Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Star Wars

Borrowed me mates sons box set to watch, but the first one stopped half way through so I'm just about to watch the second. Am I right in saying that Anakin Skywalker is the on who turns out to be Darth Vader?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, that kid has a mean streak to him!
  • Options

Yes, that kid has a mean streak to him!

Nasty little bugger!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    U need to watch disk 4-6 first then you will understand what a pile of over produced cgi, poorly written-scripted/cast/acted pap the 'first 3' are, also avoid redux versions :)
  • Options
    razil said:

U need to watch disk 4-6 first then you will understand what a pile of over produced cgi, poorly written-scripted/cast/acted pap the 'first 3' are, also avoid redux versions :)

20 minutes into the 2nd and its more like a pissing love story. Might just watch the original 3 and move onto Taken 2.
  • Options
    Yeah the original three are amazing, the "new" three are pretty poor.
  • Options
    The originals are class
  • Options
    The originals are fantastic. The "new" ones are completely devoid of any emotional attachment to any character. I knew some characters would obviously not die and others would, it's still of course possible for the filmmaker to still create a lasting bond with the characters but for those 3 I really couldn't give a monkeys. Also the cgi in every single shot nonesense is depressing. Cgi does not age well whilst dummies and prosthetics age much better in my opinion.
  • Options
    The funny thing about the new 3 films is that actually Darth Vader is a more likeable character than Anakin. Having said that they do certainly have a few good bits.
  • Options

The originals are fantastic. The "new" ones are completely devoid of any emotional attachment to any character. I knew some characters would obviously not die and others would, it's still of course possible for the filmmaker to still create a lasting bond with the characters but for those 3 I really couldn't give a monkeys. Also the cgi in every single shot nonesense is depressing. Cgi does not age well whilst dummies and prosthetics age much better in my opinion.

The cgi in the original Jurassic Park is now 21 years old and I think is still remarkable. I very much doubt a dummy dinosaur would by now be anything other than laughable.

• Options

The cgi in the original Jurassic Park is now 21 years old and I think is still remarkable. I very much doubt a dummy dinosaur would by now be anything other than laughable.

A lot of the dinosaurs (The T rex as especially) was actually an animatronic. The CGI was used to enhance the dinosaur in close ups. The wide shots are obviously CGI though. In the new star wars they built CGI creatures and sets from the ground up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is much (too much) discussion on the order to watch the films, the received wisdom is 4, 5, 2, 3, 6

This keeps all the surprises and twists pretty much in place. 2 and 3 act as an extended flash back after we learn Vader is Luke's father.

Nothing or worth is lost by skipping number 1.
  • Options
    The new three aren't awful but one of them really drags with long sections of slow monotone dialogue.
  • Options
    Always thought all of them were shit. Appear to be in a minority of about one in that regard though.
  • Options
    Fantastic! We now have our own Nerd thread.
  • Options

Fantastic! We now have our own Nerd thread.

In fact we now have a nerd and a turd thread

• Options
    edited May 2013

Always thought all of them were shit. Appear to be in a minority of about one in that regard though.

All six of them are movies for 12 year olds imo. 1 to 3 are just excruciatingly dull. 4 to 6 are watchable and have a few good bits but they are no where near as good as their reputation suggests imho.

• Options
    The originals are my childhood memories. 1980 child, wish my mum never sold all my Star Wars toys for a tenner at a bloody boot sale!
  • Options

You're not alone. I never saw any of the first three until the mid nineties. My mate had the remastered box set (I think the Jabba the Hutt scene was redone with CGI?), so I watched them and, I have to say, I was just a bit bored by it all.
    I saw the first of the new ones and thought it was dreadful, but I've never seen numbers 2 and 3. Just not bothered enough.
  • Options
    Only ever seen the original film, Star Wars, I think they call it Episode IV A New Hope now. Loved it, saw it 3 times at the cinema within 2 weeks of it being released. Works as a stand alone film and I don't feel I've missed out on anything by not seeing any of the other five.
  • Options
    Loved the original trilogy as a kid and can still watch them now quite happily. The prequels on the other hand are utter crap and I'm amazed Lucas didn't have the likes of McGregor, Jackson and Portman, all good actors, walking out after the first film with complaints over the quality of the script.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never ever watched one, I have tried, but as soon it starts thats me reaching for the remote!
  • Options
    Grew up with the first 3 as a kid , loved them , when the new ones came out went to see them thought they were pants , script and wooden acting wise.

Enjoyed them more watching them in sequential order on Blu ray a lot more than when i saw them at the cinema , which i didn't think i was going to, whether i was a lot more tolerant 2nd time round because i was watching them with my kids i don't know , what the future ones hold and whether they'll be much cop i don't know , depends if the scripts up to much.
  • Options

All six of them are movies for 12 year olds imo. 1 to 3 are just excruciatingly dull. 4 to 6 are watchable and have a few good bits but they are no where near as good as their reputation suggests imho.

I thought they were meant to be for youngster?