Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    And Hope you brought some socks for the soft play!
  • Options
    You don’t seem to be proving much of an attraction Elfie :-) 
    Nothing changes there mate :'(
  • Options
    What you drinking and what’s the price?
  • Options
    What you drinking and what’s the price?
    They serve you bottles of 600ml and the custom is you share between you.  
    Anyway, we paid 15 reais a bottle which is about £2.50.  In this place they only serve lager, which is not great.
  • Options
    Enjoy, hope life is treating you well mate 
  • Options
    Elf’s is in a different bar every bloody night !! 
  • Options
    What pubs were on the list?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I imagine that 10+ fellas all trying to get into the Fox and Hounds in one go would've been a challenge!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I imagine that 10+ fellas all trying to get into the Fox and Hounds in one go would've been a challenge!
    It certainly was a challenge, because it was closed by the time they got there! We headed south doing the first ten, then went back to Aldgate to do the city ones before heading in the other direction so F&H ended up being the last on the schedule. 
  • Options
    Which if any were notably close to a state of demise?
  • Options
    Pubs - none, that I could see of.
    Drinkers - all of us at some point or another.
  • Options
    Has the abundance of pubs documented on this thread proved that pubs are not in a state of demise?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    CAFCTrev said:
    Has the abundance of pubs documented on this thread proved that pubs are not in a state of demise?
    Taken literally, demise may be too strong an adjective. Unfortunately, the decline continues though: https://beerandpub.com/data-statistics
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    In London and the south east we still have plenty of pubs but there is huge swaths of the country where the village pub has gone leaving community's stranded without a watering hole and a local hub. My auntie used to live in a village not far from Kettering and there's a whole bunch of villages who have lost their pubs leaving no where to go. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Did you hit £7 a pint?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Off_it said:
    It certainly was a challenge, because it was closed by the time they got there! We headed south doing the first ten, then went back to Aldgate to do the city ones before heading in the other direction so F&H ended up being the last on the schedule. 
    Market pub, so early hours. Needs to be the starting point & a good Guinness Breakfast! 😉
  • Options
    Stig said:

I have met many people over the years coming up to the valley, that do that but only have 1/2 pint in each pub. One would suspect that with the crowd of your size if you did that, the first guy would be finished before the last guy got theirs. One would also assume you went into the closest pub.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Stig said:
    Off_it said:
    Market pub, so early hours. Needs to be the starting point & a good Guinness Breakfast! 😉
    You're thinking of the F&H at Smithfield - this one's at Sloane Square.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I have met many people over the years coming up to the valley, that do that but only have 1/2 pint in each pub. One would suspect that with the crowd of your size if you did that, the first guy would be finished before the last guy got theirs. One would also assume you went into the closest pub.
    We had a couple of pints at the beginning, but quickly switched to halves. The service was really good in all of the pubs, so there wasn't too much wasted time.
  • Options
    Did you have to go back and get the tube one stop every time?

That would be annoying having to do that from the Globe/Moorgate to the Railway Tavern/Liverpool Street for example - especially if you had to wait more than 5 mons for a tube!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    No, we love trains but not that much ;) Some we walked, some we trained and some we split up and raced.

[edit - I was particularly pissed off that I couldn't walk from The Sherlock Holmes to the Red Lion quicker than some did it on the train.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

This place is alright for a pub out here, 3 minutes walk from Cuiabá football ground.
    Why did I start singing Whipering Grass when I see this photo?

;)
    Had to see the lyrics before giving a lol :)
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:

We had a couple of pints at the beginning, but quickly switched to halves. The service was really good in all of the pubs, so there wasn't too much wasted time.
    I doff my cap to you all, a cracking effort.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Did you hit £7 a pint?
    Don't know to be honest. I tried not to look at the prices. I suspect The Blackfriar would have been over that.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    Did you hit £7 a pint?
    Don't know to be honest. I tried not to look at the prices. I suspect The Blackfriar would have been over that.
    Ouch, nice boozer though.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Tonight's entertainment.

Paid £3 to get in but at least they have bands playing.