Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• EastStand said:
    The Lord Clyde was always Millwall so never liked it in there.
    Royal Oak much better.
    But my favourite is The Ship.
    Lots of happy times in there & it’s still great!
    I drank there regularly about 6 years ago (my office was next door) and never saw a single Millwall fan or bit of merch. It was weekdays I was in there though. 
    yeah never knew it as a Millwall pub.
  • EastStand said:
    The Lord Clyde was always Millwall so never liked it in there.
    Royal Oak much better.
    But my favourite is The Ship.
    Lots of happy times in there & it’s still great!
    I drank there regularly about 6 years ago (my office was next door) and never saw a single Millwall fan or bit of merch. It was weekdays I was in there though. 
    That's interesting.
    It was well over 6yrs ago so sounds like it's seen the light 😜
  • The Who'd A Thought It is under threat: https://853.london/2023/04/06/historic-plumstead-pub-faces-demolition-in-plan-for-new-houses/

Suspect it'll be thrown out and this will end up being a protracted battle.
  • edited April 2023
    The Who'd A Thought It is under threat: https://853.london/2023/04/06/historic-plumstead-pub-faces-demolition-in-plan-for-new-houses/

Just saw that - loved the Who'd in the day, lived in Flaxton Road for 3 years so nice and local !
  • edited April 2023
    Meanwhile, Antic have done an Antic in Woolwich - the Equitable has closed because of what they are are Covid rent arrears

https://twitter.com/TheWoolwichPub/status/1643985600851357697

• I still live in Flaxton and used to play for, with @guinnessaddick, and manage the football team in the Who’dy.  Must admit that I’ve only been back in there once in the last 15 odd years. Used to know the landlords and staff really well, but it became a little less welcoming and the interior needed a lot of work (I think they must have lowered the ceiling at some point and it seemed a lot smaller). 
  • TelMc32 said:
    I still live in Flaxton and used to play for, with @guinnessaddick, and manage the football team in the Who’dy.  Must admit that I’ve only been back in there once in the last 15 odd years. Used to know the landlords and staff really well, but it became a little less welcoming and the interior needed a lot of work (I think they must have lowered the ceiling at some point and it seemed a lot smaller). 
    I'm not often around that way but I walked past it a few days ago and it looked really unwelcoming. It's as if a developer bought it with the active aim of running the place down.
  • TelMc32 said:
    I still live in Flaxton and used to play for, with @guinnessaddick, and manage the football team in the Who’dy.  Must admit that I’ve only been back in there once in the last 15 odd years. Used to know the landlords and staff really well, but it became a little less welcoming and the interior needed a lot of work (I think they must have lowered the ceiling at some point and it seemed a lot smaller). 
    I'm not often around that way but I walked past it a few days ago and it looked really unwelcoming. It's as if a developer bought it with the active aim of running the place down.
    There’s a fair bit of land attached to it.
  • TelMc32 said:
    As with The White Swan, that seems to be the modus operandi of these developers. 
  • edited April 2023
    The Who'd A Thought It is under threat: https://853.london/2023/04/06/historic-plumstead-pub-faces-demolition-in-plan-for-new-houses/

Spent many a drunken night in there in around 1975-85 when I lived in Swingate Lane - not been in there since then.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Spent many a drunken night in there in around 1975-85 when I lived in Swingate Lane - not been in there since then.
    A few years before my time going in there Bob, but a fellow drinker around that time was probably my dad! 
  • bobmunro said:

You must remember when it had three bars & then converted into one bar,Terry & Pam followed by Jim & Brenda were the guvnors in that period.
  • edited April 2023
    clive said:
    bobmunro said:

You must remember when it had three bars & then converted into one bar,Terry & Pam followed by Jim & Brenda were the guvnors in that period.

I certainly remember more than one bar and usually went to the right hand side as you entered. I can recall Terry and Pam, and I think I can remember Jim.

There was one particular infamous night around July 1974 when I was at the end of the lower sixth and the upper sixth who had just left the Poly had their leaving do in there. I was just 17 and became very, very drunk - although it didn't take much at that age!
  • The Who’d was my pre match drinking venue in the mid 80’s. My dad would drink there on a Saturday morning, so I’d go and have few with him, and then jump on a 53 to the game. 
  • I detest this change of use massively, especially with the sudden allowance of micro pubs.
    Every pre 1960 should have a preservation stamp put on it.
    If this means diminishing the footprint, so be it.
    It should however, still remain a pub.

• I know it’s linked on the White Swan thread but needs putting on here. Please fill out. We need the Swan back for match days.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1kmk-QqL-ptye3sVLJDrYRwCPAtbJA57yf2BzDrLg6Dk/viewform?edit_requested=true
  • Curb_It said:
    I know it’s linked on the White Swan thread but needs putting on here. Please fill out. We need the Swan back for match days.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1kmk-QqL-ptye3sVLJDrYRwCPAtbJA57yf2BzDrLg6Dk/viewform?edit_requested=true
    That’s great, I didn’t realise there was an initiative to save it. Really hope they succeed. 
  • TelMc32 said:
    Used to have some mighty battles when my Bostall Forest team played you in the early eighties.
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    White Hart in Eltham currently being refurbed after (rumour has it) new owners turning it into a sports bar.
    Greyhound in Eltham also planned to reopen as a pub and also the Bankers Draft going to remain as a pub after weatherspoons include it as one for closure.
    good news if the greyhound is gonna be a pub again - ridiculous that they converted banks and post offices into pubs in Eltham and turned the best pub into an indian restaraunt and then closed it to sit dormant for years - should have a preservation order put on it 

It is Listed Grade II

Listed building details:
    Early C18 house of 2 storeys and sunk basement, 5 windows. Earlier internal features, some of which may be part of an earlier building on the site, or they may be imports. High pitched roof, renewed in machine tiles, with 4 C19 flat dormers. Painted brick walls with parapet. 1st floor band. Brick plinth. Gauged, flat brick arches to sash windows with glazing bars in flush moulded frames (some sashes replaced). May once have been 3 dwellings, as there are 3 doorways with cornice hoods on heavy, carved, scrolled brackets, resting on reeded pilasters. Only the riglt one in external use, with modern ½-glazed door. The others boxed in by panelled pent extension. Weatherboarded gables at back. Wrought iron area railings in Gothic pattern. Inside, in hall a C15 stone fireplace, with Tudor arch and carved spandrels. C17 Dutch tiles inside. The fireplace said to come from Eltham Palace.

• The Millers in Bexley Village has reopened, or is about to at least. 
    All aboard!
  • Any news on the Swan yet?
    Rubber up 
  • The Foresters Arms in Wickham lane Plumstead closed last weekend and now boarded up. There’s already planning permission for flats to be built in the car park. Was a pub I would pop into at lunchtime during the last few years at school, couldn’t go to the Alma in Kings Highway as it was the choice of pub by the teachers.
    Sad to hear this. Was the first local pub I could get in boozing as a 14yr old and drunk there a lot in the 90s. Micky Kingwell (the governor then) was a top bloke and opened early for about 20 of us on the morning of the return to The Valley in 1992. 
    Reopened last week in Feb. Great to see 
    Reopened last week in Feb. Great to see 
    Are the old bangers still going in?