Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Beckham announces retirement

Comments

• Options
    I dont doubt that they will always be great players regardless of era i just doubt the validity of the argument given by those who say yeah but he is no

Pele
    Marradonna
    Puskas
    Cryuff
    Best
    Moore

As in different eras different things made you succesful and influential

Just enjoy who you have when you have them and becks bought pure joy to me
  • Options
    No Matthews?
  • Options
    Good player who made the most of his abilities and looks. I would wish him well, but I doubt he needs it. I wonder what his plans are for the future.
  • Options
    Mind you all the Brand Beckham was a bit OTT...
  • Options
    What gets me is the glory he is living on over the free kick against the Greeks.
    People forget he had a shocker of a game, drifting out of position, hogging the ball and pretty much wasting it through the majority of the match. He was the prime culprit as to why we needed the desperation free kick at the end.
  • Options

What gets me is the glory he is living on over the free kick against the Greeks.
    People forget he had a shocker of a game, drifting out of position, hogging the ball and pretty much wasting it through the majority of the match. He was the prime culprit as to why we needed the desperation free kick at the end.

Please go back and watch that game.
  • Options
    Posting without reading. But I'm 35 years old and feel David beckham is one of the very few people that we can describe as a 'legend'. He has been the ultimate role model for kids, and I can remember as yesterday the game against Greece when he single handedly got us into the World Cup. That game sums him up for me, he gave everything, all of the time for his country and the same can't be said for the current crop of sh*te..
  • Options

Is this a joke?
  • Options

cafctom said:

"To this day, one of my proudest achievements is captaining my country. I knew every time I wore the Three Lions shirt, I was not only following in a long line of great players, I was also representing every fan that cared passionately about their country. I'm honoured to represent England both on and off the pitch."

The great thing about that quote is that you know he absolutely means every single word.

Do you honestly think he wrote that. LOL
    Yes
  • Options
    Some very strange comments, think Beckham has had an amazing career, successful abroad, at home, a legendary England captain and a thoroughly top professional. Can't think of anything negative to say about him. Will probably end up as UN ambassador or something.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't think of anything negative to say about him.

Well there was the sarong wearing incident....
  • Options
    So much man love for becks.

Absolute legend.
  • Options

Can't think of anything negative to say about him.

Well there was the sarong wearing incident....

His wife's a miserable, skinny bint?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm not a Beckham fan and have always considered him overrated. Good but never world class.

However, you have got to have respect for him. I can't think of one other Englishman who's played in as many countries. Too many here are scared or aren't open minded enough to try out Italy, Spain or wherever. Then if they do they'll come back with their tail between their legs. So fair play to him, and as the Guardian pointed out earlier he was always happy to fly back from the US just to warm the bench for England. I don't follow England but that is commendable.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I'm not a Beckham fan and have always considered him overrated. Good but never world class.

However, you have got to have respect for him. I can't think of one other Englishman who's played in as many countries. Too many here are scared or aren't open minded enough to try out Italy, Spain or wherever. Then if they do they'll come back with their tail between their legs. So fair play to him, and as the Guardian pointed out earlier he was always happy to fly back from the US just to warm the bench for England. I don't follow England but that is commendable.

I'm not in the he was World class camp either - there were several flaws in his game, notably an inability to tackle, mark or track back and in defence he was a liability. So much so that that Gary Neville never used to venture past the half-way line for fear of being caught out of position with only DB to cover for him. That often unbalanced the whole right side of England's attack.

But when it came to shooting, crossing, taking free kicks or just giving a shit he was in a different class.

• Options
    If David Beckham is a legend then we really need to look at ourselves rather than insult him.

• Options
    Beckham is the best crosser of the ball I have seen in an England shirt , Charltons equivalent of Danny Green.
  • Options
    Possibly the most overrated footballer ever, a good player turned great by the team he had around him.

Quality guy off the field I'm sure, but that counts for nothing on the pitch.
  • Options
    JT said:

Yep, anyone in the world could cross the ball like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW759yrHcms

That's unreal.
  • Options
    Superstar. Hero. Legend. Total professional.
    I have nothing but admiration for the man and hope he is knighted very soon.
    I hope the FA learn from the mistake they made by not using Bobby Moore's popularity to help them by getting Beckham on board ASAP. He's already proved what a wonderful ambassador he is with his widely recognised role in our successful 2012 bid.
    There are very, very few modern footballers that have my respect but David Beckham is top of the list that do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Some of the stuff on here is embarrassingly over-the-top, Beckham was a very, very good footballer but not in the top-tier of modern world class footballers such as Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Pirlo, Xavi/Iniesta etc.

He was an exceptional crosser of a ball and brilliant from dead ball situations but his lack of pace and failure to really become a Hoddle-like play-maker from the middle of the park really stopped him getting into that top category.

Personally, I don't feel Beckham's international appearances for England in major tournaments were anywhere near as good as Paul Gascoigne's in 1990 and 1996 where Gazza went toe-to-toe with the best players in the planet and prospered.

Its actually quite interesting that people highlight his best game for England as being that home game against Greece where he helped us salvage a 2-2 draw - that's a home game against Greece, not Germany.

Don't doubt that he is a lovely guy and so on but as a footballer I think he would definitely be in the 'very good' category rather than the 'great' one, perhaps the passage of time might help provide better perspective.

That's Beckham, Owen and Scholes all retired in the last week - three of the Golden Generation drift into the sunset.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Would have been world class with pace.

Are you insinuating Beckham was not World Class? Not many players who are not world class at some point in their career play for Real Madrid and Manchester United.

As for influential I grew up wanting to play like Beckham, my friends wanted to be like Beckham. Everyone I knew after that Greece game idolised him for his class, his effort and a touch of bromance!

He was easily the best right mid I have ever seen in an England shirt.
  • Options

Stonewall I will take your advice - and I am grateful I had an opportunity to see a bloke who represented his club, country with pride dignity, and proud. Don't know why Im bothering replying cos you have been clearly trying to aggrivate since early afternoon...i....But I have bit - so will carry on..........You have your opinion - well I have mine.....and what I love about good old England is only us can we find people ready to knock the successful, the achievers, the popular....and find a fault with people who succeed......you cant button it - so I will not either.......David Beckham in my generation is a legend - and for me he will fight and defend and support his country whatever - his marketing brand aint got nothing to do with it - he is/was proud to be English and represent his country - and you saw that on the pitch......Some may not see it that way - but I do and I think the game will be a sadder place that they have lost a true professional on the pitch........Rant over....

I'm not trying to annoy with intention. I'm not à troll.
  • Options
    From an American perspective, this is a big deal. ESPN devoted quite a lot of coverage to him this afternoon when the story broke.

A lot of media here and abroad may scoff at the effect he had on MLS, but the bottom line is that attendance grew (there was a spike in the beginning, of course, but numbers eventually settled down and have been going up gradually) and interest has grown in the five years he was here. Granted, it's still not as high as MLS would like, but the league is surely in a better place because of his time in LA.

I highly recommend reading Grant Wahl's The Beckham Experiment, about the first few years in LA. After reading that, you'll be amazed that the Galaxy were able to win two titles in five seasons. Plus, he reportedly has an option to buy an expansion team (his management denied it, but Wahl mentions it in the book), so he may not be done in North America.
  • Options

Some of the stuff on here is embarrassingly over-the-top, Beckham was a very, very good footballer but not in the top-tier of modern world class footballers such as Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Pirlo, Xavi/Iniesta etc.

He was an exceptional crosser of a ball and brilliant from dead ball situations but his lack of pace and failure to really become a Hoddle-like play-maker from the middle of the park really stopped him getting into that top category.

Personally, I don't feel Beckham's international appearances for England in major tournaments were anywhere near as good as Paul Gascoigne's in 1990 and 1996 where Gazza went toe-to-toe with the best players in the planet and prospered.

Its actually quite interesting that people highlight his best game for England as being that home game against Greece where he helped us salvage a 2-2 draw - that's a home game against Greece, not Germany.

Don't doubt that he is a lovely guy and so on but as a footballer I think he would definitely be in the 'very good' category rather than the 'great' one, perhaps the passage of time might help provide better perspective.

That's Beckham, Owen and Scholes all retired in the last week - three of the Golden Generation drift into the sunset.

Spot on.
  • Options
    Not only has he played in the top English, Italian and Spanish leagues, he's won trophies at each of them. You don't do that by being a mediocre player with good publicity, you do that by being a damn good player. People can point out his limitations, and rightly so, for he had a few, but the fact he achieved as much as he did with such widely noted weaknesses shows how hard he worked to make the most of what he's got.

In terms of talent, there are better players in the world, maybe even there are better English players in terms of sheer ability across the board. But to me, not one of them epitomises what a footballer playing for England should be more than Beckham did.
  • Options

The Greece game is one of the best performances ive seen from a footballer. He basically played by himself that day.

This...he virtually carried england to the WC that day, awesome performance

Fantastic player and seems like a nice bloke
    One of my top football moments. Watched that game on a lads holiday in a heaving Linekers bar in Tenerife and the place went absolutely mental when he stuck that free kick away! Immense performance in that game.

Puts a lot of today's England players to shame!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Not only has he played in the top English, Italian and Spanish leagues, he's won trophies at each of them. You don't do that by being a mediocre player with good publicity, you do that by being a damn good player. People can point out his limitations, and rightly so, for he had a few, but the fact he achieved as much as he did with such widely noted weaknesses shows how hard he worked to make the most of what he's got.

In terms of talent, there are better players in the world, maybe even there are better English players in terms of sheer ability across the board. But to me, not one of them epitomises what a footballer playing for England should be more than Beckham did.

Spot on that,
  • Options
    I like him and I wish him well. When he was young he used to get loads of stick, people making out he was a thicko; he's clearly proved that he's anything but. Great footballer on the pitch, likeable bloke off of it.