Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    Went in the Rose of Denmark yesterday - never been before, but my wife & bro in law wanted a drink before the game.

Pint Fosters
    Bottle Becks
    Soda water and Lime (for the designated driver)

£9.10

And they say pubs are shutting at the rate of one a week - no wonder.
  • Options
    If I guess that the pint was a fiver and the bottle £2, then the soda water was over £2 for a half.
  • Options

If I guess that the pint was a fiver and the bottle £2, then the soda water was over £2 for a half.

Bottled beers cost roughly the same as draft. So £4, £4 and £1 would be my guess.

Normal pub prices, which the landlord has to charge in order to make a profit (and a living). But it is far, far too expensive, if you compare it to what you pay in other countries, and if you compare it to the amount of beer you could buy for £9 in the supermarket. Blame high taxes on booze and freeholders charging pubs prohibitively high rents.
  • Options
    The round would have cost about £12 in central London. Buy your drinks cheaper in a supermarket of course but there’s nowhere to sit and the atmosphere is crap.
  • Options
    Pint of Fosters
    Pint of John Smiths
    £3.65 in a pub in Barnsley last Saturday.
  • Options
    Two pints of John smiths in crossbars £9.60
    Both with heads about two inches high. Had to tell barman to top up. This happens every matchday.
  • Options
    Lord Northbrook Burnt Ash Road Lee.
    Pint of soda water and wedge of lime ..............free. Pint of Cider £5.30.
  • Options
    clive said:

Pint of Fosters
    Pint of John Smiths

Where was you drinking Clive
    Fosters and a Guinness £7 in Barnsley.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

Lots of places give soda water away for free.

I liked Lord Northbook when it first opened. Last time I had a pint in there the cask had gone bad and the staff were rude.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fosters £4.10 in ROD
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clive said:

Pint of Fosters
    Pint of John Smiths

Where was you drinking Clive
    Fosters and a Guinness £7 in Barnsley.
    'Chennels 'opposite the 'The Corner Pin' where a pint of John Smiths & a pint of Carling was about £3.50.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

Liked the old Northbrook (lived very close by), havn't been in there since it became the Lord Northbrook.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Not sure how much in this, but apparently Wetherspoons looking at the Pickwick.

Would be very surprised if that happened. Apart from anything else, I'm struggling to think of a single Wetherspoons pub that actually occupies a conventional pub building rather than a converted shop/cinema bingo hall or purpose built venue.
    The Thomas Waghorn in Chatham was the Firkin, which was the old post office prior to that
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    MrLargo said:

Bottled beers cost roughly the same as draft. So £4, £4 and £1 would be my guess.

Normal pub prices, which the landlord has to charge in order to make a profit (and a living). But it is far, far too expensive, if you compare it to what you pay in other countries, and if you compare it to the amount of beer you could buy for £9 in the supermarket. Blame high taxes on booze and freeholders charging pubs prohibitively high rents.
    I'm pretty sure that drinking in the UK certainly outside of London is cheaper than comparable countries around the world. I paid £30 for 2 pints of Stella in Shang Hai albeit in a smart hotel but even in city bars beer was about £8 a pint.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    drinking in london is a joke was waiting for the mrs pre xmas to see lights etc up oxford street had a 20 minute wait so popped in the all bar one by embankment £6.10 for a pint of camden hells!!!!!!!

the mrs lives in tooting bec and most of the pubs near her are ridiculous, only one that isnt bad is a greene king on tooting broadway called the kings head 2 bottles for £5.00

oak is £4.00 for a fosters
  • Options

May 2013, first comment, Porcupine in Mottingham. 5 and a half years later, still boarded up and nothing happening. People in Mottingham deprived of a cheaper supermarket for what! Bob Neill must be very proud.

I thought that was turned into a Lidl ages ago, was my local for a long time
    No, the great and good of Mottingham want to retain a pub they probably never set foot in. As BG says Bob Neil and his cohorts must be proud.
    My old next door neighbours were involved in the I think and you're right, they've definitely never set foot in there.
  • Options
    My Mrs and I have decided it's time we return to UK and guess what, we're look at buying a pub.
  • Options
    holyjo said:

MrLargo said:

I'm pretty sure that drinking in the UK certainly outside of London is cheaper than comparable countries around the world. I paid £30 for 2 pints of Stella in Shang Hai albeit in a smart hotel but even in city bars beer was about £8 a pint.
    Is Shanghai comparable to any UK city outside of London? I'd say Newcastle/Leeds/Sheffield/wherever have a has a lot more in common with, for example, Hamburg, Porto, Valencia, Lille, Gdansk, Rotterdam or Naples than they do with Shanghai (which is the commercial and financial centre of the most populous country in the world. And I'm pretty sure a beer in a local bar in any of those cities would be cheaper or at least as cheap as UK cities outside of London.

Think the Scandinavian countries are the only ones in Europe with higher alcohol prices than us.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

holyjo said:

MrLargo said:

Is Shanghai comparable to any UK city outside of London? I'd say Newcastle/Leeds/Sheffield/wherever have a has a lot more in common with, for example, Hamburg, Porto, Valencia, Lille, Gdansk, Rotterdam or Naples than they do with Shanghai (which is the commercial and financial centre of the most populous country in the world. And I'm pretty sure a beer in a local bar in any of those cities would be cheaper or at least as cheap as UK cities outside of London.

Think the Scandinavian countries are the only ones in Europe with higher alcohol prices than us.
    Don't they ha e funny off licence type shops, run by the government?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My Mrs and I have decided it's time we return to UK and guess what, we're look at buying a pub.

I hear the Baring Hall could be up for sale soon mate.

Not sure if you are familiar with the area though ?!?
  • Options

I hear the Baring Hall could be up for sale soon mate.

Not sure if you are familiar with the area though ?!?
    Baring Hall is listed at the moment mate

We're looking Devon / Somerset way
  • Options

MrLargo said:

holyjo said:

MrLargo said:

Dunno mate, not been to Scandinavia for years, the beer's too expensive!

I'm sure you're right though, I heard that when it comes to shops you're the man in the know!
  • Options
    £3.00 a pint at the Tipsy Gardener, Shepherdswell between 5-7pm (Hoppy Hour).

2 x Casks and 6 x Kegs. Nothing below 5%
  • Options
    Remember when Happy Hour was £1 a pint, come to think of it, I remember full price was £1.25....
  • Options

lord Kitchener in welling has shut down.

• Options

Stevelamb said:

Liked the old Northbrook (lived very close by), havn't been in there since it became the Lord Northbrook.
    You liked the old Northbrook!!!!!
    It was an utter shit hole......you haven’t been in the new one so how can you compare it, why haven’t you been in there as it’s very very popular?
    The new one is far far better and has done very well giving the local community somewhere to enjoy and they do a good trade, whereas the old Northbrook was a disgusting empty depressing tip.
    Yes it’s a bit pricey but hey, so are most pubs in London nowadays.
    Give it a try......foods pretty good too.

• Options

lord Kitchener in welling has shut down.

You should invest mate. The rate pubs are closing, they'll be in high demand at some point
  • Options

I take it you do not go into a pub too often.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

holyjo said:

MrLargo said:

Yes, Systembolaget.