Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options

Good pub crawl yesterday in Lewes, went in 6 pubs all were pretty good but special mention to the Royal Oak which has been superbly done up.

The Snowdrop Inn in Lewes is always worth a visit. Not named after the flower, but rather the deadliest avalanche in British history which happened in 1836. The pub was built on the site of the 7 destroyed workers' cottages in 1840 & is still going strong today.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

It was widely reported yesterday that Enterprise Inns (EI Group) are considering selling their whole property portfolio. This could be really bad news for pubs in SE London as EI and it's subsidiary companies own loads of them; Pelton, Red Lion & Bull (both Shooters Hill) and the Park Tavern in Eltham to name just a few. I wouldn't imagine many tenants would be able to or even want to buy their freeholds. They may not even be given the option. Of course other Pub Co's like Youngs or M&B may be interested but more worryingly so will loads of property developers.

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2018/11/22/CAMRA-urges-Ei-not-to-sell-pubs-to-developers?fbclid=IwAR1bGgZ8BX-doWAoRMBK7ZNdVAILK75FpwJ1olZI27W1QtTciih4ItM0tKo

• Options

Good pub crawl yesterday in Lewes, went in 6 pubs all were pretty good but special mention to the Royal Oak which has been superbly done up.

The Snowdrop Inn in Lewes is always worth a visit. Not named after the flower, but rather the deadliest avalanche in British history which happened in 1836. The pub was built on the site of the 7 destroyed workers' cottages in 1840 & is still going strong today.
    Lovely pub been in there several times.
  • Options
    Most pubs are too big and are empty mid week thats why Micro Pubs are springing up. We have the biggest concentration down here in Broadstairs (six within walking distance of me) and they all have better atmosphere than the 10-12 pubs in can walk to.
  • Options

Most pubs are too big and are empty mid week thats why Micro Pubs are springing up. We have the biggest concentration down here in Broadstairs (six within walking distance of me) and they all have better atmosphere than the 10-12 pubs in can walk to.

I am completely behind the ethos of what a mivropubs should be, good drink, decent people and conversation with other humans

I get that pubs make their money from doing food and the midweek drink is dying so big pubs that are not essentially McDonald's with a licence are falling down

Also with the football comes the armchair know it all arsehole which is one of the quickest ways to get me out of the pub during football

Long live the microbrewery/pub.
  • Options
    I love the micro pubs, but the nearest to me is a 20-25 minute bus ride away or a train ride to either Eltham or Hayes. I see there's one planned for Hither Green from earlier in this thread, which is still a fair old trek from where I live but I look forward to visiting it.

• Options
    Not sure how much in this, but apparently Wetherspoons looking at the Pickwick.
  • Options
    Here in ShepherdsWell we have a B&B who turned their bar into a Micro Pub, The Tipsy Gardner. Well worth a visit, and run by a fellow Addick who moved down from Eltham.

• Options

Would be very surprised if that happened. Apart from anything else, I'm struggling to think of a single Wetherspoons pub that actually occupies a conventional pub building rather than a converted shop/cinema bingo hall or purpose built venue.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Would be very surprised if that happened. Apart from anything else, I'm struggling to think of a single Wetherspoons pub that actually occupies a conventional pub building rather than a converted shop/cinema bingo hall or purpose built venue.
    Don’t know where these premises are exactly ....but Wetherspoons always put their pubs in a location where there is a reasonably significant footfall.
    If I’m not mistaken there isn’t much footfall where you are suggesting?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

MrLargo said:

Don’t know where these premises are exactly ....but Wetherspoons always put their pubs in a location where there is a reasonably significant footfall.

You've lost me. I'm not suggesting anywhere. The previous poster said they're rumored to be looking at The Pickwick. I said they don't usually put their pubs in traditional pub buildings (such as the Pickwick). They usually do purpose-built (such as the one in Greenwich) or convert buildings that used to be used for something else (Forest Hill - former cinema, Lewisham and Lee Green - converted shops).
  • Options
    Greyhound Bromley and Sovereign of the Seas Petts Wood have always been pubs. Also Richmal Compton Bromley South
  • Options
    With the prices that a Wetherspoons charge they will always draw people in.

The (old)Pickwick was not in the best location though the so it would be interesting to see how they got on if it opened up.

Always liked The Pickwick, the service was good and you tended to not get so many people in there.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

You've lost me. I'm not suggesting anywhere. The previous poster said they're rumored to be looking at The Pickwick. I said they don't usually put their pubs in traditional pub buildings (such as the Pickwick). They usually do purpose-built (such as the one in Greenwich) or convert buildings that used to be used for something else (Forest Hill - former cinema, Lewisham and Lee Green - converted shops).
    I know that Mr L......I was just adding another reason to the one you had already mentioned as to why I wouldn’t think that they’ll be interested in that site.
    i.e. little or no passing trade.
    However, they do in fact often take on old existing pub establishments......as pointed out by Bromley Graham above......there’s 3 in The Borough of Bromley alone.
  • Options
    Brockley barge is another pub.

Pickwick is too small and not in right location for Wetherspoons though.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

The (old)Pickwick was not in the best location though the so it would be interesting to see how they got on if it opened up.

Always liked The Pickwick, the service was good and you tended to not get so many people in there.

Especially when you turned up with your intimidating possie of scarfer mates!
  • Options

Especially when you turned up with your intimidating possie of scarfer mates!
    And my stool.
  • Options

Here in ShepherdsWell we have a B&B who turned their bar into a Micro Pub, The Tipsy Gardner. Well worth a visit, and run by a fellow Addick who moved down from Eltham.

Used to drink in the Bell, many moons ago.
  • Options

If a Wetherspoons opened in Charlton it would be rammed on match days and do well the rest of the time.
    I've been saying for years they should open one.
  • Options

If a Wetherspoons opened in Charlton it would be rammed on match days and do well the rest of the time.
    Antigallican (?spelling) would probably be the place
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    LenGlover said:

Antigallican (?spelling) would probably be the place
    Not central enough and not much footfall for their purposes Len.......unfortunately.

• Options
    Riviera said:

It was widely reported yesterday that Enterprise Inns (EI Group) are considering selling their whole property portfolio. This could be really bad news for pubs in SE London as EI and it's subsidiary companies own loads of them; Pelton, Red Lion & Bull (both Shooters Hill) and the Park Tavern in Eltham to name just a few. I wouldn't imagine many tenants would be able to or even want to buy their freeholds. They may not even be given the option. Of course other Pub Co's like Youngs or M&B may be interested but more worryingly so will loads of property developers.

This could devastate the pub scene. The Times reports several Private Equity firms have bid for their portfolio already, looking to cash in on the lucrative property assets.

Can't see them wanting to keep them as pubs when there's money to be made from shit flats.
  • Options
    went to the ship and trades in chatham yesterday - pleasantly suprised food was nice, good choice of beer ( i went for the whitstable bay blonde )
  • Options

went to the ship and trades in chatham yesterday - pleasantly suprised food was nice, good choice of beer ( i went for the whitstable bay blonde )

Whitstable Bay is a cracking pint.
  • Options

Shouldn’t you be in Lapland?

• Options

I suppose it does when you never buy one.
  • Options
    Never got over the Barge Pole being knocked down, Fantastic Pub! Thamesmead is losing all its charm!
  • Options

Used to drink in the Bell, many moons ago.
    New ownership now and both pubs seemed to be doing well, serving different clientele. The Brick is still shut but if you have a spare £26,000 it could be yours, or two new houses if the owners get their way.
  • Options

Shouldn’t you be in Lapland?

I got the sack.
  • Options
    Went again to the newish Wetherspoons in Ramsgate yesterday ( the biggest in UK) - Veggie Burger / Chips etc and a glass of Pinot Grigio for the missus and a Gourmet Chicken Burger / Chips etc and a pint of Shipyard APA (my favourite) for 17 quid - the same down the front in Broadstairs would be 30-31 quid ...