Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Pelham123 said:
    Bottom of West Hill in the row of shops where Maison Maurice used to be, you’ll know where I mean if you lurked around Dartford in the 70s. Great choice of ale.
    Definitely did my fair share of lurking around there. Was Maison Maurice the hairdressers 🤔
  • Options
    Yeah, and Anirog was the computer games shop. 
  • Options
    White Hart in Eltham currently being refurbed after (rumour has it) new owners turning it into a sports bar.
    Greyhound in Eltham also planned to reopen as a pub and also the Bankers Draft going to remain as a pub after weatherspoons include it as one for closure.
  • Options
    White Hart in Eltham currently being refurbed after (rumour has it) new owners turning it into a sports bar.
    Greyhound in Eltham also planned to reopen as a pub and also the Bankers Draft going to remain as a pub after weatherspoons include it as one for closure.
    That would be ironic if they turned a Wetherspoons into a bank.
  • Options
    Pelham123 said:
    Bottom of West Hill in the row of shops where Maison Maurice used to be, you’ll know where I mean if you lurked around Dartford in the 70s. Great choice of ale.
    Definitely did my fair share of lurking around there. Was Maison Maurice the hairdressers 🤔
    Correct
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    That would be ironic if they turned a Wetherspoons into a bank.
    Well that one did used to be Barclays’ Eltham branch. 
  • Options
    good news if the greyhound is gonna be a pub again - ridiculous that they converted banks and post offices into pubs in Eltham and turned the best pub into an indian restaraunt and then closed it to sit dormant for years - should have a preservation order put on it 
  • Options
    I note there is some kind of structure emerging behind the shell that was once the Victoria in Charlton. Although there are plans to keep some of its character it is to become a pizza takeaway + flat  :(

The white panels in this image are where the Truman Eagle icons currently exist - there is a plan to retain them.

• Options
    Pelham123 said:
    Is the Chinese restaurant still there?
  • Options
    Pelham123 said:
    Yes mate. Now called the Peking Diner instead of the Sun Do. Most expensive Chinese in town but worth it usually. Although they stopped the Crispy Hung So Duck so I’m out.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    good news if the greyhound is gonna be a pub again - ridiculous that they converted banks and post offices into pubs in Eltham and turned the best pub into an indian restaraunt and then closed it to sit dormant for years - should have a preservation order put on it 
    Looks like it’s the Antic group looking to reopen the greyhound.

https://regulations.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/registers/index.html?fa=licence_register&licence_id=16192&council_id=12

• Options
    Pelham123 said:
    Yes mate. Now called the Peking Diner instead of the Sun Do. Most expensive Chinese in town but worth it usually. Although they stopped the Crispy Hung So Duck so I’m out.  
    Good to hear that mate.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Decent refurb on the Jolly Millers along Mayplace Road West, Bexleyheath although don't think it's finished yet.

Went for a quick one on Saturday afternoon and ended up staying for five.

Had the added bonus of sport being on TV with the sound down so that you could listen to the music playing but still watch the sport if you wanted.
  • Options
    Anyone been in the newly refurbished Bear and Ragged Staff in Crayford?
    Got to say, the photos make it look like a wine bar 😳
    My Dad would be horrified 🫣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Decent refurb on the Jolly Millers along Mayplace Road West, Bexleyheath although don't think it's finished yet.

Had the added bonus of sport being on TV with the sound down so that you could listen to the music playing but still watch the sport if you wanted.
    am sure my missus told me it had been taken over by 2 midwives she used to work with
  • Options
    Not sure, there were two fellas behind the jump but they could both be midwives I suppose.
  • Options
    I got banned from there night before my wedding when it was called (I think) ‘The Orange Kipper’

I mean, what’s wrong with telling the barmaid that she is a ‘sour faced, miserable old cow, who has had a sense of humour bypass’ 🤷
  • Options
    I got banned from there night before my wedding when it was called (I think) ‘The Orange Kipper’

I mean, what’s wrong with telling the barmaid that she is a ‘sour faced, miserable old cow, who has had a sense of humour bypass’ 🤷
    Completely bonkers changing the name, so glad they reverted is back.
    It’s always had interesting owners & staff. It was never my pub of choice when I lived in the area.
  • Options

It’s always had interesting owners & staff. It was never my pub of choice when I lived in the area.
    What was your pub in the area ?

When I lived in Green Walk, it was either Crayford Arms, or VCD Club

Once went in (I think it was called) ‘Jolly Farmers’ by the roundabout at end of Crayford Way - fuck me, what a hell hole that was, was like walking into, well indescribable is the only word I can use !!!
  • Options

What was your pub in the area ?

When I lived in Green Walk, it was either Crayford Arms, or VCD Club

Once went in (I think it was called) ‘Jolly Farmers’ by the roundabout at end of Crayford Way - fuck me, what a hell hole that was, was like walking into, well indescribable is the only word I can use !!!
    Crikey! No one ever went in there!!!
    We tried it when they added the conservatory. Took Mum & Dad for an anniversary dinner. Never again 😳🫣🤣🤣
    If I was with parents or boyfriend at the time, the Corner Pin (Duke of Wellington). That had been our parents pub from the minute they moved from Ireland. Loved it there, first place I was taken after I was born lol
    When I worked in Homebase, we always went in the Swan.

Neither of which are there anymore 😞
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Macronate said:

am sure my missus told me it had been taken over by 2 midwives she used to work with
    True.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/23394332.jolly-millers-bexleyheath-refurbished-two-midwives/?fbclid=IwAR2_IBMjcY7kDMDP4cIvJ_Uioxfo9piDoYK21w2Lw5m6ZGehyGir-EtQLxQ
  • Options
    From that article:

The pair, 57 and 58, will continue to be midwives, and will offer complimentary cheese and business and roas potatoes on the bar on Sundays.”

Is proof reading not the News Shopper’s strong point?
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    From that article:

The pair, 57 and 58, will continue to be midwives, and will offer complimentary cheese and business and roas potatoes on the bar on Sundays.”

Is proof reading not the News Shopper’s strong point?
    Nothing is the News Shopper's strong point anymore. "Cheese and business" is a marvellous euphemism, though. 
  • Options
    Perhaps they are offering cheese, midwifery and someone called Roa is cooking some potatoes.
  • Options
    I note there is some kind of structure emerging behind the shell that was once the Victoria in Charlton. Although there are plans to keep some of its character it is to become a pizza takeaway + flat  :(

The white panels in this image are where the Truman Eagle icons currently exist - there is a plan to retain them.

One of the eagles is staying, the other will be hidden behind a Domino's sign. 
    https://charltonchampion.co.uk/2022/08/03/one-eagle-stays-the-other-goes-in-victoria-pubs-pizza-revamp-developers-tell-greenwich-council/

Went in a very similar-looking pub off Southwark Bridge Road on Sunday, the Lord Clyde - very old-school pub except for the prices... £7.25 for a Portobello pilsner and £5.50 for really dull ales (Doom Bar, etc). Trotted off to the Royal Oak, the other side of Borough tube, instead - fantastic pub and much better value!
  • Options
    The Lord Clyde was always Millwall so never liked it in there.
    Royal Oak much better.
    But my favourite is The Ship.
    Lots of happy times in there & it’s still great!
  • Options
    The crown in chiselhurst has had a major refurb. With that of course the prices go up but it doesn't look too bad. 
  • Options
    Though the seating arrangement in one area outside is a bit odd. Got 11 wooden deck chairs in a circle facing each other. 
  • Options

One of the eagles is staying, the other will be hidden behind a Domino's sign. 
    https://charltonchampion.co.uk/2022/08/03/one-eagle-stays-the-other-goes-in-victoria-pubs-pizza-revamp-developers-tell-greenwich-council/

Went in a very similar-looking pub off Southwark Bridge Road on Sunday, the Lord Clyde - very old-school pub except for the prices... £7.25 for a Portobello pilsner and £5.50 for really dull ales (Doom Bar, etc). Trotted off to the Royal Oak, the other side of Borough tube, instead - fantastic pub and much better value!
    Great pub the Royal Oak, then I do like Harvey's.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    The Lord Clyde was always Millwall so never liked it in there.
    Royal Oak much better.
    But my favourite is The Ship.
    Lots of happy times in there & it’s still great!
    I drank there regularly about 6 years ago (my office was next door) and never saw a single Millwall fan or bit of merch. It was weekdays I was in there though.