Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

our national anthem

Comments

• Options
    People's problem is that the National Anthem is too British - why replace it with another non-English song ?
  • Options

In all seriousness, this should be our national anthem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvouc8Qs_MI

British poem written to British music, and everytime it is a beautiful but also an inspiring piece of music.

I love it, It's English, it's powerful, and it sends a true message that is quite relevant in todays violent society.

The trouble I see with changing the National Anthem is getting the diversity of people in England to agree to the one Anthem.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm a Jerusalem type me, and nothing wrong with a 2 minute long anthem.

Could could go for the last two verses if you wanted a short version
  • Options
    Do we need words?
    How about some stirring music like the themes from films like;
    The Battle of Britain
    A Bridge too Far
    The Dambusters

Notice there is a "theme" happening here.
  • Options
    Like GSTQ, find it very patriotic and moving personally.

Never been a fan of Jerusalem.

Personally i would much prefer Land of Hope and Glory, and very surprised no one else has mentioned this yet.
  • Options
    RZA said:

Jerusalem is better.

Although Jerusalem is considered England's unofficial national anthem, the lyrics refer to religion quite a lot, and it is not reflective of today's society. We'd need to keep religion/ politics out of any national anthem.

• Options
    PL54 said:

People's problem is that the National Anthem is too British - why replace it with another non-English song ?

My problem with it is that it isn't British at all - it celebrates/promotes one individual at the expense of the essence of everything that is British and even Britishness itself. Even worse it invokes god as her protector.

• Options
    Croydon said:

Some of those proms videos are magical

I've been on You tube looking at the Prom video's. Really heart stirring stuff.

Jesus I'm really home sick now!!
  • Options
    Billy Connolly had it right.......

Altogether now.... ( to the theme of the Archers )

Rum tee tum tee rum tee tum rum tee tum tee tum tumm.....
  • Options

PL54 said:

My problem with it is that it isn't British at all - it celebrates/promotes one individual at the expense of the essence of everything that is British and even Britishness itself. Even worse it invokes god as her protector.

It was British. Back in the days "for King and country". That's not the case anymore.

My History isn't the greatest but that all changed with Immigration post WW2. The first major Influx of Immigration was from Poland after the war, in 1948 over 150,000 were allowed to settle in the UK. The government then offered the West Indians to settle on mass, with promises of employment.

Patriotism is a completely different concept nowadays.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    ozaddick said:

Croydon said:

Just console yourself with the fact that the Britain in those videos doesn't really exist (unless we're hosting the Olympics !).
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

PL54 said:

It was British. Back in the days "for King and country". That's not the case anymore.

My History isn't the greatest but that all changed with Immigration post WW2. The first major Influx of Immigration was from Poland after the war, in 1948 over 150,000 were allowed to settle in the UK. The government then offered the West Indians to settle on mass, with promises of employment.

Your history isn't great I agree : - )

Waves and waves and waves of immigration before WWII, WWI, the Boer War, the Crimean War..........the Battle of Agincourt, the battle of Hastings, the Roman invasion.
  • Options
    I have to say I think the anthem is absolutely terrible, and it's not even English. I'm from New Zealand originally and "God Save The Queen" was our anthem when I was growing up. Nowadays they've got an equally terrible anthem which is at least specific to New Zealand, and sounds slightly less awful when sung in Maori.

I dread the times in England games when the supporters roll out that awful dirge and I temporarily lose the will to live.

It's probably why I fanatically avoid the pre-game rituals whenever I watch England or New Zealand play any sport. I don't mind missing the first couple of minutes, just to be on the safe side...
  • Options
    Our national anthem is a good match for team.....unfortunately!
  • Options

ozaddick said:

PL54 said:

Waves and waves and waves of immigration before WWII, WWI, the Boer War, the Crimean War..........the Battle of Agincourt, the battle of Hastings, the Roman invasion.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    BDL said:

Billy Connolly had it right.......

Altogether now.... ( to the theme of the Archers )

Rum tee tum tee rum tee tum rum tee tum tee tum tumm.....

Someone on the radio the other day suggested Sham 69's Hurry Up Harry.
  • Options

ozaddick said:

PL54 said:

Told you Henry! ;)

• Options
    se9addick said:

ozaddick said:

Croydon said:

Just console yourself with the fact that the Britain in those videos doesn't really exist (unless we're hosting the Olympics !).
    Well aware of that mate, I Grew up in the Cray! ;)
  • Options
    Bump.
    Personally dont see why we should sing about one of the descendants of the biggest thugs of 400 years ago.
    Should have an anthem based on The People and/or The Land - like France and virtually every other country.
  • Options
    Our national anthem is rubbish, but is a good match for the team!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Our national anthem is rubbish, but is a good match for the team!

At least you are consistent you said exactly the same just over a year ago on this thread!
  • Options
    It is more to do with the national team being consistent I fear!
  • Options
    Thats why we played so rubbish!, we want to make sure its only forced upon everyone in Brazil just one more time.
  • Options
    We've been playing the wrong version.........................
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUH2YSFlVU
  • Options
    Maybe it just needs some backing dancers in using moves which involve flash dance mixed with some MC Hammer shit, ala David Brent.
  • Options
    Ask Robert Elms, am sure he'll have an opinion.
  • Options
    Dirge.
  • Options
    It should be Land of Hope and Glory minus the glory.
  • Options
    I don't mind GSTQ at all but I wish we'd do all five verses at sporting events - if only to see Rooney struggling to remember the words and to wind up some of the other nations that have over-long anthems.
    I like it that as a country we are so self-assured that we don't have an official national anthem nor bother to put the name of our country on our postage stamps.
    It, too, amuses me that the Yanks just borrowed the tune and added their own lyrics for their national anthem My Country, 'Tis Of Thee which was only replaced by The Star-Spangled Banner in 1931. It probably goes without saying that that tune, too, was borrowed from elsewhere and was written by a Brit.
  • Options
    glad this has been bumped, our national anthem, like our team, shite.