Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2013/2014 Our 15-20 Goal Striker

Very interesting looking at the table - that we're literally 3 wins off being a solid top-6 side. The missing link seems to be a first choice striker to step up and score 15-20 goals. This alongside goals from Jackson/Kermo etc would propel us into a genuine promotion contender. Thinking for next season - who could this realistically be?

In the past we've had:

1997-1998 - Super Clive
1999-2000 - Andy Hunt
2005-2007 - Darren Bent
2010-2012 - BWP

Thoughts? What's realistic? Perhaps:

A proven Championship striker like David Nugent or Ebanks-Blake.
Someone who could potentially make the step up like Paddy Madden or Will Gregg
Someone dropping down like DJ Campbell or a young loanee

Comments

• Options
    I'd like us to go back for Baldock.
  • Options
    The return of Darren Bent
  • Options
    we will defo sign a striker in the summer with Obika going back but your guess is as good as mine as to who that will be.

neither Cardiff or Hull have a goalscorer in the top 15 chart.
  • Options
    Not sure if he would get the 15-20 goals a season but I liked the look of Sordell when he played at the Valley.
  • Options
    Would like DJ Campbell, if possible

Depends on the budget really, there will be alot out of there but maybe see who's out of contract first.
  • Options
    Simeon Jackson- Norwich, would be good 26 yo
    Fontaine would be good again but 31 years old so only short term
    Nouble- 20 Years old

A list of Championship players out of contract here as at work cant post everyone i think at mo

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?240165-Championship-players-out-of-contract-this-summer
  • Options
    Yann might not be far off, given a full season and our improved crossing ability...
  • Options
    Baldock.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Cardiff are going to be champions and not one player has scored more than 10 goals for them

Just need another current striker and midfielder to start scoring as many goals as yann and johnnie.
  • Options

Nouble- 20 Years old

A list of Championship players out of contract here as at work cant post everyone i think at mo

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?240165-Championship-players-out-of-contract-this-summer

Ancient list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paddy Madden looks useful - not afraid to shoot and clearly got an eye for goal in the couple of times I've seen him
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="johnnybev1987">Simeon Jackson- Norwich, would be good 26 yo
    Nouble- 20 Years old

</blockquote>

Frank Nouble? The one we had on loan, if so your a crazy fella he is dog shite.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Cardiff have done alright without a 20 goal striker......In fact they've done alright without even a 10 goal a season striker. I think it's in midfield where we need to be focused on.
  • Options
    been watching Tom Pope but no idea how much he'd cost
  • Options
    How's Obika been playing chaps? Is he good enough to get a chance at Spurs?
    Havent seen much of him in the last 18 months.
  • Options
    barely had any game time really, looks quick though and I'd take him on a season long loan if available
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

How's Obika been playing chaps? Is he good enough to get a chance at Spurs?
    Havent seen much of him in the last 18 months.

So far he's scored one goal, he's another who needs a couple of starts in our last few games to show what he can do. CP in the meantime is presumably watching him in the reserve matches and in training. Is his lack of game time a hint that CP isn't that impressed??

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Depends how much money we have of course but if we're looking for a fox-in-the-box type of player to complement Yann, this guy is worth a look. He's very highly regarded by Inverness CT, where he's recently signed a new contract, but he started at Leicester and could welcome the chance to return to England and may be get into the Premier League. Second top scorer in the SPL this season.

http://eurorivals.net/video/billy-mckay-goal-machine-2013/682716
  • Options
    1997-1998 - Super Clive
    1999-2000 - Andy Hunt
    2005-2007 - Darren Bent
    2010-2012 - BWP

Worth noting that when these players came to Charlton there were question marks over them - Darren Bent for example was highly regarded but thought to be a bit light-weight, and apparently was rejected by most of the Premier League before we took a punt, Mendonca/BWP had injury problems etc.

We need to find a striker that compliments the way we play and who can feed off Kermogant and we need to get lucky in finding someone a bit hungry and with a point to prove and who won't break the bank. Quite who that is I don't know, trying to get strikers on loan from Prem clubs or buying Prem League rejects hasn't worked in the past. I think we just need to get lucky...
  • Options

Nouble- 20 Years old

That link is for last season.They had Button at Barnsley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As said Cardiff and Hull haven't needed one although I'm sure their managers wish they had one.

On the other hand Blackburn and Palace have been over reliant on their sole goal scorers. When Murray stopped scoring Palace have started losing.

Build a team and squad and don't be reliant on one player who might get injured or lose form.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Nouble- 20 Years old

That link is for last season.They had Button at Barnsley.
    Sorry ppl didnt realise, Premiership ones are correct though.

On the Nouble front although he's prob not available now saw he scored a couple in the week, i didn't see him when he was on loan here but always thought he was quick and has potential.
  • Options
    Although Cardiff haven't had a 10+ goal striker i think if we had a 15 + goal striker or someone who complements Kerm we will have a better chance
  • Options
    Madden at Yeovil seems a good prospect.

But of the names listed so far i think Simeon Jackson is the best shout
  • Options
    Ronaldo from Real Madrid could offer us à lot going forward I think.
  • Options
    Messi is half decent, just not tall enough
  • Options

As said Cardiff and Hull haven't needed one although I'm sure their managers wish they had one.

On the other hand Blackburn and Palace have been over reliant on their sole goal scorers. When Murray stopped scoring Palace have started losing.

Build a team and squad and don't be reliant on one player who might get injured or lose form.

After Murray with 29, the next higher league scorer (Zaha) has 6
    After Rhodes on 25, nobody else has more than 5

With out current form, and goals being spread around the team, we'd be up in the top 6 anyway, and while a 25 goal striker would be nice, unless we got lucky I can't see our budget stretching that far. It took several years back at The Valley, building up from the low base befiore we could afford Super Clive in 1997.
  • Options
    Cardiff is a bit misleading anyway. They bought a 15-20 goal striker (Maynard) who got injured. Then they shared the goals out around the side but then in january bought a 15-20 goal striker (Campbell) to get them over the line. If those 2 played a whole season in this league they'd easily get 20 goals.

Hull also share the goals out but Gedo would probably have got them 15-20 goals if he'd been there all season.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Charlie Austin, the 6 million dollar man.
  • Options
    what kind of season has that Wycombe striker from last season had ?