Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wenger's Achievements

Apparently since Arsenal bought the Emirates his transfer deficit was approx 9m. In that time Arsenal have just paid for their stadium in full. Spurs now have to contemplate taking them on with all the problems that go with funding for a new ground. Brilliant manager and now I feel they are going to show Spurs their heels again. Cannot understand these gooners that wanted him out mindblowing. Dowie lost that amount in two months.

Comments

• Options
    No trophies in 10 years. That has to be a massive under-performance for a club the size of Arsenal. They never look like winning anything. Perhaps he should be rewarded for financial prudence by demoting him to the much lesser paid job of Business or Finance Manager??!!
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

No trophies in 10 years. That has to be a massive under-performance for a club the size of Arsenal. They never look like winning anything. Perhaps he should be rewarded for financial prudence by demoting him to the much lesser paid job of Business or Finance Manager??!!

Fair comment, I do not Arsenal were not prepared to give him a big transfer budget though. It will be interesting to see how he will spend his not inconsiderable funds next season.

• Options
    Did you know that 91 out of 92 clubs have changed their manager since Wenger last won a trophy
  • Options
    pettgra said:

meldrew66 said:

Fair comment, I think Arsenal were not prepared to give him a big transfer budget though. It will be interesting to see how he will spend his not inconsiderable funds next season.

Did you know that 91 out of 92 clubs have changed their manager since Wenger last won a trophy

I didn't to be honest. I do not know if that is a negative or positive though.

• Options
    Fans would rather see their club lodging at a ground and a bit of silverwear in the cabinet than the other way round. Don't get Wenger at all meself
  • Options
    I think Wenger has been slightly unfortunate in that during the time of changing from Highbury to Emirates and paying everything off, two other clubs in England have received huge investment.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Come off it Big Rob. I want to win a cup or something more than anything but there's no way in the world I'd lodge at Selhurst again as a trade off. And we're a club that has only won 1 trophy in our history. I can't see Arsenal fans saying they'd be happy to go and lodge at Spurs every week just so they can get another FA cup in the cabinet.

You can say "a club of Arsenal's size" should have won more as much as you want but the same could be said of clubs like Leeds etc. Just cos you are intrinsically a big club with support and history etc, don't mean a manager should be able to win trophies just like that. When Arsenal were successful earlier in his era and under Graham, they weren't having to flog their best players every season to their main rivals. He should've won more trophies but he's still done a cracking job.
  • Options

I think Wenger has been slightly unfortunate in that during the time of changing from Highbury to Emirates and paying everything off, two other clubs in England have received huge investment.

Correct answer, and, more to the point, those clubs have owners who are prepared to lose £100 million per season in pursuing success.

When you then also consider Man Utd's financial power - and huge debts - it makes Wenger's "success" even more remarkable.
  • Options
    Yep, done really bad. 16th year on the spin that they have got to a Champions league place.
    Only 2 things are worth winning, or so it seems, today; Premier league and or Champions league places. The other 2 domestic cups and 1 European cups are for the others.
    Also the football Arsenal play is and has been over the year some of the best your see anywhere.
    I don't buy into this idea that Arsenal supporters want Wenger out, maybe this is true on Talksport but thats the station that rekoned we all wanted Curbs out.
    Well run club IMO.
  • Options

Correct answer, and, more to the point, those clubs have owners who are prepared to lose £100 million per season in pursuing success.

When you then also consider Man Utd's financial power - and huge debts - it makes Wenger's "success" even more remarkable.
    How did Wigan/Swansea/Portsmouth/Birmingham All manage it then ?

I think Wenger is a very shrewd manager and I agree that pushing for the Champions League/Prem whilst paying off the stadium was almost impossible but I really think he's missed a trick by not committing a bit more to the domestic cups - if they'd won a few of those over the last seven years no one would be questioning him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pettgra said:

Apparently since Arsenal bought the Emirates his transfer deficit was approx 9m. In that time Arsenal have just paid for their stadium in full. Spurs now have to contemplate taking them on with all the problems that go with funding for a new ground. Brilliant manager and now I feel they are going to show Spurs their heels again. Cannot understand these gooners that wanted him out mindblowing. Dowie lost that amount in two months.

As much as I hate him as a man, Wenger has done a brilliant job over the last few years, no question. Time and time again, they look like they've hit the skids and they come back even stronger. Fair play to them.

Granted, Ars*nal arent cursed like Tottenham are...

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

pettgra said:

As much as I hate him as a man, Wenger has done a brilliant job over the last few years, no question. Time and time again, they look like they've hit the skids and they come back even stronger. Fair play to them.

Haha, "cursed", you don't even know you're born !
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Ludicrous.
    Arsenal's celebrations in the changing room for finishing 4th show you just how the wheels are starting to fall off. Their youth academy isn't producing proper players as it used to, and that coupled with the fact that Spurs have some very good youngster's coming through.

Spurs on the other hand won't move for another 2-3 seasons, so won't have to worry about losses on a new stadium until then.

There's one factor seperating arsenal and spurs and that's a goalscorer.
    That spurs squad is one striker short of doing something decent.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

JohnBoyUK said:

pettgra said:

Haha, "cursed", you don't even know you're born !
    When I say cursed, let me clarify. In terms of luck. Ars*nal seem to get loads, Spurs get none. Lasagnegate, getting 4th and then Chelsea winning the CL against all the odds, the amount of dodgy pens Ars*nal seem to get in comparison to us, that sort of thing. No complaints about how our club is run. We're overachieving for our income streams compared to Ars*nal and the likes of United, City and Chelsea. It will be even harder next year as I expect the scousers to throw even more money at it.
    Jarman said:

pettgra said:

Ludicrous.
    Arsenal's celebrations in the changing room for finishing 4th show you just how the wheels are starting to fall off. Their youth academy isn't producing proper players as it used to, and that coupled with the fact that Spurs have some very good youngster's coming through.

Spurs on the other hand won't move for another 2-3 seasons, so won't have to worry about losses on a new stadium until then.

You're pretty much spot on there, thats how I see it. Once we get Kaboul and Sandro back and we can actually play our 1st choice XI (something we wasnt once able to do last season), then we'll be better, even if we dont bring in reinforcements up front, something which we so desperately need.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Jarman said:

pettgra said:

Ludicrous.

Although completely over the top, the celebrations in the changing room were more a rub it in the face of people claiming the Arsenal players were in disaray and that Wenger had lost the changing room. Didnt Spurs celebrate in a similar fashion away to Man City when they won 1-0 the other season?

Since Spurs beat them 2-1 in March their form has been outstanding!

Now they have another season of CL revenue ahead, the ability to attract players, and i would imagine Wenger is now hoping he has a big wad of cash to go out and get in some very good players (linked to a couple of Dortmund players already)

Theres no doubt that Spurs need a striker but when Bale waves goodbye in the next 12 months, they will need another couple of top players to replace him, and they are difficult to attract when your playing Europa League football. And we all know how tight Levy is.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

pettgra said:

Ludicrous.

Well if Arsenal get the striker they badly need as well, we will see. I agree there is hardly anything between them at the moment. All I was trying to say that at some stage when Spurs move, lets see how they cope with that situation as Wenger has had to.

• Options
    The first of the European managers to make a big impression in England. He brought in ideas about diet, training and medical care that have been copied throughout the English game as well as winning a trophy or two. He discovered and nurtured great talents: Anelka, Henry, Vieira amongst others. If/when he goes, like Ferguson, he will be a hard act to follow.
  • Options
    the arsenal hierarchy don't wanna spend big dough because they keep refusing Usmanovs dough , he wants to spend big time
  • Options
    If Arsenal chose this ore-season to push on from stability and invest in the team they could become a major title challenger for years to come thanks to the added revenue the Emirates brings in.

Just about whether the board are happy to take some losses to gain success on the pitch.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

How did Wigan/Swansea/Portsmouth/Birmingham All manage it then ?

I think Wenger is a very shrewd manager and I agree that pushing for the Champions League/Prem whilst paying off the stadium was almost impossible but I really think he's missed a trick by not committing a bit more to the domestic cups - if they'd won a few of those over the last seven years no one would be questioning him.
    The clubs you mention all won Cups, two the FAC and the other two the LC, that is a million miles away from qualifying for the Champions League for 16 straight seasons.

Over the last 5-6 years Wenger has had to get into a top four despite his best players being sold every season and despite the fact that his own budget is well below that of Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and not much above that of Spurs - and he does it every time.

As things turn out the arrival of FFP regulations will work perfectly for Arsenal - because Wenger has not allowed them to get hooked on the quick fix of fast money, he has built for the longer term.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only reason he 'has' to sell his players is because they all want to leave and thats his & the boards fault for thinking they could get away with replacing there legends on the cheap.

They wont be selling many more top players because they dont really have any left. If Stan and Wenger are willing to grow a pair and try bring in some proper talent then they could be back on the up very soon. Its about time they stopped buying Giroud's and Koscielny's.
  • Options
    MattD said:

The only reason he 'has' to sell his players is because they all want to leave and thats his & the boards fault for thinking they could get away with replacing there legends on the cheap.

They wont be selling many more top players because they dont really have any left. If Stan and Wenger are willing to grow a pair and try bring in some proper talent then they could be back on the up very soon. Its about time they stopped buying Giroud's and Koscielny's.

But where do his best players go to? Clubs that have horrendous debt or are being funded by Oligarchs or Arabs.

Wenger will not pay crazy wages because he knows they are unsustainable in the long term.
  • Options

MattD said:

But where do his best players go to? Clubs that have horrendous debt or are being funded by Oligarchs or Arabs.

Wenger will not pay crazy wages because he knows they are unsustainable in the long term.
    = Empty trophy cabinet
  • Options
    Wenger has won NOTHING in eight years and qualifying for the Champions League is not actually winning anything even though in his desperation he celebrates it
    as though it is. He'll never win that either.

No mettle, no backbone. A mean spirited, embittered old spinster.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

MattD said:

= Empty trophy cabinet
    = A club that doesn't need a billionaire owner to survive - and who could fuck off at any minute once he is bored - and a club which can easily compete under FFP rules.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Wenger has won NOTHING in eight years and qualifying for the Champions League is not actually winning anything even though in his desperation he celebrates it

Among tough competition this could easily be the most ridiculous post ever on here.

No mettle or backbone, eh? Please enlighten us all on the sparkling successes you have enjoyed in your life that enable you to cast such aspersions on a man like Arsene Wenger.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

MattD said:

= Empty trophy cabinet
    = A club that doesn't need a billionaire owner to survive - and who could fuck off at any minute once he is bored - and a club which can easily compete under FFP rules.
    = Fans with the hump

I'm not saying its right or that I agree with it, but in the fickle world of football, thats how it works imo.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Agree with this I'm affraid.....

; )
  • Options
    Look at the only teams with any chance of winning anything in the Prem Man U, Man C and Chelsea. Only one of those have earned the right to be there, the others have paid to be there. Like it or not, it's how it is.....
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

MattD said:

= Empty trophy cabinet
    = Fans with the hump

I'm not saying its right or that I agree with it, but in the fickle world of football, thats how it works imo.
    Well, you're right about the fans having the hump!