Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Off_it said:
    Paid £4.80 for a pint of Tribute in the Bricklayers Arms, Beckenham yesterday, and very nice it was too. 

Can't remember the last time I bought a pint for under a fiver. 

I imagine The George will be nearer £6 nowadays.  Always liked that boozer and would often pop in on the way home from The Valley.
    £6.05 for a Peroni in The George. Although I've just noticed it was also £6.00 for a Moretti in the Bricklayers.
  • Options
    Plumble is a shit name.

But any new pub opening is good.  We must keep the pubs alive... though shame they shut the Equitable.  I dont understand what happened there? 
  • Options
    The Equitable closed down due to COVID rent arrears.
  • Options
    "Mark O’Brien O’Reilly, a lawyer representing the Metropolitan Police, said: “When you have a large concentration of such premises, the addition of further premises further run a risk of more crime and disorder, and also places greater demand on the resources of the police and also other emergency services, which is what the Metropolitan Police is keen to avoid."

Large concentration of such premises...? There's only one pub left on Plumstead High Street. What would this lawyer have thought when the Plume of Feathers was there as well as The Volunteer. And the Red Lion. The Prince of Orange. The Green Man/Two Worlds. Horse and Groom. The Maybloom. The Rose and Crown.
    Blimey O'Reilly
  • Options
    "Mark O’Brien O’Reilly, a lawyer representing the Metropolitan Police, said: “When you have a large concentration of such premises, the addition of further premises further run a risk of more crime and disorder, and also places greater demand on the resources of the police and also other emergency services, which is what the Metropolitan Police is keen to avoid."

Large concentration of such premises...? There's only one pub left on Plumstead High Street. What would this lawyer have thought when the Plume of Feathers was there as well as The Volunteer. And the Red Lion. The Prince of Orange. The Green Man/Two Worlds. Horse and Groom. The Maybloom. The Rose and Crown.
    "Such premises" will mean anywhere with an alcohol licence, so includes off-licences, restaurants, takeaways, supermarkets, etc - it's a standard objection from the Met's that always used in Woolwich and Plumstead. It's pretty laughable that on one hand London politicians bang on about wanting a late night economy, then their police force does all it can to prevent it from happening.  
  • Options
    The Bull in Woolwich closes tonight. Popping in for a few pints of Guinness, will have to find another pre match pub.
  • Options
    The Bull in Woolwich closes tonight. Popping in for a few pints of Guinness, will have to find another pre match pub.
    I didn't realise we're playing tonight.
  • Options
    Not sure what year it represents, nor whether it captures all of that time but see below a map taken from a social media group of pubs in the Woolwich going into Plumstead area.
    Loads more to the West of that map.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure what year it represents, nor whether it captures all of that time but see below a map taken from a social media group of pubs in the Woolwich going into Plumstead area.

Lord Herbert, Ship, Star, Rose Inn, Ordnance, Melbourne Arms, Fox & Hounds & Elephant & Castle only pubs still in business, i think.
  • Options
    clive said:

Lord Herbert, Ship, Star, Rose Inn, Ordnance, Melbourne Arms, Fox & Hounds & Elephant & Castle only pubs still in business, i think.
    Has the Lord Raglan closed?
    Only ever played darts in there against a very good side but got the impression that the pub had a core of regulars.
  • Options
    clive said:

Only ever played darts in there against a very good side but got the impression that the pub had a core of regulars.
    Yes, it's been closed for a few months, since the former landlord died.
  • Options
    clive said:
    clive said:

Yes, it's been closed for a few months, since the former landlord died.
    Ah right. It was obvious he was suffering health issues for a while.
    He certainly ran a tight ship, even not allowing one of the home dart players play home games because he wasn’t 18 even though he wasn’t trying to get a drink.
    The furnishings were dated but always very clean and there was a lot of CAFC pictures and memorabilia on the walls.
    Will be sad if nobody takes it on.
  • Options
    Used to drink in the Raglan back in the 90s before the landlord moved down to take on The Bull and we went too as they were family friends. The last landlord was running it with his sister, whose daughters went to school with my sister years ago. Only went in a couple of times in those later years, but it never really felt welcoming any more. More recently you just never knew when it was open as they seemed to pick random hours/days to open (I assume this may have been due to his illness, but may be wrong).
  • Options
    Really sad to see The Bull go. The previous landlord had f*cked it up, losing most of its’ character, by taking out the old 2 bar set up and making it one big bar. Did it all himself and didn’t make a great job of it. That said, it had always been a great place for the local Irish community especially. It was good to see word got round and lots of old faces made it to the last night on Friday. 

We’d thought we had til May, but the council told the landlord last Wednesday that he had til Friday before they shut it. It’s a CPO as part of their new leisure centre/residential complex that’s going up.  From what I recall of the plans, the pub building will remain, like the Tramshed, but everything else is being demolished. The pub then becomes some sort of concierge building for the new flats. 
  • Options
    Four pints of Budvar in my local is £26. 
    But I’m never going to visit my local ‘spoons in case you-know-who is lurking in the corner. 😂
  • Options
    The Bull charged £4.30 for a great pint of Guinness. So little choice left in Woolwich/Charlton now and, as a non-Spoons drinker, the cost of our pre-match pints is going to go up quite a bit & highly unlikely to taste better!
  • Options
    Not long left for Hardy’s Freehouse in Greenwich: https://greenwichwire.co.uk/2024/01/17/hardys-freehouse-plans-for-hotel-and-restaurant-to-replace-greenwich-pub-approved/

Popped in last night at 10pm, only three other punters in there. Guinness a steal at £4.50, though.
  • Options
    Not long left for Hardy’s Freehouse in Greenwich: https://greenwichwire.co.uk/2024/01/17/hardys-freehouse-plans-for-hotel-and-restaurant-to-replace-greenwich-pub-approved/

Popped in last night at 10pm, only three other punters in there. Guinness a steal at £4.50, though.
    Do you know when it’s closing, will have to pop in before it goes?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Shame I liked going in there after a swim.
  • Options
    edited January 17

It says in the story - supposed to be end of Feb (which is what they were saying in the pub last night) but the old owner's lease runs out at the end of this month, according to the developer that's bought it.

Sad thing is that they've done a little bit of work behind the bar there and the place looks pretty decent these days - it had been looked really run-down at one point.
  • Options

Shame I liked going in there after a swim.
    that’s half the problem. If you only visit once every 15 years, they just can’t survive.
  • Options
    Isn't it simply in many cases the pubs just don't get used enough to make it worthwhile to run them. Long gone are the days when most blokes popped in for a couple of pints whilst the little lady got the brats to bed and started dinner. Even the 'youth' don't frequent like we once did, it all seems to be pre drinks and then somewhere cheap!

I still can't believe someone bought the baring hotel in Grove Park to run as a pub again, place needs shed loads spent on it and apparently cost close to £800k to buy, difficult to see anyone getting a return there on their investment.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Isn't it simply in many cases the pubs just don't get used enough to make it worthwhile to run them. Long gone are the days when most blokes popped in for a couple of pints whilst the little lady got the brats to bed and started dinner. Even the 'youth' don't frequent like we once did, it all seems to be pre drinks and then somewhere cheap!

I still can't believe someone bought the baring hotel in Grove Park to run as a pub again, place needs shed loads spent on it and apparently cost close to £800k to buy, difficult to see anyone getting a return there on their investment.
    I went in there about 6 years ago, I quite liked it bur there were not too many punters in there.
    I agree entirely with your second paragraph, the location hinders for a start.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Was always a shyte pub……I too will be surprised if it becomes much of a success…..no parking if my memory serves me right?
    Could maybe attract rail passengers after work on their way home for a pint or two…..as The Lord Northbrook at Lee has done.
  • Options
    could always use it as a starting point before heading for Flamingo's after ;) 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Was always a shyte pub……I too will be surprised if it becomes much of a success…..no parking if my memory serves me right?
    Could maybe attract rail passengers after work on their way home for a pint or two…..as The Lord Northbrook at Lee has done.
    More of a Downham Tavern man were you mate? :D
  • Options
    Popped in this place earlier tonight. Was great. Dartboard, pool table, leather armchairs, fire, decent pint of Pride.

A proper traditional boozer!