Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Brown leaves Dover

Dover Athletic’s first-team coach Steve Brown has left the club after his contract was cancelled by mutual consent.

Brown joined the club and became assistant manager to Nicky Forster in September 2011. He stayed on after Forster’s departure at the end of January when Chris Kinnear took over, bringing his Margate assistant Jake Leberl with him.

A statement on the club’s website said: “The club would like to thank Steve for his work over the past two years and wish him all the best.”

A former defender, Brown made 242 appearances and scored nine goals for Charlton Athetlic from 1990 until 2002, when he joined Reading, playing a further 40 games until retiring in 2005.

Source: www.kentnews.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    Wonder if Brown and Foster might be in contention for the Ebbsfleet vacancy.

• Options
    Hope he gets a good post soon. Top man, Brownie - he gave his all playing for us. And he talks good sense when assisting commentaries on Radio London.
  • Options
    The Brighton job is up for grabs..........
  • Options
    How's he ended up at that level?! Thought he was quite highly-rated when he was coaching West HAm's reserves a few years back.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Possibly. I noticed that Peter Varney recently added Brown as a Linkedin contact
  • Options
    Badger said:

Worth a tenner
  • Options
    Never let u down.
  • Options

Badger said:

Possibly. I noticed that Peter Varney recently added Brown as a Linkedin contact
    Nice idea, but I don't think PV and Brownie would need to use Linkedin to communicate.

Steve's a top bloke and deserves better luck than he's had in the game since he retired.
  • Options

Badger said:

Nice idea, but I don't think PV and Brownie would need to use Linkedin to communicate.

Steve's a top bloke and deserves better luck than he's had in the game since he retired.
    Agree with you entirely, Airman. Brownie was a top player for us, and talks a lot of sense on the radio. He deserves a good job in the game.

• Options
    For a few seasons, I've still harboured hopes of him coming home and joining our backroom staff, but (as I'm a generous chap) I'll let CP pick his own team..................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe one of his ex-clubs will soon be looking for a manager ?
  • Options
    Steve Brown, top bloke. Whether that makes him a top coach as well is harder to say. And there are an awful lot of people out there looking for coaching and managerial positions.
  • Options

Maybe one of his ex-clubs will soon be looking for a manager ?

Brighton, Reading, Charlton
  • Options
    Put your house on Browny being manager
  • Options
    Manager of who?
  • Options

Steve Brown, top bloke. Whether that makes him a top coach as well is harder to say. And there are an awful lot of people out there looking for coaching and managerial positions.

He had a good reputation at Brighton where he was in charge of the youth team - a decent number of trainees at that level made it through to becoming full time professionals.

• Options

He had a good reputation at Brighton where he was in charge of the youth team - a decent number of trainees at that level made it through to becoming full time professionals.

Doesn't mean he'll be good at 1st team level though. Paul Hart has a brilliant record as a youth academy manager, but has been nowhere near as successful as a 1st team manager.
  • Options
    BBC RADIO KENT SPORT ‏@BBCKENTSPORT
    We understand once the takeover is complete, @eufcofficial Ebbsfleet will announce Steve Brown as their new manager.
  • Options
    well done Browny and good luck. really hope he can make a success of it. probably can expect another Charlton old boy as his assistant.
  • Options
    I suppose I'm now a closet Ebbsfleet fan, although I like all local non-league clubs to do well. However Steve Brown is a class guy and I wish nothing but success for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The good thing with PV as chairman is Browny knows he'll get a good amount of time, even if things start slowly. There hopefully will be no 'knee jerk' reactions if the results aren't there at first. PV will give him time to 'bed in'.
  • Options

BBC RADIO KENT SPORT ‏@BBCKENTSPORT
    We understand once the takeover is complete, @eufcofficial Ebbsfleet will announce Steve Brown as their new manager.

With fleet being my second team this is great news.

• Options
    I thought Hessenthaler would have got the job to be honest. Good luck to Brownie though
  • Options
    Great news! Good luck Stevie Brown! Ebbsfleet fans - he wont let you down!
  • Options
    Well done, Brownie! Top man when he played for us, and he's intelligent on the radio. The Fleet have got a very good man. See you in the league in a couple of seasons!
  • Options
    Good afternoon guys. Fleet fan here.

Can I get some views on Brown, as a person and as a player please? What was he like in a Charlton shirt?

Interested to see how he makes the step into proper management. He appears to be highly regarded from his assistant role at Dover and youth/reserve coaching at Charlton and West Ham.

He has my full backing.

Stevie Brown's Barmy Army!
  • Options
    Don't think you'd hear any bad words from any charlton fan about him. Always gave everything, put in some brilliant performances, never let anyone down. Hope it goes well for you and him.
  • Options
    Very very good player (and goalkeeper!). Whilst Steve didn't have the agility and mobility of Richard Rufus, he had the power though, but Steve had the decision making of Chris Solly, a very sussed footballer, and a great bloke. If you find any Charlton fan who has a bad word to say about Brownie I'll be very surprised.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Can't comment on his managerial skill, but he seems very knowledgeable when you hear him on the radio - which does contrast with a few former pros. He's a top bloke though who is very committed and always gives it everything. he was far from being our best player, but is considered a Charlton legend because of his attitude. Hope he does well for you guys!

EDIT - just watched the video below again. Mindblowing.
  • Options
    Go to 9.30 on this vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHFkFqVcFGo

That tackle sums up his entire career! Hardly ever got the glory, just went about being quietly heroic.