Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wenger's Achievements

13»

Comments

• Options
    Really interesting thread generating a lot of interesting debate. No, it's not a 'Wenger love in', it's football fans voicing an opinion, and those who are well read, recognising the positive impact Wenger has had in influencing English football.

Despite his arrogance, intransigence and faults, he is one of the only truly great managers serving in the Premier League (the other one has just retired). Not only did he transform Arsenal as a club, Wenger was the first modern football manager in the English game. It was Wenger who introduced the importance of diet and physical conditioning that today’s footballers accept as the norm and take for granted. Top clubs then followed that lead, including Man Utd and it is now standard practice throughout the professional game in this country.

Maybe his time is coming to an end, who knows? But like him or loathe him/his club, he has presided over a team that has played the best football that I have ever witnessed an 'English' football team produce since I started attending matches in the 70s.
  • Options
    Big summer this year if they spend, which they appear to be willing to do. 4th won't be good enough then.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    uncle said:

I don't like him and don't feel the need to show him some respect! For what? Winning nothing in 8 years, never seeing any fault in his own players but see's everything else. No thanks, I will save my respect for someone that deserves it. As for him just needing a striker and they will win something, didn't they have RVP the season before last? And if i'm not mistaken they won sod all. Or is he not a good enough forward, also their football isn't that attractive anymore, spurs is much nicer to watch. It's not knee jerk to think every dog as its day.......... Sadly Mr Wengers had his.

Very harsh and blinkered view IMHO. Wenger has single handedly kept Arsenal a Champions League team whilst having an ethos of playing attractive football and what's more to the point by not putting his club into financial ruin. He has balanced the books more than any other premier league manager and still had success. I would be very interested to see what his player purchases and sales balance sheet is.

• Options
    I'm always confused about what people expect Arsene to do. If he goes off on one criticising the owners for not giving him enough money he gets accused of being a moaner like Harry Redknapp. If he knocks his weaker players for not playing well he gets blamed for that like Pardew. If he rants about a decision the ref made instead of claiming not to have seen it he gets accused of trying to influence refs and being a bad sport like Ferguson. Maybe his signings haven't been the best and he could have been a bit less stubborn in recent years but the way he's protected Arsenal during their transition from top team to wounded animal shielding themselves off the back of building an expensive new stadium is incredible. He's refused to shift the blame onto anyone else involved with the club and as a result of that he's taken a lot of the blame on himself. I don't think he's the best manager around and he makes an increasing number of mistakes in matches but I have a lot of respect for the job he's done deflecting most of what's been flung Arsenal's way. I think his last 8 years at the helm will be appreciated more in hindsight once he's gone
  • Options

Really interesting thread generating a lot of interesting debate. No, it's not a 'Wenger love in', it's football fans voicing an opinion, and those who are well read, recognising the positive impact Wenger has had in influencing English football.

Despite his arrogance, intransigence and faults, he is one of the only truly great managers serving in the Premier League (the other one has just retired). Not only did he transform Arsenal as a club, Wenger was the first modern football manager in the English game. It was Wenger who introduced the importance of diet and physical conditioning that today’s footballers accept as the norm and take for granted. Top clubs then followed that lead, including Man Utd and it is now standard practice throughout the professional game in this country.

Maybe his time is coming to an end, who knows? But like him or loathe him/his club, he has presided over a team that has played the best football that I have ever witnessed an 'English' football team produce since I started attending matches in the 70s.

Excellent post
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with top 4 finish for 16 years running in my book...Leeds started to fall over the year they finished 5th; Liverpool - will they ever be top 4 again? Since Arsenal stopped actually winning things, Chelski and Man City have been throwing money at trophies...

So what did West Ham win apart from the occasional relegation (and of course the World Cup!)?

If we can copy Arsenal and sell high / buy cheap then that's OK for me
  • Options
    The last few years arsenal have been a joy to watch with some of the best attacking/flair football played in this country
    Not bothered about what they have won but I know if arsenal(maybe not so much last season) were on the box a few years back it was a sheer pleasure to watch some of the free flowing footy they produced
  • Options
    Erm am I in the right place? I was looking for the Charlton board.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Their transfer window has been a bit of a joke...losing both Higuain and Gustavo over a few extra £ms (which Arsenal clearly have).
  • Options
    Signed
  • Options
    Loco said:

Yeah your bad @Loco, this is the Other Football and Sports section pal
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    BIG_ROB said:

Loco said:

Yeah your bad @Loco, this is the Other Football and Sports section pal
    Have you been sectioned OMG
  • Options
    they were never going to get those 2 players same as Suarez all shite talk from wenger ,

The professor of football ??

No the coward of football, unable to spend money in case he fails to win anything and it shows him up as the fraud he is