Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Sullivan and Mambo released this summer

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:

Top bloke, but not a Championship quality keeper. Best for us and for him that he moves on. Hope he gets a good contract with the right club.

Agreed. Good luck to him in the future.
  • Options
    I read it that we give them a months notice, so they can find new employment. Otherwise they will just leave and have no where to go, and no pay.
  • Options
    Gutted Mambo has gone. Thought he would make a good enough squad player next season which is fine considering his age. I guess they don't think he will be good enough for the Premier League in two years time.
  • Options
    The club would have announced the lads being released sometime next week after the last game (Like most clubs do this time of year) anyway. They have decided to tell them a week early. No conspiracy theories in my opinion. Just 2 + 2 = 22 again.
  • Options
    Its also what i think mate thats why i said

D is more realistic and far to likely but gives no one anything to worry about

I honestly think its just the ruthless side of football that happens at all clubs

If ade azeez has gone i will be pissed off because i have liked what i have seen and heard
  • Options
    Definitely D. Contracts end 30th June, so they've been told now that they're not being renewed.
  • Options
    Mambo's and Sullivans seasons are done now. If Brentford had won on saturday we probably would've heard something about bwp.
  • Options

Its also what i think mate thats why i said

D is more realistic and far to likely but gives no one anything to worry about

I honestly think its just the ruthless side of football that happens at all clubs

If ade azeez has gone i will be pissed off because i have liked what i have seen and heard

Not sure about ruthless, just letting them know before they start renewing contracts for new season next week. In fact seems like exactly the right think to do.
  • Options
    I think if you asked a manager in any business letting people go for tge right of the business and no other real reason is extreemly difficult and a ruthless decision

It is not a criticism of the club just an observation of football as a business which is ruthless
  • Options
    Good luck to him - he was third choice behind Hamer and Button and with Pope getting more experience he was surplus to requirements. Best of luck in finding a new club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It says he had a chat with the club and his time is over. What i doesn't say is if he chose to leave to pursue First team football or if he was surplus to requirements. I suspect a bit of both.
  • Options
    On Late Kick Off, Powell semi joked that Sullivan (who was playing well for Wimbledon) was playing to try and get himself a contract, so no great surprise.

It doesn't look like Mambo won't make it as a Championship level defender, but should have a decent career in the lower leagues
  • Options
    I think that they've been told now as Powell is a decent man and wants to give them as much time as possible to find new clubs
  • Options
    Best of luck to him. Hope Yads gets a decent crack. You never know might end up like Eliott, Turner, Primus, Shittu all of whom ended up coming back from being a step down to play at the top level.
  • Options

Why do it before the final game of the season though doesnt seem right or fair to me

L1 and L2 have finished, and managers there are now looking for new recruits, so it gives our released players a better chance of finding a new club?
  • Options

Why do it before the final game of the season though doesnt seem right or fair to me

Unless we are trimming the wage bill to either

a show a healthier balance sheet when selling the business

B to ensure we get through summer

C to make room for quality signings

You decide

B
  • Options

Best of luck to him. Hope Yads gets a decent crack. You never know might end up like Eliott, Turner, Primus, Shittu all of whom ended up coming back from being a step down to play at the top level.

The raw materials are there in terms of his physical attributes. Only ever seen him play once so can't comment about the rest, but he certainly wouldn't be the first defender to peak relatively late in his career - that position is as much about nouce and reading the game as any position and a lot of that you can only get with experience.

• Options
    Not suprised by either of these. Seen nothing from MAmbo to suggest he'd make the grade. Both will carve themselves decent careers in the lower leagues and I wish them both all the best for the future...........
  • Options
    Loved his sitcoms
  • Options
    If Sullivan and Mambo have announced details of their release then fine but anybody else is speculation. Maybe we can just wait for some clarification. This time of year is always difficult with players soon out of contract.

Sullivan is a decent keeper and competed well but his days with us were numbered the moment Button arrived. Really wish him well.

Mambo is a difficult one - would you play him in front of Taylor, Dervite, Cort? Can he compete with any new central defender? Mambo needs first team football, another year in the development squad would only limit him and playing time for Feely, Ajayi, Osbourne and Lennon not to mention Gomez. I wish the lad well.

Releasing Azeez would be a surprise but any issue may be more an impasse over the size and length of contract on offer. If so there will be 2 months to resolve any issues though communicating anything via twitter is very unwise. Such things happen all the time.

Evina is a different situation altogether. I suspect he was signed on a decent contract expecting a first team spot, Oldham had already offered him terms. Then Wiggins was suddenly available after Watford agreed terms with Bournemouth and we stepped in. Evina is another player who needs first team football and much as I would like him to, he is unlikely to stay to simply sit on the bench. Any game time in the U21's limits opportunities for Morgan Fox and others.

For younger players to get the chance to progress sadly others just have to move on.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amazing how we're releasing our two most unused players and some still try and throw the armageddon twist on it!
  • Options
    Good luck to JS who seems a very decent chap and will certainly find himself another league team where I hope he gets playing time.

Same to Mambo, shame it never quite worked but I am sure he will push on and get a league club.

The other 2 have said nowt on twitter that suggest they are leaving.
  • Options
    spot on Grapevine
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Amazing how we're releasing our two most unused players and some still try and throw the armageddon twist on it!

Is that anything like the Harlem Shuffle?
  • Options
    Good luck to Sully, met him a couple of times and he is a decent fella, hope he does well at his new club.....model pro who never complained about not playing. Good luck also to you ng Mambo.....hope he goes on in the footsteps of Turner and Shittu.
  • Options
    Sully needs a good run of games somewhere. I thought he looked good when he first arrived and stood in for Elliot, but he seemed a bit nervy in some of his more recent appearances for us - probably lacking match sharpness.

He does come across as a good fella so I hope it works out for him.

Good luck to Mambo too - it's always nice to see our academy products playing league football, even if not with us.
  • Options
    Was chatting to him before the Millwall away match. Seems a genuinely nice guy. Not sure we saw enough of him to say he is not good enough for the Championship so wish him well for the future. He stayed local to us despite not getting much of a look-in and, for that, he has my respect. Best wishes JS.
  • Options
    Good luck to the fella
  • Options
    Evina is going nowhere
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Was chatting to him before the Millwall away match. Seems a genuinely nice guy. Not sure we saw enough of him to say he is not good enough for the Championship so wish him well for the future. He stayed local to us despite not getting much of a look-in and, for that, he has my respect. Best wishes JS.

In the 4-5 games league games he played for us, he looked shaky every single time. I'd say League One/Two is his level considering he's never really held down a 1st team place anywhere he has been.

Good luck though John.