Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:
    A lot of people are very defensive of where they live or come from , I don't see a problem.

Shut it.
    Palace mug.

He's loving living in Shirley.
    I'd have to drag the wife screaming and crying to a Croydon postcode
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    A lot of people are very defensive of where they live or come from , I don't see a problem.

Shut it.
    Palace mug.

He's loving living in Shirley.
    I'd have to drag the wife screaming and crying to a Croydon postcode

Good on your beloved, I hope she is well btw.
  • Options
    Back on subject- what an utter p*sstaking hole this sounds like, and on the industrial estate side towards woolwoch dockyard end of charlton apparently..

5 months ago
    I believe this place really should be a nightclub/shisha bar and not call themselves a restaurant but I believe this is related to licensing. Most of the issues we experienced are due to them trying to operate as a bar/club but being restricted due to being licensed as a restaurant. If you don't want to read this long review, I would say go with the expectation that this is not a real restaurant and it's a place to look cute, sit down and enjoy shisha and couple drinks with your mates while enjoying the music.

As it stands, the 'restaurant' experience is wild! (Saturday nights) Even though we had a table booked for dinner, (booking was very difficult) you need physical ID to enter the building and they search you as well as charge a £10 entry fee. The 'Hostess' didn't know which table was ours and just told us to wander around to see if we recognise members of our party that were already seated. Once seated, our friends explained that you cannot order drinks without ordering food first and that when you order anything they make you pay for it before you receive it.

All the cocktails are £13 each and pretty bad, the wine is pretty bad, your best bet is spirits and mixers if you want alcohol. They don't allow bar service even though they have a typical bar that is designed for bar service. The servers are quick to bring you the bill to pay but then your food/drinks take ages to come and the servers bring random orders to your table, for some reason they can work out which bill belongs to your table but not the correct orders. The menu is mostly 'Lebanese' but you can order suya, even though it's not on the menu...

The food is edible but the 'kitchen' is outside and it's obvious to me that they only sell food because they HAVE to. Don't go for the food, go for the vibes, music and to see/been seen. The DJ is very, very good BUT as it's a restaurant you're not allowed to stand up and dance, security guards roam around the seating area to make sure everyone follows the rules. You can get away with small-small dancing every now and then.

Aunty is seated in the toilets with lollipops, gum, wipes and various sprays just like in a nightclub. The shisha is ok but they put it on the tables which is a bit dangerous and they don't come and refresh your coals etc.
    Service
    Dine in
    Meal type
    Dinner
    Price per person
    £90–100 
  • Options

We are house sitting for Mrs Elfs aunt.
    Getting my bearings on our first night I came across this bar, doubles up as a student's pool house.
    It's alright tbf, very different to what I'm used to.
  • Options

Getting my bearings on our first night I came across this bar, doubles up as a student's pool house.
    You mean you have to pay for your drinks.
  • Options

You mean you have to pay for your drinks.
    I have applied for the student card to get the discount.
  • Options
    Place looks nice if you're into reality show aesthetics but like alot of shisha lounges it's more style than substance. Like most of the people in there.
    Went there for a works thing a few months back. Wish I hadn't bothered. They say they're a restaurant but it comes across more like a club as long as you don't move from your table. Expensive, staff are rude and the security in there are ridiculous but I guess with the trouble they have no wonder. 
  • Options
    A very strange location to have a bar, I wonder if it is being used for other purposes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fire at Crooked House Pub

Nothing dodgy about this. No Sir, nothing at all.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I take it you noted the name of the pub?!
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    How the hell does it remain open?

* Another incident saw one woman bitten on the breast and bruising to her head.

* Then on 2nd July there was an assault by a doorman. A woman was throttled.

* Met PC Mark Evans also stated the site was a base of gangs and that police intelligence stated they were bringing firearms on site. It had been stated in a report that the business had not supplied CCTV to police or met with them when requested.

Because, despite Police and Licensing team objections and advice, the panel of councillors were too weak to make a decision. No decision equals, it stays open.
    Crazy.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

I take it you noted the name of the pub?!
    Yes.

It's been in the news a lot recently. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-65141057

Pub gets sold to an entity connected with the waste business next door. Pub closes. A few months later there's a mysterious fire - now being treated as arson - and within two days of the embers dying down the remains of the building are demolished in a rush without permission.

Oh, and there were mysterious huge mounds of earth at the entrance to the site which prevented the fire brigade getting anywhere near it to tackle the fire properly, but somehow a digger appears on site to knock the building down with no problems.

An uncanny series of coincidences really.
    I think there needs to be a change in the law a for cases like this. I'm not sure exactly how it would be framed but something like, if there's an unexplained fire in a building the land use cannot change for ten years.

I had a drink in the Crooked House a few years back. Was a nice place from what I remember. I still have a photo of one of the kids pretending to hold the wall up.
  • Options
    I'm hoping they have to rebuild it exactly as it was previously, like what happened to the Carlton Tavern after that was illegally demolished-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57155143
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I know this thread focuses on the demise of the pub, but there are still some cracking ones about. We attempted a 27 pub crawl around the Circle line yesterday for my son's stag.  I ended up doing 17 of them before bailing out, the youngsters did 23 before running out of time. Didn't go in a bad pub all day.

Is that what you call a proper 'Stag Stig Night' ..... ? :)

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Anyone know what’s happening with the Antigallican? When it got planning permission to turn it into an HMO, they said that there would be a bar on the ground floor once complete.

Tbf it looks smart now. Apparently they applied for a licence in March, but I’ve looked through the windows a few times recently and the “bar” area looks tiny and I can’t believe it will ever open as a pub again.

(Apologies if this has been mentioned already!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A depressingly predictable development with the Swan (suspect this will get thrown out and it'll turn into another battle that'll take years)
  • Options
    Anyone know what’s happening with the Antigallican? When it got planning permission to turn it into an HMO, they said that there would be a bar on the ground floor once complete.

Tbf it looks smart now. Apparently they applied for a licence in March, but I’ve looked through the windows a few times recently and the “bar” area looks tiny and I can’t believe it will ever open as a pub again.

It got a licence, pretty much because it's stipulated in the planning permission that the space must remain a public house. However, I guess there's nothing stopping it remaining a *closed* public house.

However, one stipulation in the licence is that it must remain closed whenever Charlton are at home.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

It got a licence, pretty much because it's stipulated in the planning permission that the space must remain a public house. However, I guess there's nothing stopping it remaining a *closed* public house.

However, one stipulation in the licence is that it must remain closed whenever Charlton are at home.

@InspectorSands Excuse my ignorance, but why would one want a pub to close when the football is on. Surely that is prime time to make some cash for the pub. Is there history there? Genuinely interested. I last lived in Woolwich in the 90s so out of touch will local goings on.
  • Options

@InspectorSands Excuse my ignorance, but why would one want a pub to close when the football is on. Surely that is prime time to make some cash for the pub. Is there history there? Genuinely interested. I last lived in Woolwich in the 90s so out of touch will local goings on.
    Probably OB don’t want it as the away pub.
  • Options
    A depressingly predictable development with the Swan (suspect this will get thrown out and it'll turn into another battle that'll take years)
    You have a Co-op and a Costcutter if it's still open, across the road from the White Swan, surely too much retail in a short space?
  • Options
    If only it could be a pub?

That's a pub building with a fabulous period facade.

• Options
    Why is it struggling and the Bugle Horn is still going? Or is the Bugle just about surviving? I don't use these pubs by the way.
  • Options
    The Vanbrugh in Greenwich is back as... the Duke of Greenwich 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CunIU8DsMEr/?hl=es
    Went here with my brother and Fireplace Max last week.
    We each bought a round  - beers only.
    We shared a barbecued 'Beer Can Chicken' and a plate of hummus.
    Bill: £92
    There was a 12.5% service charge...
    You're not a restaurant and unfortunately, you're not much of a pub either. And neither are you in North London or West Greenwich where you might get away with that sort of thing.
    Shame, as I had high hopes, this being my local.
    The Dupe of Greenwich, more like.

• Options
    edited August 2023

Probably OB don’t want it as the away pub.

"Welcome to Charlton away fans. Thanks for travelling but good luck finding somewhere for a beer".
    Or do they go somewhere else now? If not it means those punters are spending money outside of Charlton, and negating part of the reason for the club being there. (Helping other businesses make money). Gets right on my wick.
    Almost like they want the places closed. /Rant over/

And I probably have the wrong end of the stick completely. 🙃