Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

our national anthem

Comments

• Options
    PL54 said:

So the English National Anthem should be a song for us all to sing about our achievements in art, science, democracy etc as it doesn't represent England today.

Let's go the whole hog and have it written by a Somalian and make sure it heralds our multi-culturalism. We must also comprise it of 27 different languages to properly represent our generosity to the rest of the world.

We should then all sing it with our pants down and facing East.

GSTQ

Yeah that's definitely what everyone whose proposing an alternative to the current anthem is saying, how insightful of you.
  • Options
    How about " Red Red Robin", That is a jolly little ditty :-)
  • Options
    DOn't have a problem with GSTQ but it's the British anthem so the England football and rugby teams need anthems of their own.

The other option, of course, is to have a Team GB in football who can sing GSTQ and might be a bit better than the shower that England, Scotland, Wales and NI are...
  • Options
    This is the national anthem.....

youtube.com/watch?v=rWr3xMhm0ig
  • Options
    Depends on the mix, the version produced for London 2012 by the LSO was really good. The version since are terrible
  • Options
    Love it love it love it
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I will from now on refuse to sing Valley Floyd Road. I rarely see mist rolling in from the Thames, especially in this day and age. I don't even sit in the Covered End, this does NOT represent ME!

And Chris Solly's height is being disgracefully misrepresented, scandalous!
  • Options
    It's definitely time for a change - those concentric circles make it sound so dated.
  • Options
    pathetic ode to servitude
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    GSTQ is tottaly about England, albeit indirectly. One of the institutions England can still be proud of.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I will from now on refuse to sing Valley Floyd Road. I rarely see mist rolling in from the Thames, especially in this day and age. I don't even sit in the Covered End, this does NOT represent ME!

And Chris Solly's height is being disgracefully misrepresented, scandalous!

And we are not the Robins anymore, so that also has to go :-(

• Options

GSTQ is tottaly about England, albeit indirectly. One of the institutions England can still be proud of.

Isn't the Queen monarch of the United Kingdom rather than just England ? I think she also acts as head of state for numerous other Commonwealth nations so it's not really an English institution you're singing about.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Isn't the Queen monarch of the United Kingdom rather than just England ? I think she also acts as head of state for numerous other Commonwealth nations so it's not really an English institution you're singing about.
    Where did this criteria for a national anthem come from?

Our national anthem is probably the most recognised anthem in the world. Just leave it alone!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

Where did this criteria for a national anthem come from?

Our national anthem is probably the most recognised anthem in the world. Just leave it alone!
    It's not a criteria - the chap before me said GTSQ was valid as an anthem for the English football team as the Queen is an English institution, I was pointing out that it's a British institution.

I reckon the French and American anthems are more recognisable to foreign ears than GTSQ but you're right it is very iconic, I'm just not sure that's reason enough to save it - but I'm a republican so there probably isn't anything related to the Royal Family that I would particularly endorse !

• Options
    I take it you all believe heavily in God and Christianity then when it comes to celebrating Christmas?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I take it you all believe heavily in God and Christianity then when it comes to celebrating Christmas?

I do as long as me presents are up to scratch
  • Options
    I sing GSTQ loudly and proudly,a good rendition will often make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. But so does Jerusalem,Land of Hope and Glory,Rule Britannia and even There'll always be an England. I suppose these days it could be seen as outdated in comparison to some anthems,and it doesn't have a big climax like the french or italian anthems but as a proud Englishman I love it.
  • Options
    Jerusalem should be the English national anthem. No problem with GSTQ but it's the British national anthem, Wales and the scots have their own one.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    GSTQ has it's place but belongs to an Empire where the sun never sets.

Meanwhile times have changed. Each of the countries within the UK are developing their own cultural and national identity.

We need a lively anthem that is truly English for truly English events.
    The traditionalists can still sing GSTQ for UK/British representation and when Auntie Liz is around.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Meanwhile times have changed. Each of the countries within the UK are developing their own cultural and national identity.

The traditionalists can still sing GSTQ for UK/British representation and when Auntie Liz is around.

That's a really interesting point. Do you think constantly confusing English and British stunts the ability of the English to develop an identity of their own ?

What's the Cornish anthem btw ?!?!
  • Options
    Prefer the Sex Pistols version.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Christmas isn't a Christian thing so no.

• Options
    se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

What's the Cornish anthem btw ?!?!
    A good crust and a trusty hand!
    A faithful heart and true!
    George Osborne's men shall understand
    what Cornish food can do!
    And have they fixed the budget yet?
    Shall pasties be served cold?
    Here's twenty percent VAT
    before it's even sold!

And is your pasty warm?
    And was it when it sold?
    Here's twenty thousand Cornish men
    don't like to eat it cold!

or something like that
  • Options
    We have a winner !
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCgDQwQX2Jw
    The video seems to have gone on you tube......
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The Celtic cultural purists sing, “Bro goth agan tasow” which, surprise, surprise - is sung to the same tune as the Welsh and Breton national anthems. And translates roughly the same, "Old Land of our Fathers".

Celtic brotherhood standing shoulder to shoulder. Here's the chorus:

Kernow! Kernow, y keryn Kernow!
    An mor, hedra vo
    Yn fos dhis a-dro,
    'Th on onan hag oll rag Kernow!

Right.

But of course everyone else sings Trelawney or "Song of the Western Men", as it's properly called:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMJYzyty2Z8

"A good sword and a trusty hand,
    A merry heart and true!
    King James's men shall understand
    What Cornish lads can do.
    And have they fixed the where and when?
    And shall Trelawny die?
    Here's twenty thousand Cornish men
    Will know the reason why!"

• Options
    Brilliant version, PL54 lol
  • Options
    In all seriousness, this should be our national anthem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvouc8Qs_MI

British poem written to British music, and everytime it is a beautiful but also an inspiring piece of music.
  • Options
    Some of those proms videos are magical