Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul John Hodgson RIP

I grew up with Paul on St Paul's Cray and we have been mates since 1959. He loved his football, and especially his beloved Charlton. I have many memories of Paul from the late 60's travelling the country and watching the Addicks get beat almost every game. Paul was nicknamed Bomber Hodgson because he was so strong. We were once surrounded by Norwich supporters who demanded he hand over his scarf. He refused and eventually it took about a dozen of them to prise it from him. Paul developed liver and heart problems in his 30's but always stayed cheerful even though he has been in and out of hospital for over 20 years. Before Christmas Paul was told he had 12 weeks to live. His house has been packed ever since because he was loved by so many. I saw him Sunday lunchtime and he was too tired to get out of bed. He said if he could sleep he might be able to watch the Cup Final. He nodded off but didn't wake up for the match. I went to see him this morning and he had been asleep for 48 hours. As I left I noticed his season ticket renewal letter by his bed. He won't need it, he passed away at 4ocklock this afternoon. RIP mate, I won't forget you.

Comments