Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If you could have any player from past squads in his peak for the 13/14 season who would it be?

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Parker. At times he was world class. The move to Chelsea ruined him.

But only temporarily, and mostly because of injruy and selection issues which meant he only started for them about a dozen times?

He became a progressively better player at Newcastle, WHU and now Spurs - and at the latter he has surely played the best football of his career?

• Options
    Billy Bonds fantastic player
  • Options
    Can I have a touch of Jesper Blomqvist
  • Options
    Purely because of the way his career finished and the goals he would have scored: andy hunt.
  • Options
    Surprised no one has said Jorge Costa yet, was an absolute rock while he was here on loan and also captained a side to champions league victory as well as having over 50 caps for Portugal. Pretty good.
  • Options
    A 25-goal striker would almost guarantee promotion so Benty, Super Clive or Killer.
  • Options

Surprised no one has said Jorge Costa yet, was an absolute rock while he was here on loan and also captained a side to champions league victory as well as having over 50 caps for Portugal. Pretty good.

good call
  • Options
    Parker
  • Options
    My head would say Alan Simonsen, who can forget he virtually beat Chelsea by himself, but my heart would say Killer leading the front line again in his prime, there would be a few bruised and battered defenders next year.
  • Options
    Dean Kiely
    Chris Powell Richard Rufus Eddie Youds Luke Young
    Scott Parker Claus Jensen Di Canio
    Andy Hunt or Clive Mendonca
    Darren Bent Shaun Bartlett
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me it has to be Darren Bent. Whilst I would dearly love to see the likes of Parker or Jensen in the middle of the park, adding a striker who is going to get you 20+ goals a season would simply transform us. Imagine adding 20 goals to our tally last season! That would put us level with Watford on goals scored and if they came in the right games who knows what our points total might be?
  • Options
    I guess it is a fading generation like mine who would say Firmani. But you young 'uns, before the memory fades, let me say that Eddie Firmani at his peak, indeed his Charlton peak, would trump Bent, Mendonca, and even Hales. A superb footballer.
  • Options
    At present we need a midfielder so it will have to be Kinsella
  • Options
    Andy Hunt. He and Yann would terrorise defences.
  • Options

Allan Simonsen

Spot on.Truly world class at his peak.

• Options
    Scott Parker. He would dominate every midfield in the Championship.
  • Options
    My first thought was Parker, but then JJ fills that role pretty well, so I'd go for Darren Bent. Imagine him and Kermo up front....
  • Options
    Scott Parker closely followed by Darren Bent
  • Options

My first thought was Parker, but then JJ fills that role pretty well, so I'd go for Darren Bent. Imagine him and Kermo up front....

JJ certainly stepped up to the plate in the 2nd half of 2012/13 & dragged us through quite a few games but to suggest he's in the same class of a parker at his peak is just plain silly.
    Now if we were talking about dedication to the cause thats something else although having said that the little toe rag always gave 100% for us until a hefty wage increase led to splinters in his arse
  • Options
    Super Clive all day long for me. A genius.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    That's why I said he "fills the role pretty well", Charltonbob - not suggetsing JJ is in the same class as Parker, just that we have more adequate cover in that area presently, whereas we do not have a first class goal scorer.
  • Options
    Parker, Rufus, Bent, Johnny H - in that order.
  • Options

That's why I said he "fills the role pretty well", Charltonbob - not suggetsing JJ is in the same class as Parker, just that we have more adequate cover in that area presently, whereas we do not have a first class goal scorer.

Ah right sorry, speeding through reading at work, took it the wrong way ;-)

• Options

Allan Simonsen

Ditto

• Options
    seth plum said:

I guess it is a fading generation like mine who would say Firmani. But you young 'uns, before the memory fades, let me say that Eddie Firmani at his peak, indeed his Charlton peak, would trump Bent, Mendonca, and even Hales. A superb footballer.

I don't doubt what you say, Seth. Heroes are generational - and personal - and being a mere slip of a lad who has watched Charlton since 1966, I must nominate Derek Hales. I'm thinking of all the passion he aroused, all the febrile adoration, the whole stand shaking with our chants of "KEEELER! KEEELER!". Of my many joyous memories of him in his pomp, may I mention the game at Fulham, fourth round of the FA Cup, 1980-81. We were in the Third Division then, so had started in the first round: this was a very important game. Halesy received the ball on the corner of the Fulham 18-yard box with his back to goal: he didn't even turn, nor was it a bicycle kick - he lobbed it over his own shoulder in the most beautiful and graceful arc that eluded the keeper and plopped into the net. Cue: Delirium on the terraces. Later in the same game, Halesy got red-carded for a bit of physical - and we loved him passionately for that too. Until quite recently there was a brick wall in Greenwich that had graffito, gently faded from the 1970s: KILLER HALES IS GOD.

• Options
    Viewfinder - superb post.
  • Options
    BDL said:

Andy Hunt. He and Yann would terrorise defences.

I was going to mention Andy Hunt, a truly wonderful all round player that we saw all too little of. Not sure that I could pick just one though.
  • Options
    Well I am also going to show my age and go for Firmani, certainly the greatest player I ever seen at Charlton, but those great memories are sadly fading.
  • Options
    Claus Jensen at his best was unstoppable.
  • Options
    I think Darren Bent would add the most to our current squad. He'd fit right in and he'd bring the goals for sure.