Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

our national anthem

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:

I love our National Anthem.

It's ours and I don't care in the slightest what other countries anthems are like.

It does the job and it ain't changing any time soon, thankfully.

It'll definitely be changing soon. She's ninety years old.
  • Options
    Nothing better than hearing the anthem before a game. Get the blood pumping. The Russian one is pretty damn good too.
  • Options
    It is a bit of a dirge but it's ours, it's part of our history so I like it.
  • Options
    The bit about "treacherous scots" is pretty outrageous for it to be a UK national anthem
  • Options
    Half of the people on here sing 'der der der der since I was young' bullshit every week, get off your high horses
  • Options
    Rob said:

It is a bit of a dirge but it's ours, it's part of our history so I like it.

And it has the brilliant "der, der, der, der" bit before "Send her victorious" that people only sing at England football matches
  • Options
    I can't believe no one has suggested "There be blue birds over , the white cliffs of Dover, tomotrrow just you wait and C, H, A....R, L T Charlton Athletic are the team for me....Or Agadoo
  • Options
    It's not one of my favourite tunes.
  • Options
    At least it would get my toes tapping.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would love to see it changed.
  • Options
    And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England’s Wembley's green?
    And was the pint held in my hand
    On England’s pleasant pastures seen?
    And did the German defense divide
    As we won in extra time
    And was football not invented here
    Among those dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
    Bring me my arrows of desire!
    Bring me my spear: o clouds unfold!
    Bring me my chariots of fire!
    I will not cease from mental fight;
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
    Till we have built a winning team
    In England’s green and pleasant land.
  • Options

Off_it said:

It's ours and I don't care in the slightest what other countries anthems are like.

I don't think it does, do the job, considering England's appalling record in major tournaments!

if anything it does the complete opposite.
    So by using your "logic" it did the job and inspired the team yesterday then? And at the 1966 World Cup?

Of course, that's bollocks - but you started it!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

I don't think it does, do the job, considering England's appalling record in major tournaments!

So by using your "logic" it did the job and inspired the team yesterday then? And at the 1966 World Cup?

started what, off_it?

yesterday's result was a rare success for england in tournament football.

and 66 was fifty years ago, nuff said!
  • Options
    I love it personally & fortunately I've been lucky enough to watch England in a few past world cups & euros when the atmosphere is another level. When it gets belted out towards the end of a game & England fans have usually managed to completely take over the ground it gives you goosebumps
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

started what, off_it?

You started off the bizarre notion that the National Anthem is somehow responsible for the England football teams failure at international tournaments.

I am merely pointing out that if that is true then surely the equal is true - every time they win a game/tournament it's because of the anthem. It's the same song since 1966 after all, no matter how much time has passed.

Of course, it's bollocks - but as I said, you raised it in the first place!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

started what, off_it?

You started off the bizarre notion that the National Anthem is somehow responsible for the England football teams failure at international tournaments.

I am merely pointing out that if that is true then surely the equal is true - every time they win a game/tournament it's because of the anthem. It's the same song since 1966 after all, no matter how much time has passed.

my original post and still my point, our national anthem, is dreadful.

the england football team, as everyone knows has failed to deliver at major tournaments consistently and in the main, been an embarrassment, considering the players we've had at our disposal over the years.

for me I see no success in winning friendlies or gaining qualification to major tournaments, if they get knocked out at the group stage.

let's hope this tournament will be different but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    It's not the best sounding but it's ours and for that reason I love it.

At Wembley is usually pathetic but 20,000 proud Englishman belting it out in Lens on Thur gave me goosebumps at times, esp after our equaliser.
  • Options

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

started what, off_it?

the england football team, as everyone knows has failed to deliver at major tournaments consistently and in the main, been an embarrassment, considering the players we've had at our disposal over the years.

for me I see no success in winning friendlies or gaining qualification to major tournaments, if they get knocked out at the group stage.

Looking forward to you resurrecting this thread again at the next tournament, as you seem to do every few years for some strange reason.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When England play we should be singing Jerusalem. No question. The Welsh and Scottish have proud national anthems of their own so why not England ? The reason is that those that could make the decision to change are afraid it would be seen as some sort of snub to the queen so we're stuck with singing a dirge about a woman when we should be celebrating the nation. FACT ;9)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Off_it said:

When England play we should be singing Jerusalem. No question. The Welsh and Scottish have proud national anthems of their own so why not England ? The reason is that those that could make the decision to change are afraid it would be seen as some sort of snub to the queen so we're stuck with singing a dirge about a woman when we should be celebrating the nation. FACT ;9)

NOT a FACT, but an opinion.

FACT.
    Jeez. You didn't see my winky ;0)

• Options
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

started what, off_it?

Looking forward to you resurrecting this thread again at the next tournament, as you seem to do every few years for some strange reason.
    you don't seem to have a grasp of maths, this is the first time I've bumped it, maybe others have?
  • Options
    Mt favourite versions of G S T Q are by Jimi Hendrix (ripped off by Queens' queenman May) and by the Doors at the very start of the wonderful 'L A Woman'
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

started what, off_it?

you don't seem to have a grasp of maths, this is the first time I've bumped it, maybe others have?
    Mate, you're boring.

What the fuck it's got to do with maths now is anyone's guess.

PS. I see the rugby boys were inspired by the Anthem earlier today. Great tune.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

started what, off_it?

Mate, you're boring.

the rugby boys were inspired by their australian coach and their own ethics, not the shite national anthem.

and you have a bad attitude off_it and you clearly are off it! can't take different opinions, without resorting to being obnoxious, we don't all have to agree, that's what makes the world more interesting. try accepting differences, you might improve your education.
  • Options
    This is what the Veep thinks.https://youtu.be/SzvpGYDPlMc
  • Options

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

started what, off_it?

Mate, you're boring.

the rugby boys were inspired by their australian coach and their own ethics, not the shite national anthem.

and you have a bad attitude off_it and you clearly are off it! can't take different opinions, without resorting to being obnoxious, we don't all have to agree, that's what makes the world more interesting. try accepting differences, you might improve your education.
    And you, Martin, are a prize plum.

Good day to you.