Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell going!!??

Comments

• Options
    Wasn't there enough talk of bollox in the actual "story"?????
  • Options

I suppose Haynes not being offered a new contract was a warning sign. Rather disturbing.

He was offered a new contract, he wanted more.

• Options
    Whilst it is only the People, it is a concern when a story of this kind surfaces. What worries me is that I feel we were so close at the end of last season and only have to improve a little over last season. Powell has the ability to do that, but if he isn't modestly backed, we could be a little bit worse. Now if I was Powell and knew that and some decent sized clubs showed an interest, I'd consider.
  • Options
    Powell, like most professionals, is probably an ambitious man. If he were to get the chance to manage what he perceived as a bigger club with better prospects that CAFC, I am sure that he would at least consider the offer. Whatever, CAFC would go on without him
  • Options
    We'll find out soon enough. We need bodies in and the quality of those will tell us everything we need to know about where we are.
  • Options
    Before we start making signings I expect we'll be sorting out the players out of contract - still no confirmation of Hughes, Evina and BWP. We'll also want to get Powell, Solly, Wiggins etc on longer deals, they all have 1 year to go.
  • Options
    Most managers can through their whole careers and they will never get the support scp got last year from the fans...2 nil down at home to cardiff was rock bottom for every other manager on the survivability scale...charlton fans got behind scp 100%...he has something special at charlton very few managers ever get...he aint going anywhere for the time being unless the owners ever seriously misjudge their own position in the scheme of things
  • Options
    as of yesterday' SLP, Powell wants Hughes to be a player/coach at the club. I work with Callum's other half and I was pleading with her to get him to sign a contract with Charlton. She mentioned there were a couple of clubs interested him and so I was so pleased when Callum signed. Typical the ay I found out he had signed, she was on leave !!
  • Options
    Doubt this story has any substance.
    Powell is a pro and he clearly has a bond with charlton. I'm sure he would love nothing more than taking us to the premier league.
    That said, powell has been around, and knows how football works. A run of bad results and you are out the door. I could see him leaving for two reasons, the club does not give him resources to improve our league position or a bigger club comes in for him.
  • Options
    People is a sh*t paper gave us bad press and headlines when we had to leave the Valley ............never bought it since ......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jdsd42 said:

People is a sh*t paper gave us bad press and headlines when we had to leave the Valley ............never bought it since ......

I remember one columnist who i think was in The People ( or The Mirror) , who said we should lay down and die. I can't remember his name but i suspect the same fate has already happened to him.
  • Options

jdsd42 said:

I remember one columnist who i think was in The People ( or The Mirror) , who said we should lay down and die. I can't remember his name but i suspect the same fate has already happened to him.
    Headlines read :good riddance - never read it since

• Options
    jdsd42 said:

jdsd42 said:

Headlines read :good riddance - never read it since

Outlived the journo twat in question by the sounds. Good.

• Options

jdsd42 said:

I think it was written by Mike Langley
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

jdsd42 said:

I think it was written by Mike Langley
    That's Him !
  • Options
    Glovepup said:

I suppose Haynes not being offered a new contract was a warning sign. Rather disturbing.

errrr.......
  • Options
    I have been working in west wales this week and bumped into a friend with very good connections who told me that sir chris would not be manager by august. I dont like this thread its making me nervous.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Eh?
    Please expand.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

Glovepup said:

errrr.......
    Refers to Haynes...

• Sponsored links:

• Options

We'll find out soon enough. We need bodies in and the quality of those will tell us everything we need to know about where we are.

This!

Already some players have been re-signed for next season and some let go. I am sure that the board and Chris Powell would love it if the academy could produce enough players quickly enough to add to the squad immediately but it's not going to happen is it... so we either buy / borrow additional quality OR we sell top players and play a waiting game...

Today's result was a blow but actually it's the price tag on the game which should give people a clue as to which direction CAFC should go. Let's wait and see what actually happens with signings

• Options

Rob62 said:

Glovepup said:

errrr.......
    Refers to Haynes...

I know, just don't think it's true
  • Options
    Can everyone just calm down...Haynes was injured a lot last season and although he contributed some important and great goals, he probably cost the club too much money for the amount of playing time he put back into the club. He was a great player but if we want to keep a financially sound club we have to be shrewd with our transfers/deal renewals. We renewed contract of Harriott and Cort showing that Powell is being allowed to renew contracts of some of our best players. To use Powell's own words this is 'silly season'. SCP will be in charge in August and firing us towards promotion. Lets all stop panicking over Haynes' release
  • Options

I have been working in west wales this week and bumped into a friend with very good connections who told me that sir chris would not be manager by august. I dont like this thread its making me nervous.

I reckon Powell will be manager in August.

• Options
    All it needs for these rumours to stop is for SCP to sign a new contract..
  • Options
    Haynes released = no money! Haha, you gotta be kidding me. He is an average, injury prone Championship player. Him leaving frees up some wages and even if we bring in an average, non injury prone player we will be better off!
  • Options

Haynes released = no money! Haha, you gotta be kidding me. He is an average, injury prone Championship player. Him leaving frees up some wages and even if we bring in an average, non injury prone player we will be better off!

I agree with this. It is far more important and encouraging that Harriott has signed a new contract. I also think that this close-season may be a different. There may be more reason to play hardball, and wait a bit. Unfortunately Jiminez' record at hardball is mixed (Stephens).

But I too have no doubt SCP will still be with us in August.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I also think that this close-season may be a different. There may be more reason to play hardball, and wait a bit
    goes against CP saying that he wanted to get his business done early.

• Options

All it needs for these rumours to stop is for SCP to sign a new contract..

He'll need the board to get some lawyers to draft one first!
  • Options
    CP is not Charlton however much we like him. Given our current finances we're going to continue struggling on unless our academy unearths its best ever crop.
    Other clubs have more dosh and we have to reign in our spending and work with a smaller squad.
    Hope CP is with us for the long term but who knows?