Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If you could have any player from past squads in his peak for the 13/14 season who would it be?

Comments

• Options
    Parker
  • Options
    I love kins... but we've got good leadership on the pitch so I'd go for bent. with his goals, we'd beat anyone
  • Options
    in 5 years time i may repost this and see how many kermorgants<3 pop up :)
  • Options
    Derek Hales.
  • Options
    Parker
  • Options
    Deano
  • Options
    Sir Chris
  • Options
    Kinsella for me.
  • Options
    Arthur Horsfield
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Di Canio in his prime is one of the best footballers I have ever seen..... Would have to be him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A top striker would be the obvious choice, Eddie Firmani, Stuart Leary and Allan Simonsen haven't been mentioned yet.
  • Options
    Darren Bent. Not a shadow of a doubt.
  • Options

Close between Parker and Bent but would have to go with Parker. We are desperate for a quality box-to-box midfielder who can make things happen.

This
  • Options
    Sam Bartram, Derek Hales, Mike Bailey, Scott Parker, Darren Bent, Johnny Summers, showing my age and getting a bit greedy I guess.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I love kins... but we've got good leadership on the pitch so I'd go for bent. with his goals, we'd beat anyone

Good leadership ? Thats one thing that we don't have imo .....well possibly Hughes but he rarely plays.

• Options
    Powell
  • Options
    lee, lee, lee bowyer!
  • Options
    Rufus, Parker can't decide.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Good leadership ? Thats one thing that we don't have imo .....well possibly Hughes but he rarely plays.

don't think Jackson, Morrison and Hamer keep talking? Agree Hughes made a difference on the pitch with his experience rather than his skill
  • Options
    Allan Simonsen
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen
    Barnes
    Di Canio
    Lee
    Jensen
    Parker
    Hales
    Defoe
    Bent

In that order
  • Options
    Hasselbaink just above Defoe
  • Options
    At his peak Jimmy H scored goals for fun at the top level.
  • Options
    Parker all day long
  • Options
    Actually scrap that, it would be Solly.
  • Options

Mendonca

Agreed - a goal scorer can be the differencecat this level.
  • Options
    Good question. On pure career form. I would have to say di canio was a genius in his prime.
  • Options
    THEMCA said:

Simonsen
    Barnes
    Di Canio
    Lee
    Jensen
    Parker
    Hales
    Defoe
    Bent

In that order

All of these would be one fabulous team!
  • Options
    It depends what ''at their peak'' means.

Career peak or Charlton peak?

If the former, Haselbaink and Barnes, both of whom were well past it by the time we got them. Or Di Canio and Crooks, who were also past their best but not as over the hill as the other two.

Or even Jim Melrose, who pretty much single-handedly kept us up one year. Or outstanding but elderly central defenders who came to us towards the end of outstanding careers elsewhere like McLaughin and Pates.

If we mean players who went on to achieve their best after leaving Charlton, then Defoe, Lee, Parker and Bowyer (did anyone else mention him - I think after leaving Charlton he was Leeds player of the year two years running?)

But if we mean players whose peak probably came during their time at Charlton, then Bartram, Summers, Hales, Flanagan, Rufus and Humphrey all come to mind.

Andy Reid, Darren Bent and Jensen were also at the height of their powers when we sold them and would all be good calls.

On balance I think Reid probably gets my vote, simply because endlessly creative midfielders in my book are even rarer than 20 goals-a-season strikers.
  • Options
    Parker. At times he was world class. The move to Chelsea ruined him.

Surely Simonsen in his European player of the year era would have been tasty too