Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Films that let you down (Not Sequels)

Comments

• Options
    Don't know if it counts as a sequel, but I'd go for Skyfall.

I am a big fan of the Bond films and supposedly this was the best Bond film ever. I just thought it was a way of killing off Judi Dench's M, lining up her replacement, giving us a new Q and a new Moneypenny, so that they could start again.
  • Options
    Farmyard Frolics - thought it was a spin off from Peppa Pig. The nephew asked some pretty tough questions after that
  • Options

I am a big fan of the Bond films and supposedly this was the best Bond film ever. I just thought it was a way of killing off Judi Dench's M, lining up her replacement, giving us a new Q and a new Moneypenny, so that they could start again.

While I totally agree with you, and have a real issue with the fact that Bond achieves absolutely nothing in the entire movie (so what did happen to the hard drive?) You might want to put a spoiler warning on that...
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

The Cannonball Run 2

Really? I love that film! If anything, I prefer it to the first one.

Back on topic, pretty much anything with Steve Martin in it.

• Options
    I watched 'One Flew over the Coo coos Nest' recently. I know it won awards, and the acting was good, etc. but I found it rather dull and kept waiting for something to happen right up to the end.

I always make a effort to watch films that have been critically acclaimed but this one was not for me.

In fact, you could add 'Dances with Wolves' to that list. I have nothing against Kevn Costner and I have liked some of his other films, but this one seemed to go on for ever and I found it dull.

Also I feel I should mention that I watched all three of the Lord of the Rings films and I found them (especially the first one) to go on for ever without getting going. In fairness to these films I did watch them while having a few beers so I accept that there night be some loss of concentration due to the films being complex and be getting more and more drunk as they went on, but even though I've kept the DVDs I have never been able to justify sitting down to watch them again.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

shirty5 said:

The Cannonball Run 2

Really? I love that film! If anything, I prefer it to the first one.

Back on topic, pretty much anything with Steve Martin in it.

Ridiculous... The Jerk, Lonely Guy, All of me, Man with two brains, Dead men don't wear plaid, err...okay... all went a bit downhill after that, with a couple of notable exceptions. :-)
  • Options

Also I feel I should mention that I watched all three of the Lord of the Rings films and I found them (especially the first one) to go on for ever without getting going. In fairness to these films I did watch them while having a few beers so I accept that there night be some loss of concentration due to the films being complex and be getting more and more drunk as they went on, but even though I've kept the DVDs I have never been able to justify sitting down to watch them again.

I was off sick for 3 weeks last year and watched all 3 special extended versions. Loved them!

• Options

I watched 'One Flew over the Coo coos Nest' recently. I know it won awards, and the acting was good, etc. but I found it rather dull and kept waiting for something to happen right up to the end.

Nothing happens?? Are you sure you were watching the right film? One of my favourite films and the book is excellent too.
  • Options
    Avater
  • Options
    Kick Ass. It was supposed to be the tonic to all the superhero films that were being forced down our throats but in the end it just became that same as all of them. As a film on its own it was ok but the way it was marketed made me expect so much more than the derivative meh that we got
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There will be blood.

Some great performances but would have been better if something actually happened.

This. So many people said it was similar to/as good as No Country For Old Men. Thought it was awful
  • Options

There will be blood.

Some great performances but would have been better if something actually happened.

This. Day Lewis is mesmerising but the story is as dull as they come. Found Lincoln to be of a similar nature, albeit Tommy Lee Jones' performance is also excellent.
    thenewbie said:

Prometheus. I enjoyed all four of the Alien films (to differing degrees admittedly) and Ridley Scott returns as director... but it was seriously pants. Not half as clever as it thought it was, apart from some good special effects and Michael Fassbender, it had absolutely nothing going for it.

Agreed about Promethius, but I would also add that Charlize Theron's character is totally unnecessary.

• Options

Nothing happens?? Are you sure you were watching the right film? One of my favourite films and the book is excellent too.
    Pretty sure. A petty criminal blags his way into a mental institution where he stirs up trouble and pisses off enough people that they cut his brain out.

Did I miss much out?
  • Options
    The girl with the dragon tattoo,
    - expected better it came across as a tacky sunday afternoon murder mystery
  • Options
    Enemy At The Gates- Could have been one of the finest films about ww2 made (going on the first half an hour) but the following 2 hours or so were an awful let down.
  • Options

Pretty sure. A petty criminal blags his way into a mental institution where he stirs up trouble and pisses off enough people that they cut his brain out.

Did I miss much out?
    Ok,do a similar précis for a film you rate and let's see how that looks.
  • Options
    Elevator
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Elevator

Yeah I found that film to be a bit up and down, good on some levels but had its flaws.
  • Options

Blair Witch.

Abysmal to a degree that doesnt really exist...100 minutes of my life I can never get back.

I think Blair Witch is quality.

I thought Paul was cack!
  • Options
    I have just watched Django Unchained. It couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be 'Blazing Saddles', a spaghetti western or make a serious comment on racism befor the American Civial War. In the end it failed on all three counts.
    Jamie Foxx showed that he can't act. Only Clint Eatwood can do Clint Eastwood.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    siblers said:

Enemy At The Gates- Could have been one of the finest films about ww2 made (going on the first half an hour) but the following 2 hours or so were an awful let down.

Hadn't thought of that one. Not the worst, but you sum it up well siblers. Films are never as good as the book we know, but this one was miles away...

• Options
    Ghostbusters. I was eleven and expecting something special. I fell asleep.
  • Options

Yeah, cheers for that, won't bother to get that off the Sky Store now I know what happens....
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Yeah, cheers for that, won't bother to get that off the Sky Store now I know what happens....
    you really watch bond films to find out what happens in the end.........

• Options
    Haha! Yeah, I want yo know if he beats the bad guy and gets the girl!!
  • Options
    Your a Scooby Doo fan, I can tell :)
  • Options
    I watched The Godfather last night, and was quite disappointed.

To be fair to it though, I imagine it looked much better at the time; pretty much every plot point was familiar to me, even just from watching The Simpsons!
    I was expecting this powerhouse of a film that would really move me, and instead I got 3 hours of constant murdering. I just didn't care by the end.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Blair Witch.

Abysmal to a degree that doesnt really exist...100 minutes of my life I can never get back.

I think Blair Witch is quality.
    100% agree. Scared the living shit out of me, when I saw it first time. Sweaty palms and a sense of relief, when it finished.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Your a Scooby Doo fan, I can tell :)

I never suspected the fairground owner.
  • Options
    When the North Wind Blows - a story about tigers that was so boring I can't remember anything about it other than being stupefyingly bored. I'd looked forward to it all week as a kid; that's when I first learned what a let down life can be.