Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Sullivan and Mambo released this summer

Comments

• Options
    Out of contract players 99% of the time know by now if they are going to be offered a new contract or not in the summer.

The only difference now is some players share it on Twitter.
  • Options
    I would be worried if we were not approaching those that we want to keep by now and with that in mind they will all have an inclination if they are going to be offered something or not.

It makes sense to let those that are no longer required know as soon we make that decision. It's also interesting that the two that have gone public were on loan and their seasons have finished. They may well have knows for weeks (I mean it's not as though we would have seen anything new in training) and they didn't want it to be made public until their season was finished.

It is also useful to know if you are going to be a free agent at the end of the season while you are in another club's first team, I would imagine.

Anyway I can't see anything untoward in any of this.
  • Options
    Good luck to Yado and John. Hope they both have good careers elsewhere.

As others have said Mambo has time to improve as a player but can already point to a large number of league games played.

Sullivan seems to have done well for AFC Wimbledon so hope he can sort out a deal.

Sure there will be a few others but someone needs to remember the old age "I'll only believe it when it is on the OS" : - )
  • Options
    Good luck to John Sullivan. Brave as they come and a proper keeper.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Good luck to both players. In terms of Sullivan, I think it probably for the best for both player (career progression) and club (off wage bill & other players available). With Mambo the case is perhaps not so clear cut, but perhaps the same is applicable.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I am relieved at the analysis on the other thread which seems to indicate that Azeez's tweets last night were in relation to the positive news of Harriott's call up to the England Under 19's rather than him being released.

In terms of Mambo and Sullivan,I wish them both well and would not be surprised if they moved back up the leagues if they had a decent run of games in Leagues One and Two.The prime for a goalie and centre back is often later than for other players.

As others have said we have assisted both players this season in allowing them to play league football on loan and given the competition for places in their respective positions it is unlikely they would make a breakthrough with us any-time soon.

Concerning Evina,I'm sure we will offer him something.My concern here is whether he might prefer to go somewhere else to become a regular first teamer. As I have said in other threads I think Morgan Fox is one of our more impressive youngsters,whether he is ready to be the cover left back is a different question.
  • Options
    I guess the decision for all players in this position is do they stay at a bigger club with the prospect of being a reserve for a lot of the season or do they take a pay cut for a better chance of first team football lower down the league?

Obviously there are other factors to be considered, and they do need to be offered a deal, but I would like to think that we would keep the players that are good enough to step in when needed.

Also I guess a lot depends on what happens with the first choice player in their position. I mean in Wiggins refuses to sign an extension that Evina might be tempted to think that the place would be his in a year if we don't sell Wiggins this summer.
  • Options

Sully needs a good run of games somewhere. I thought he looked good when he first arrived and stood in for Elliot, but he seemed a bit nervy in some of his more recent appearances for us - probably lacking match sharpness.

He does come across as a good fella so I hope it works out for him.

Good luck to Mambo too - it's always nice to see our academy products playing league football, even if not with us.</bloc
    Think your right about him needing a run of games,its got to be hard when you come in and try to make your mark in so little time.although he did have a few chances i think there will be a club in for him seems a decent fella.

• Options

Sure there will be a few others but someone needs to remember the old age "I'll only believe it when its on the stickied Current Squad and Confirmed Signings & Sales - Summer of 2013 (Updated 1st May) thread " : - )

Well said
  • Options
    Id keep cedy just for his popularity in the squad

They all seem to love the lad and he is good enough for champiknship
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best of luck,John and thank you for all you have done for CAFC.
  • Options

Id keep cedy just for his popularity in the squad

They all seem to love the lad and he is good enough for champiknship

Agree but the vibes I got when talking to him the other week was that he desperately wants 1st team football and that isn't going to happen with Wiggins ahead of him.
  • Options
    Good luck Sully......
  • Options
    Sullivan has joined non league Cambridge U from Pompey on loan until the end of the season.
  • Options

Sullivan has joined non league Cambridge U from Pompey on loan until the end of the season.

He chose Pompey over AFC Wimbledon who desperately wanted him back too.
  • Options
    The goalie at AFC wimbledon instead is our old goalie ross worner who never really played. By all accounts must be doing well, just been nominated for league 2 player of month, very good going for a goalkeeper to be up for it.
  • Options
    Addick90 said:

The goalie at AFC wimbledon instead is our old goalie ross worner who never really played. By all accounts must be doing well, just been nominated for league 2 player of month, very good going for a goalkeeper to be up for it.

Yes a friend of mine loves him, said he looks a top keeper for them.
  • Options
    Thought Worner looked pretty good for us when he had a run of 4 or 5 games in the side. Bit disappointed we let him go.
  • Options
    I guess that he was considered a little short for a top keeper.

They all seem to be around 6'3" these days.
  • Options
    I don't know who it was in goal in the pre season friendly against the wombles but he was proper pony
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mambo was released at the end of his contract.

Did he get fixed up with a new club?
  • Options

I don't know who it was in goal in the pre season friendly against the wombles but he was proper pony

I think it was Button.
  • Options
    Wasn't the reason he picked Portsmouth over us was they offered him two years, and Wimbledon only one, so for security reasons you can see why he went there.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Mambo was released at the end of his contract.

Did he get fixed up with a new club?

I think he picked up amn injury before he got a new club and is or was recuperating.

• Options
    Yado picked up a knee injury, which was operated on in late summer/Aug, is fit now and looking for a club.
  • Options
    Thanks, Pete and Kap.

Good luck to the lad.
  • Options
    Never really rated Sullivan, looked dodgy each time I saw him. Amazing how quickly he has dropped down the leagues though.

As for Ross Worner, he was absolutely atrocious in the pre season friendly we played against AFC Wimbledon in the Summer.
  • Options
    Agree with Tom regarding Ross Worner, he had a shocker in the summer, spoke to Yado today, he is hoping to get a club sorted this month, think he is good enough for League 2 and possibly 1.