Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Zealand v England, Test Series, 2013.

Comments

• Options
    Should have been 7.
  • Options
    Is seven!!
  • Options
    and 6 for Broad. ! He's shit he is that Broad.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well that happened quickly.

New Zealand 68 all out. England win by 170 runs.

Broad 7-44, Anderson 2-23
  • Options
    Have to get cricket above the American sports thread.
  • Options
    I was there today, the most amazing days cricket I have ever attended.
  • Options
    PeteF said:

I was there today, the most amazing days cricket I have ever attended.

Pete, Were you commentating? Did you meet up with your mate Jamie?
  • Options
    No, I was a spectator, and Jamie can be found in the summer in the Canterbury area.
  • Options
    When Broad pitches it up he is near unplayable, so why does he bowl back of a length for so much of the time, it's crazy.

Once he bangs it in he has lost the battle, a 6'6" fast bowler hitting a length is a nightmare but by bowling short he takes out bowled and LBW from the equation.
  • Options

When Broad pitches it up he is near unplayable, so why does he bowl back of a length for so much of the time, it's crazy.

Once he bangs it in he has lost the battle, a 6'6" fast bowler hitting a length is a nightmare but by bowling short he takes out bowled and LBW from the equation.

Agree. Think he still has designs on being an "enforcer". Keep it fuller, and like against the aussies, they can't play him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He'll be back to bowling short shit in the next test. He's got his next 5 tests all sorted now, so, back to the usual dross he serves up.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Agree. Think he still has designs on being an "enforcer". Keep it fuller, and like against the aussies, they can't play him
    There was a very interesting interview with Broad on the BBC site last week in which he seemed to suggest that the 'enforcer' role was something he was asked to do, and that it was him last year who decided to pitch it up more.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

There was a very interesting interview with Broad on the BBC site last week in which he seemed to suggest that the 'enforcer' role was something he was asked to do, and that it was him last year who decided to pitch it up more.
    I'll check that out, cheers. Obviously, the England management know more than I do, and the players do perform to a plan or strategy, it just seemed that Broad was ineffective for quite a while, so they must have noticed something!
  • Options

The England set up have threatened to drop him before unless he bowls a fuller line and notably he shifted his length up a foot or so from Friday to Saturday. He could have had three/four wickets on Saturday morning but they went to Finn instead who didn't bowl all that well but that's cricket for you. Anyway he kept that line going on Sunday and got the breaks. He's really a rhythm bowler though when it all clicks he's unplayable.

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/22510984
    Fate, and possibly England's selectors, had other ideas. Going into the home series with India in the summer of 2011, Broad was drawing censure in the media for what his critics saw as an obsession with the short ball.

No matter that it was team strategy, or that new bowling coach David Saker was referring to him as England's "enforcer". The wickets weren't coming, but the chop might have been. Broad realised he had to take his education into his own hands.

"You have to adapt your game to fit into the team plan at times, but me adapting to the team plan was going to cost me my place in the side. I needed to find a way to take wickets but still be aggressive."

“As a bowler, you have to get your body fired up; you have to hate the batsman. I've also always admired sportsmen who had fight in them - throwing the first punch...

Before the first Test at Lord's, Broad thought long and hard about those heroes of his youth, McGrath and Walsh, and of the fast-bowling legends who preceded them.

The memories, and the YouTube clips, coalesced in a simple, single thought: the best bowlers took most of their wickets by drawing batsmen forward, bowling them or finding the outside edge.

"I went to Lord's for the first Test, my head all 'am I going to play or not?'. Straussy came to me and told me I was in, and I just remember thinking, 'I'm in; I'm going to nail it. This is my series'.

"I sat down with (coach Andy) Flower and Strauss and said, 'Look, I get asked to bowl this bouncer, but I want to be in and around off-stump, challenging. So please let me have a cover if we get the chance. I know there are times we'll need three slips, but gully's never really in the game for me. Let me have a cover, and I can try that fuller length.' They said, 'OK, go for it'.
  • Options
    Surprised no comments on here, but for those who dont know, the first day of second test has been abandoned due to rain.
    PS Its being played at Headingley - and the max temp today is 8 degs. !
    Nuff said methinks.
  • Options
    well at least for we weekend cricketers it looks as if we ll get a game in tomorrow

(provided the covers have been on)
  • Options
    The way the 2 teams batted and bowled at Lords, they won't need 5 days to get a result anyway, and the weather forecast for the next few days is better.
  • Options
    Blimey, totally blue skies over Leeds today means we will get a full days play.
    After having worked there for 2 years, i will now have to go to my second hand for the number of sunny days in Leeds i have seen.
  • Options
    Bit of swing early doors.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England win toss and are batting BTW !
  • Options
    compton out.

11/1
  • Options
    Compton gone early (again).

C Brownlie B Southee 1 (11).

England 11-1
  • Options
    Compton out caught in the slips for 1.
    His place for the Ashes must now be in jeopardy methinks once KP comes back i would Root to go to opening and Compton dropped.
  • Options
    Tell you what, that Brownlie doesnt drop much in the slips !
  • Options
    I'm not a Compton fan. However tbf Cook used to annoy the hell out of me a few years ago, when he was always caught behind/slips or lbw and he ended up the best, so there's still time.
  • Options
    NZ just "wasted" a Review. Thought the 'keeper would have seen that missing.
    45-1.
  • Options
    Imagine a top seven of Cook,Root,Trott,KP,Bell,Bairstow and Prior ! Sounds good to me !
  • Options
    England moving serenely along 54-1.
    Thats gonna be the kiss of death !
  • Options
    If KP is back, it is definitely Compton v Bairstow for the final spot.