness of some supporters when a very good player, such as Scott Parker, moves on to a better team, where he can show off his talent. Scott served his time with us and although I was very sad to see him move on, he went with my best wishes. I would like to see him (and Darren Bent) back with us at some stage.

He would have gone with all our best wishes, if he hadn't been tapped up by Chelsea & stormed out the dressing room to see Murray, demanding a move, despite still having quite some time on his contract.

He then refused to play for us ! He didn't end up leaving with my best wishes, greedy bastard.

I still think the answer to it all would have been to say "fine, play with the ressies " and see out the transfer window (I think it only had a week or so to go) then come Feb I'm sure Scotty would have preferred to paly in the 1st team, in the Prem, than with the kids or reserves. It called holding your nerve (something Liverpool have done with Suarez) as once the window is shut there is little else the player can do. I don't believe many professional footballers of that standing would want to sit out half a season without playing regular first team football.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I tend to agree, but Chelsea weren't going to wait & come back in the summer, which is why Parker was so desperate to go.

I think Murray felt that it was a very good fee, that we wouldn't get in the summer & if Parker wasn't going to give his best, then we would reluctantly let him go.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I always felt that he arrived at Chelsea just as Lampard stopped eating pies and turned into the sort of box to box player that Parker was, albeit not as good defensively. Newcastle seemed to use him front of the back four a lot, when he got to West Ham we saw the old Parker- although like one comment above, I never felt by then that he had the zip that he did at Charlton . However, like John Boy says above, his legs are going now, he looked like a tortoise at times last year. I don't really harbour any resentment about him going, it was the food chain in action.... at the time Chelsea seemed to make a point of going round London clubs relieving them of their assets just to let them know that they could.
  • Options

I tend to agree, but Chelsea weren't going to wait & come back in the summer, which is why Parker was so desperate to go.

I think Murray felt that it was a very good fee, that we wouldn't get in the summer & if Parker wasn't going to give his best, then we would reluctantly let him go.

Veira left arsenal that summer and I think keane retired then as well, would've been a bidding war between arse and man utd if we would've kept our form up and finished in Europe/champs league.
  • Options
    Good Luck to him. As much as i was angry with him for leaving I still like to see him do well.
  • Options
    Three year deal on Prem wages is very good for a 32 year old
  • Options
    Good luck, will have to keep an eye on Fulham now with him and Bent as they are 2 of my fave players
  • Options
    Just hope Parker kicks some lumps out of Ars*nal on Saturday. Could do with them being down to the bare bones for the NLD the following Sunday.
  • Options
    Fulham : where once good players go to retire.
  • Options
    Know its the resurrection of a very old thread but didnt want to create a brand new one.

As mentioned in the below article its good to see Scott is trying to go into coaching rather than taking the punditry role and would love to see him at Sparrows Lane in a coaching capacity, he probably doesnt regret leaving for Chelsea that much but at the same time, reckon he'd be a good person to have around to advise our youngsters of the perils of moving on too soon.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/21/scott-parker-management-st-georges-park-coaching-fulham

Seems as well we've maybe seen him play at the Valley for the last time, and although it was in Fulham colours, despite everything that has happened between Charlton and him... He still seemed to own that midfield against Cousins etc.

One other note though in regards to the Pro License: This week’s sessions dealt largely with how to avoid blinking in the media glare seriously is this what our coaches are being taught here, how to look good in a picture?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

its good to see Scott is trying to go into coaching rather than taking the punditry role and would love to see him at Sparrows Lane in a coaching capacity, he probably doesnt regret leaving for Chelsea that much but at the same time, reckon he'd be a good person to have around to advise our youngsters of the perils of moving on too soon.

Thanks for sharing the article. Yes I too would really love to see him work as a coach or even a manager at Charlton (would he want to though seeing as a decade on there're still a few people who call him a greedy b*****d? :wink: )
    I remember when he was still at Spurs I read somewhere (maybe also on Guardian's website) that he had always wanted to become a manager after hanging up his boots. Although I haven't particularly followed his career after he left for Chelsea, I seem to recall that every Scott Parker article or interview I've come across over the years is about him being a great player and a great person. When I saw the Kevin Nolan player-manager news yesterday, I actually thought about Scott Parker. Nolan's made a huge leap. I look forward to Scott Parker doing the same soon. I know he could've or should've stayed till the end of the 2003/04 season but I'm not going to discuss this particular issue (it's been done to death). He is and will always be one of my favourite Charlton players. It's also good to see that he and Curbs remain in close contact.

(Not sure if it's the glasses but he reminds me of Ethan Hunt/Tom Cruise in that photo....)
  • Options
    I can quite imagine Parker as a coach or manager, he always seemed the studious type who would think about the game
  • Options
    "he'd be a good person to have around to advise our youngsters of the perils of moving on too soon."

Not sure he would. Surely he'd just say: 'Take the money.'
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

"he'd be a good person to have around to advise our youngsters of the perils of moving on too soon."

I can imagine all the youngsters looking at him driving out of Sparrows Lane in one of his super cars and all the youth say to each other 'He left too early'.
  • Options
    He's still a greedy little prick.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

You get paid £10K per week and somebody comes along and offers you £50K per week. I know what would I do but then I'm a greedy prick.
  • Options

Veira left arsenal that summer and I think keane retired then as well, would've been a bidding war between arse and man utd if we would've kept our form up and finished in Europe/champs league.
    I always felt Scotty was tailor made for Arsenal and the sort of player they missed when Viera and Petit left.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

its good to see Scott is trying to go into coaching rather than taking the punditry role and would love to see him at Sparrows Lane in a coaching capacity, he probably doesnt regret leaving for Chelsea that much but at the same time, reckon he'd be a good person to have around to advise our youngsters of the perils of moving on too soon.

Thanks for sharing the article. Yes I too would really love to see him work as a coach or even a manager at Charlton (would he want to though seeing as a decade on there're still a few people who call him a greedy b*****d? :wink: )
    I remember when he was still at Spurs I read somewhere (maybe also on Guardian's website) that he had always wanted to become a manager after hanging up his boots. Although I haven't particularly followed his career after he left for Chelsea, I seem to recall that every Scott Parker article or interview I've come across over the years is about him being a great player and a great person. When I saw the Kevin Nolan player-manager news yesterday, I actually thought about Scott Parker. Nolan's made a huge leap. I look forward to Scott Parker doing the same soon. I know he could've or should've stayed till the end of the 2003/04 season but I'm not going to discuss this particular issue (it's been done to death). He is and will always be one of my favourite Charlton players. It's also good to see that he and Curbs remain in close contact.

(Not sure if it's the glasses but he reminds me of Ethan Hunt/Tom Cruise in that photo....)
    It hasn't been done to death. You have unwittingly restarted the debate -)0
  • Options

Jayajosh said:

Vincenzo said:

You get paid £10K per week and somebody comes along and offers you £50K per week. I know what would I do but then I'm a greedy prick.
    I think it was more to do with Charlton wanting to keep him until the end of the season and him throwing his toys and pretty much ending our hopes of european football.

At the end of the day he would of got his move in the summer if he had just stayed a few months and enormously helped out the club that had made this dream move to Chelsea possible. He was already the highest earner at the club having signed a deal if i remember rightly and we weren't no mugs, we were respected, successful, established Premier League club, he was hardly slummimg it.

However he didn't have a shred of loyalty to the club. Not a shred.
    He did, he loved Charlton, still does but was under a lot of outside pressure, he was ill advised basically, he was by no means innocent in it all but definitely not black and white, I'd known him personally since I was about 12 and watched him grow into the player he became I called his family when I watch him score his 1st first team goal and when he broke through I was over the moon for him. So no one was more hurt than me when he left, I never spoke to him for about a year, I saw him in bluewater and gave him the cold shoulder. But he really isn't a bad bloke is a good dad, brother, son etc just a normal guy that let pressures and yes a bit of greed make him make a big career mistake.

Yeah fair enough. I never boo him as I can't be arsed but he acted disgracefully ( if you ask RM and that has lost some credit recently) so I don't want him near this club again.

• Options
    I was angry when he left but have a lot of time for Scott Parker. A true player, never shirked a tackle and (with Rufus) the best I have seen come through our ranks by a margin.

Trouble is, as rich as he now is I will always be convinced that had he stayed with us to the end of that season,

a) we would have had a European adventure to enjoy and parted company amicably and
    b) he would have gone on to have a stellar career, winning trophies and being genuinely successful at the very highest level instead of knocking around at Newcastle, Spurs, West Ham and Chelsea reserves. Would have been a perfect for for a post Viera Arsenal or post Keane Man United.
  • Options
    Alan is now with me at Fulham so our relationship has come full circle,” he says of Curbishley, a member of the backroom staff. “It has gone from that father figure who was nurturing me along as a young boy at Charlton, to him being a bit of a mentor. I never used to ask him questions because I was scared of him, but now I’m badgering him with: ‘What do you think about this? How would you deal with that?’ I’ve learned a lot from them all, picked up some things I’ve liked and other things I’ve not, but it’ll hopefully put me in good stead when I give it a go myself.

There you go roly you Wally. Wanna play the percentages? Get them two and Riga can stay if he wants as well. Get shot of those Belgian stattos currently signing dross off the Internet.

We can all win or at least gloriously fail in harmony.

Parker first team coach to curbs director of football. instant happy customer base.

Total pipedream but that article paints a lovely possibility. Nice to see the two now get on very well, shame it's at Fulham not down VFR.
  • Options
    He left because a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
    It's all well and good saying that an offer , just as good , would be there at the end of the season in hindsight but he wouldn't have been certain of that so clearly didn't want to take the chance
    Of course I hated the way the whole move worked out for us but understand his reasons
  • Options
    Yepp, could have stayed, done his cruciate ligament next game and miss out on a £5m contract (guessing) at Chelsea. Never fully recover and retire bobbing a job on TV in ten years time.
    Yes, would have loved him tomsee out that season but shit happens, has happened since and will happen again .
    Great servant whilst here and loved watching him play for any team.
    Never let any team down on the pitch
  • Options
    Still a greedy cunt though.
  • Options

He left because a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
    It's all well and good saying that an offer , just as good , would be there at the end of the season in hindsight but he wouldn't have been certain of that so clearly didn't want to take the chance
    Of course I hated the way the whole move worked out for us but understand his reasons

The trouble is mate, even knowing that he was entitled to do what he perceived to be the best for him and his family doesn't make it any easier for me to accept even after all these years.
    As a Charlton fan I am entitled to be disappointed; and I know it probably says more about me than him, but I still feel the grievance even now, for 2 reasons.
    1. We had been in the top 4 for several weeks, with him as the heartbeat of the best Charlton side in my lifetime. We had a real chance of finishing in a Champions league place, and I knew even then it would never happen again in my lifetime.
    2. Chelsea' s motivation was totally cynical in intent and action. I don't doubt they knew they were getting a top player, but how much were they motivated to hole a Champions league competitor below the water line?
    Did they actually really need Parker?
    They went on to do the same thing many times over, SWP, Sidwell etc etc.
    I ought to have grown up enough to not hold Parker a grudge, but I find it difficult to be all jolly jolly, bygones be bygones about it.
  • Options
    I don't bear him any malice any more. As others have said, I'd have probably done the same if I was in his position. That said, I'm still certain in my mind that we'd have played European football if he'd stayed for just a few more months. And then who knows what, perhaps the additional money / excitement may have been enough to stave off relegation a couple of years on and then several years down the line, no Duchatelet problem. Scott Parker has a lot to answer for, he should make amends by buying out Two Shats ;-)
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I don't blame Parker going for the money.

But I do blame him for the way he went about it.

He had a contract with us and refused to play. I'll never forgive him for that and in the same position, I don't believe I would have refused to play for my club.