Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Brown leaves Dover

Comments

• Options
    Stevie Brown won't let you down !!

Never really been bothered about G&N or Ebbsfleet or whoever you are but will follow your progress with interest now.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Go to 9.30 on this vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHFkFqVcFGo

That tackle sums up his entire career! Hardly ever got the glory, just went about being quietly heroic.

Greatest tackle in the history of the club.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Legend. I keep a casual eye out for their results but definitely will be now.
  • Options
    A fans player. Not as naturally talented or quick as some other players, but gave 100% every game, played to his potential, wherever he was asked to play, RB, CB, defensive midfielder, even in goal.
  • Options
    Has the best dress sense of any Charlton player, past and present.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Will post a link when my piece has been uploaded.

Next few weeks will be interesting. We have no players. Will also be interesting to see if Varney/Brown bring in their own backroom staff or whether the current few will stay.
  • Options

Next few weeks will be interesting. We have no players. Will also be interesting to see if Varney/Brown bring in their own backroom staff or whether the current few

will stay.

Next few weeks will be interesting. We have no players. Will also be interesting to see if Varney/Brown bring in their own backroom staff or whether the current few will stay.

Brownie will do well for you, FleetFan. He's got a rare integrity and toughness, as a player and as a man. See you in the Cup!
  • Options
    Good stuff. Would quite like to play Charlton in the Cup. Wouldn't say they're my 'second team' as such, but have a soft spot for the Addicks. Go to the majority of Fleet matches so don't get to as many Charlton games as I'd like to. Hopefully get to a few more over the next few seasons.

People seem to be thinking it's a bad move replacing Daish with an untried manager, but the very same people are forgetting Daish was untried when he joined us. As I said, Brown has my full support and if Peter Varney believes he's the man to take us forward then I do too.

That challenge shown in the video, by the way, is excellent. Proper tackle that is. If that was a player today they'd have been rolling around the floor and Brown would have been sent off. It's a shame the way football is going in that aspect.
  • Options

Good stuff. Would quite like to play Charlton in the Cup. Wouldn't say they're my 'second team' as such, but have a soft spot for the Addicks. Go to the majority of Fleet matches so don't get to as many Charlton games as I'd like to. Hopefully get to a few more over the next few seasons.

People seem to be thinking it's a bad move replacing Daish with an untried manager, but the very same people are forgetting Daish was untried when he joined us. As I said, Brown has my full support and if Peter Varney believes he's the man to take us forward then I do too.

That challenge shown in the video, by the way, is excellent. Proper tackle that is. If that was a player today they'd have been rolling around the floor and Brown would have been sent off. It's a shame the way football is going in that aspect.

You're welcome FleetFan. When I said "See you in the Cup" I was giving you a sideways glance and a wry smile: you know we've got an abysmal record against local lower-leaguers. When we were in the Prem we huffed and puffed against Dagenham & Redbridge, who were then in the Conference, and needed a replay. Got dumped by Gillingham, again when we were in the Prem, if my memory serves me. I'll never forget our debacle at The Valley in 1976 in the third round against Maidstone, when both Halesy and Flanagan were sent off for fighting each other - we just about scraped a 1-1 draw, and 10,000 of us squeezed in to the old Maidstone ground in London Road for the replay: squeaked through, 2-1. Ah, happy days! Good luck to you, Brownie and the Fleet for next season!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good piece, well written.
    As said before, Stevie Brown, won't let you down !
  • Options
    Ah, lower-League cup ties. I hate them. Losing to Redbridge was easily the worst Fleet performance I've seen in my short time (seven years) attending matches. You needed a replay to beat (still) non-league Luton Town too. I remember attending the first game at the Valley, not a bad game. A late equaliser from Andy Drury if I remember correctly.

10,000 in Maidstone's ground. I bet that was buzzing!

Cheers. Hopefully we can get back to the Conference soon enough and then see where that takes us! The Premier Division is beginning to even itself out a bit now with proper non-league sides like Barnet and Aldershot coming down while former Football-League Clubs are heading back there!
  • Options

Ah, lower-League cup ties. I hate them. Losing to Redbridge was easily the worst Fleet performance I've seen in my short time (seven years) attending matches. You needed a replay to beat (still) non-league Luton Town too. I remember attending the first game at the Valley, not a bad game. A late equaliser from Andy Drury if I remember correctly.

10,000 in Maidstone's ground. I bet that was buzzing!

Cheers. Hopefully we can get back to the Conference soon enough and then see where that takes us! The Premier Division is beginning to even itself out a bit now with proper non-league sides like Barnet and Aldershot coming down while former Football-League Clubs are heading back there!

I must have been trying to forget our tie with Luton three or four years ago. But I can't erase the memory of our pitiful performance against Northwich Victoria, who were in the division below the Conference, some 90-odd places beneath us. We were outplayed in the first half; Darren Randolph, or keeper, kept us in it. And we were beaten by a strike from a student who did a bit of work in a bar. The match was shown live on ITV - utterly, utterly humiliating.

• Options
    Always gave his all, good luck SB , hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    He said on twitter a few days ago that he hung out with Scott Parker an floated the idea of him coming back to the valley. Scott said he'd come "home" after his 2 years at spurs expires. Probably just being friendly and a bit of banter between the two but wouldn't that be awesome. If we could afford him! He'd be a bit long in the tooth by then. A man can dream...
  • Options

He said on twitter a few days ago that he hung out with Scott Parker an floated the idea of him coming back to the valley. Scott said he'd come "home" after his 2 years at spurs expires. Probably just being friendly and a bit of banter between the two but wouldn't that be awesome. If we could afford him! He'd be a bit long in the tooth by then. A man can dream...

I would love Parker to come back, but I don't know how many Charlton fans have forgiven him for leaving in the first place, I think Parker will be off to Fulham or Qpr when Spurs have had enough of him.
  • Options
    Ah, I remember watching the Northwich game on TV. Must have been absolutely awful for Charlton fans, especially those who travelled up to watch.

Anyway, good luck for next season guys. Hopefully you can push on from your 9th place this season!
  • Options
    Has his appointment actually been confirmed yet?
  • Options

Has his appointment actually been confirmed yet?

Should be confirmed when the takeover is officially completed. BBC Kent are normally spot on with their information when it comes to the Fleet. One of our former directors has hinted that they're correct also. Would be a lot of people looking pretty stupid should Brown not be appointed! Varney has said it's on course to be done by May 31. I think Brown has already agreed terms, but they're just waiting for the takeover to be complete before announcing it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Nothing confirmed on their O/S:

http://ebbsfleetunited.co.uk/home/

Letter from PV on there though Tangoflash.....

"This is a critical period in the history of Ebbsfleet United FC and without new investment it is unlikely that the football club will survive. The club has not paid its players and staff for April 2013, it is being threatened with legal action by a number of creditors and such is the uncertainty surrounding the future of the club that it is yet to market season tickets for next season.

KEH Sports Ltd, a newly formed subsidiary of Kuwaiti European Holding Company, is committed to restructuring and reinvigorating the club and to investing significant sums of money to firstly guarantee its survival and then to put in place the foundations for future success. We will act in a financially responsible manner and all our investment will be in the form of equity and not loans which should give real reassurance of our intentions to the club’s supporters.

Our priority will be initially to build a new first team squad and to introduce a range of football support functions to ensure maximum performance on the pitch. We have made an offer to acquire a sports ground in Gravesend which will not only operate as the club’s training ground headquarters but will be a facility for use by the local community as it is our intention to build a real community club and one of which its supporters and the community at large can be rightly proud.

We will be drawing up plans in consultation with Gravesham Borough Council to develop the stadium at Stonebridge Road and in our offer to the club have made a substantial financial commitment relating to the construction of the first new stand at the club.

This can be the start of an exciting new era for Ebbsfleet United FC and by voting yes today you can help us start what hopefully will be an enjoyable and a successful future. I hope we can count on your support.

Regards

Peter Varney"

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Jealous. The man understands all that football's supposed to be. If he was still in and around our club who wouldn't feel much better about things?
  • Options
    Well in 4 years when SCP leaves us to manage England we will have someone fantastic to come and take his place ;)
  • Options
    Sounds like PV and co are going to do it the right way. Good luck to them.
  • Options
    I'd be vary wary had KEH wanted to buy the Club, but PV on board makes us all feel much safer. He appears to know what he is doing, which is great. The current owners have no clue whatsoever.

What's people's opinions on Varney, just out of interest? What did he do at Charlton? Has he helped you out?

They've already paid the outstanding players and staff wages for April which MyFC couldn't pay. They're paying for much needed pitch improvements and have submitted an application to the council about the redevelopment of Stonebridge Road, as it says in the letter from PV to the fans. Made an offer to purchase a local community facility to have as our training ground too.
  • Options
    Stevie Brown, one of the finest centre halves ever to grace CAFC. He was almost the complete package. Had he possessed the pace of Rufus he'd have been an England regular. Fantastic reader of the game, great tackler, could put a pass on a sixpense from 40 yards, 110% effort, terrific shot. Hope he does a well for you and has a long and highly successful managerial career .
  • Options

I'd be vary wary had KEH wanted to buy the Club, but PV on board makes us all feel much safer. He appears to know what he is doing, which is great. The current owners have no clue whatsoever.

What's people's opinions on Varney, just out of interest? What did he do at Charlton? Has he helped you out?

They've already paid the outstanding players and staff wages for April which MyFC couldn't pay. They're paying for much needed pitch improvements and have submitted an application to the council about the redevelopment of Stonebridge Road, as it says in the letter from PV to the fans. Made an offer to purchase a local community facility to have as our training ground too.

Varney played a major role in us being such a successful club off the pitch in our premier league years. Then when he came back to our club a couple of years ago the change at how things were being run and how positive everything was was markedly different and better. Then when he left things off the pitch have been a bit murkier. Honestly think you've got a top chairman now who will always back the manager and give them time and is not one for knee jerk reactions.
  • Options
    FleetFan95 Out of interest (as I'm a Gravesend lad) Who actually owns Stonebridge road these days? If memory serves me right, it used to be owned by Blue Circle cement works, who were in turn bought out by a french company (La Farge?)...............
  • Options
    Good to hear. The last chair(wo)man didn't have a clue. Absolutely useless. Excited to have Varney on board.

Gravesham Borough Council own Stonebridge Road.
  • Options

Must be a worry having the ground owned by a GBC. Still waiting for them to catch up with the rest of the country and get some wheelie bins. Never like it when a stadium (use the term very loosely in regards of stonebridge rd) isn't owned by the club. Always seems to cause conflicts regarding upgrades/repairs. The council certainly won't pay for them and the clubs are usually reluctant to spend money on something they don't own. Hopefully, KEH will look into building a new stadium in the not too distant future. Plenty of land beside the Ebbsfleet station. Really couldn't see any point of buying the existing ground to re-develop as they'd be too limited there.

Hope it all works out for you, especially if Brownie gets the gig and I might even take a trip down on the odd occasion if they ever decide to lower their over-inflated prices (2 years ago it was about £18 to watch conference football)...............................
  • Options

Must be a worry having the ground owned by a GBC. Still waiting for them to catch up with the rest of the country and get some wheelie bins. Never like it when a stadium (use the term very loosely in regards of stonebridge rd) isn't owned by the club. Always seems to cause conflicts regarding upgrades/repairs. The council certainly won't pay for them and the clubs are usually reluctant to spend money on something they don't own. Hopefully, KEH will look into building a new stadium in the not too distant future. Plenty of land beside the Ebbsfleet station. Really couldn't see any point of buying the existing ground to re-develop as they'd be too limited there.

Hope it all works out for you, especially if Brownie gets the gig and I might even take a trip down on the odd occasion if they ever decide to lower their over-inflated prices (2 years ago it was about £18 to watch conference football)...............................
    Eighteen sovs for the Conference? That's outrageous! How much will the walk-up price be at Welling next season?