Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Youth Team when I was growing up

Comments

• Options
    The first youth team I saw had David Campbell,his brother, Tony Booth and Willie O'Sullivan in it in the late 70's

A couple of years later came the team that produced Paul Walsh,Paul Elliott,Kevin Smith,Kevin Dickenson and Paul Curtis.

One player I remember being impressed with from that era was Henry Laville I have no idea of what happened to him.
  • Options
    HandG said:

Rossi Franco worked in his family's ice cream van business after not making it with us. I remember recognising him in the Polo Bar back in the day and he was chuffed to bits.

Being there at the time, i'd say he looked more concerned as to who this random stranger grinning at him was, than chuffed to bits.

• Options
    Always wondered what happened to vinny as I played alongside him for Kent and north Kent. Great thread.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Charlton to Purfleet in just 4 years is some downturn in a career
  • Options

HandG said:

Rossi Franco worked in his family's ice cream van business after not making it with us. I remember recognising him in the Polo Bar back in the day and he was chuffed to bits.

Being there at the time, i'd say he looked more concerned as to who this random stranger grinning at him was, than chuffed to bits.

My memory isn't what it was but 'chuffed to bits' is how I prefer to remember it.
  • Options
    Steve barbe! Made his debut in a reserve or pre season match but we were so keen to conceal his identity, we made up a false name. Think he may have even made the bench for the first team.
  • Options
    Randy Samuel made a separate thread recently.
  • Options
    Didn't Richmond Donker get sacked for theft????
  • Options
    I remember hoping Kevin Nicholls would replace Bowyer. Went onto have a decent career at Luton and Leeds.
  • Options
    Paul Sturgess was in the year above me at Swanley Standard and so we played a few times together. He left Millwall and ended up in places like Hereford and Gravesend & Northfleet. He also married my first ever girlfriend, had two kids with her and they divorced about five years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    supaclive said:

Paul Sturgess was in the year above me at Swanley Standard and so we played a few times together. He left Millwall and ended up in places like Hereford and Gravesend & Northfleet. He also married my first ever girlfriend, had two kids with her and they divorced about five years ago.

Was her brother called Scott , supaclive ?

• Options
    On a road in Eltham I passed two rubbish collection vans. The company name on the side of each van was 'Dean Chandler Waste Removal' or something similar. Had Charlton stickers on the windscreen.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Steve Thurlow must of been in the youth team and reserves until he was in his mid 30s - his name seemed to there for years.

I used to watch The Vinh Nguyen in the same Eltham Palace? team as my mates brother. The age of the team was about 12/13 years old; Vinh looked about 18/19 and twice the size as the rest of them! Used to score shedloads of goals but there was always a debate about his correct age.
  • Options
    Ronnie Mauge makes an appearance in today's Guardian Fiver......

“In the summer of 1996, Plymouth Argyle won promotion to the heady heights of the then Second Divison (now League One) through the play-offs in their first ever trip to Wembley. The score was 1-0, courtesy of a Ronnie Mauge header. One night that summer, myself and a couple of my mates saw Ronnie and a friend of his in KFC in Plymouth at about 2am one Sunday. Recognising him, my friend shouted to the packed establishment: ‘Do you know who this is? It’s Ronnie Mauge! He got us promoted! Get out of the way and let him get his chicken.’ He parted the crowd and moved Ronnie and his friend to the front of the queue. As he followed Ronnie through the shop, my mate asked Ronnie who his friend was and the friend replied: ‘I’m Frank Sinclair.’ My mate’s immediate response was: ‘Eff off, where are your dreadlocks.’ I had to explain to him he that it was Trevor Sinclair he was thinking of, but he didn’t really care. Ronnie and Frank seemed to think it was pretty funny, though” – Kit Hunswick.
  • Options
    Remember the Campbell brothers, David and Neil (I think) from the Roan School. Opened the batting with David a few times for the school cricket team. He was a lot better than I was.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Good thread. Remember all those names. What happened to Dean Chandler?

Big lad who was no weed.

but made the mistake of listening to Lee bowyer.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Surman - One first team match and sadly died in his thirties

Elliott - ? Ray Elliott

Keeley - Think he went to Exeter or somewhere like that

Myers - Went to Yeovil

Baber - Non - league a few years at Margate amongst others

Bingham - ?

Fagan - As Baber

Campbell - Alan Campbell established Charlton first teamer who was eventually transfered to Birmingham when we were relegated to division 3 in 1972.

Bonds - Billy Bonds played a couple of seasons in our first team before joining West Ham. A contender for best outfield player never to have been capped by England.

Scullion - Not sure if he ever made our first team but had a decent career at Watford amongst others

Stenson - Played a few first team games and moved on to Mansfield

Gilchrist - Played for Southampton in the 1976 cup final when they beat Man Utd

Halom - Played for Sunderland in the 1973 cup final when they beat Leeds

Some youth players I can recall from 1963 through to c 1967 or so and what happened to them.

I'm at work and this is off the top of my head so there might be errors so don't hang me if there are!

EDIT: Two more just come to mind: Ralph Miller - played a few first team games for us and ended up at Gillingham then Bournemouth (or the other way round). Roy Miller (no relation) no idea where he went

FURTHER EDIT The players of the era I have named were known as the Colts and played their matches in the SE Counties League.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

The first youth team I saw had David Campbell,his brother, Tony Booth and Willie O'Sullivan in it in the late 70's

A couple of years later came the team that produced Paul Walsh,Paul Elliott,Kevin Smith,Kevin Dickenson and Paul Curtis.

One player I remember being impressed with from that era was Henry Laville I have no idea of what happened to him.

Played football against Tony Booth after his pro days but, as a youth, I played cricket against David Campbell who I understand as more than enough money to buy Roland out.

Campbell was actually captain of both football and cricket county teams but he gave up professional sport, got himself a degree and made more than a few millions working in the City:

citywire.co.uk/money/tilney-bosses-bag-25m-from-sale/a284926
  • Options

Richard J said:

Played football against Tony Booth after his pro days but, as a youth, I played cricket against David Campbell who I understand as more than enough money to buy Roland out.

Campbell was actually captain of both football and cricket county teams but he gave up professional sport, got himself a degree and made more than a few millions working in the City:

citywire.co.uk/money/tilney-bosses-bag-25m-from-sale/a284926
    David Campbell used to drink in the sports club where I played rugby and cricket as some of his good mates played for us. He was (is) a nice bloke.
  • Options
    And of course, the legendary Johnny Harrison, Len. I think we covered him somewhere else on the forum
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

And of course, the legendary Johnny Harrison, Len. I think we covered him somewhere else on the forum

He really was only 5' 3!"

Actually he could have been even smaller
  • Options

Nat Amato is still working in his dads barbers shop on the green opposite Yorkshire grey I think.

Kept wicket for Bromley Common CC for many years.

• Options

supaclive said:

Was her brother called Scott , supaclive ?

Yes! Spooky just saw this question @Fanny Fanackapan
  • Options

there was a midfielder think he was called danny waldern or owt simular was being hyped but never made it 92 93ish i think.

Think he played for Bromley last year
  • Options

On a road in Eltham I passed two rubbish collection vans. The company name on the side of each van was 'Dean Chandler Waste Removal' or something similar. Had Charlton stickers on the windscreen.

It was Dean Chandler - Rubbish Clearance as I remember.
  • Options
    Hopefully he wasn't a defender
  • Options
    Oh he was! Surely intentional then :)
  • Options
    Anyone else remember Alan Ellis. Looked a class player, if lightweight, but disappeared after a few games. What happened to him?
  • Options

Anyone else remember Alan Ellis. Looked a class player, if lightweight, but disappeared after a few games. What happened to him?

Started just nine games (plus 6 subs) in 70-71 but then seems, from a footballing perspective anyway, to have disappeared.

Last reported seen as a lorry driver for White Peak Distribution in Derbyshire.