Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Brown leaves Dover

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, the Council don't really back us too much despite them saying they do. Only seemed to back us when we won a certain game in 2008.

KEH have already submitted plans to build a new stand at Stonebridge Road. Pretty sure they're just thinking of redeveloping Stonebridge Road. If done carefully, there's potential for a decent sized ground (possibly 8-10,000 capacity) there with a good bar and offices.

Our prices have been overpriced for a while now. Was £15 last season (£13 two seasons ago in BSS) with U18s the same price as Charlton, which I think is ridiculous. U18s should not be paying £10 to watch a shit Conference side, although U16s at Alfreton are charged £12... Unfortunately, the price of Conference Football is increasing. Most places charge between £12 and £18 for adults I believe.

I think with Varney on board he's going to focus on getting the community behind the Club, something that we haven't had for years. I reckon we'll see a slight decrease in pricing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I reckon we'll see a slight decrease in pricing.

Considering they've just been relegated, I'd think so too.

The problem for clubs at Fleets level, a fair amount of their support are people who support other clubs, such as Charlton, west ham etc and go to watch their local team when their team is away. I used to watch the Fleet often during the 90's, but they now seem to price out the floating support.

Used to love watching them playing with Portaway, Cotter & Jackson, the highlight being the 3rd round FA Cup trip to Aston Villa (when the ref bottled a clear penalty to the Fleet in the first 2 mins)....................

• Options

Good stuff. Would quite like to play Charlton in the Cup. Wouldn't say they're my 'second team' as such, but have a soft spot for the Addicks. Go to the majority of Fleet matches so don't get to as many Charlton games as I'd like to. Hopefully get to a few more over the next few seasons.

People seem to be thinking it's a bad move replacing Daish with an untried manager, but the very same people are forgetting Daish was untried when he joined us. As I said, Brown has my full support and if Peter Varney believes he's the man to take us forward then I do too.

That challenge shown in the video, by the way, is excellent. Proper tackle that is. If that was a player today they'd have been rolling around the floor and Brown would have been sent off. It's a shame the way football is going in that aspect.

Daish untried? Really???
  • Options
    Yeah, it's definitely over priced but, as I said, a lot of Non-League clubs are overpricing. Varney knows what he's doing. I think things will change at the Fleet.

Yeah, Daish was untried. Unknown. Whatever term you wish to use. He'd been joint manager at Havant and Waterlooville in the Blue Square South and caretaker Manager at Welling United - he didn't get the job full-time. It's hardly top experience, is it?
  • Options
    SB not confirmed yet, but 'management structure' to be confirmed in Press Conference Monday morning according to Peter Varney. All of the local papers have reported that Brown is going to be appointed. I guess we'll have to wait and see, though.

Next season's matchday prices have been released:

Adults: £10
    Concessions: £8
    Under 16: £5
    Under 12: FREE

Last season's prices (if I remember correctly):

Adults: £15
    Concessions (under 18s, students, OAPs): £10.
    Under 12s: £5

• Options

SB not confirmed yet, but 'management structure' to be confirmed in Press Conference Monday morning according to Peter Varney. All of the local papers have reported that Brown is going to be appointed. I guess we'll have to wait and see, though.

Next season's matchday prices have been released:

Adults: £10
    Concessions: £8
    Under 16: £5
    Under 12: FREE

Last season's prices (if I remember correctly):

Adults: £15
    Concessions (under 18s, students, OAPs): £10.
    Under 12s: £5

Under 12's FREE. That's good to see
  • Options
    Under 12's going free is such a smart move for non league side it gets kids in and supporting the team from a young age.

Simple but brilliant move from the board.
  • Options

Stevie Brown, one of the finest centre halves ever to grace CAFC. He was almost the complete package. Had he possessed the pace of Rufus he'd have been an England regular. Fantastic reader of the game, great tackler, could put a pass on a sixpense from 40 yards, 110% effort, terrific shot. Hope he does a well for you and has a long and highly successful managerial career .

Don't forget the banks quality keeper ;-)
  • Options
    I thought they owned the fleet leisure centre as well?
  • Options
    Glad to see a more realistic pricing. I will probably be attending a few games next season now...........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    They do own the Fleet Leisure now, yes...

It was in administration before and their administrators had a winding-up order against us, which has now been withdrawn. Fleet Leisure will be our training ground, as it was 3-4 seasons ago.

The club is now debt free. I'm happy!

Under 12s go free is excellent. I'm so happy with the pricing structure. It won't pull back the 500 or so fans that we've lost but steady progression will see them (and probably more) return!

No doubt I'll attend a few Charlton games next season so be sure to welcome me!
  • Options
    Steve Brown and Steve Gritt dream team......you heard it here first ; )
  • Options
    Welling all the way.
  • Options

Welling all the way.

Up the Darts !!!!

• Options
    Great guy. Should do well at Ebbsfleet.
  • Options
    Old news Olly
  • Options
    Would Steve Gritt take a pay cut to join us? Is he not still at Bournemouth as a scout?

I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning...
  • Options
    Ebbsfleet United FC ‏@EUFCofficial 8m

New #EUFC manager is ex-Addicks defender Steve Brown and his assistant is former Charlton manager Steve Gritt
    Retweeted by Charlton Athletic FC
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    oh when the Steve's, are in the fleet. oh when the Steve's are in the fleet. they're gonna win every league. while the Steve's are in the fleet!
  • Options
    Interesting. Obviously hoping this kick starts Brown's career as a first-team manager. Gritt is a great appointment. Very happy with that.

Club are staying part-time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant news for the Fleet. Was a season ticket holder down stonebridge road last year and will prob buy another this season.... my misses will be happy!
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Go to 9.30 on this vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHFkFqVcFGo

That tackle sums up his entire career! Hardly ever got the glory, just went about being quietly heroic.

Never get tired of watching that video
  • Options
    EBBSFLEET United's new boss Steve Brown says he will look seriously into the possibility of signing youngsters on loan from Charlton this season.

Former Addicks defender Brown was unveiled as Liam Daish’s successor at Stonebridge Road this morning and will be assisted in the role by one-time Charlton joint-manager Steve Gritt.

And with Valley connections so strong at the Conference South side, Brown admitted there was an obvious temptation to get some of Charlton’s talented youngsters on board on temporary deals.

“There’s potential for it,” he said.

“I’ve got a connection with that football club, it’s just a case of whether they will allow the certain players I may want to come down to this level.”
  • Options
    Sounds like there are possibilities here. Steve Gritt is still a regular at Sparrows Lane for under-18 and under-21 games.
  • Options
    Shame that Ebbsfleet are now in a lower league in terms of the level loanees will play at.

I hope the TJ v PDV court case does scupper any deals.
  • Options
    Browny gets 100% support from me.

He gave everything I every wanted to see from a Charlton player.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Don't know if its been covered on this thread or other threads relating to this yet. But Brown has said he is very interested in getting some of our youngsters in on loan, thats got to be good for development of our under 18's etc.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/football/charlton/10458963._/?
  • Options

Don't know if its been covered on this thread or other threads relating to this yet. But Brown has said he is very interested in getting some of our youngsters in on loan, thats got to be good for development of our under 18's etc.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/football/charlton/10458963._/?

Only three posts up : - )
  • Options
    I'd be delighted if Brown were to get some youngsters from Charlton. It's a great academy, and we were massively helped by the loan signing of Yado Mambo in 2011/12. Of course it would be better for the lads to get experience in the Conference Prem, or higher, but I'm sure there are some who would welcome games in the South.
  • Options
    spent more than us so far this close season. 13k on a player from Dover, leaves 87k in the transfer kitty.