Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brazil v England, 2nd June, 2013.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2013

Interestingly enough, Oxlade-Chamberlain's dad, Mark Chamberlain, also played in that 1984 game.

He's speaking on the wireless now.
    He fell asleep during the game and missed his boy's goal!
  • Options

USA 4 v Deutschland 3 .. a night of surprises

German squad was even more depleted than ours. No Bayern players.

• Options
    Neither team looked world-class.

Need a lot of improvement for next year.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Don't think we can get too much better. We just don't have the players. As someone said above, England are a bit like Stoke and you don't expect Stoke to win the Premier League.
  • Options

meldrew66 said:

Gutted for Darren Bent that he is not even in the picture here. Travesty.

Darren needed that elusive move to one of the big boys for his international career to lift off. His time at Spurs was a disaster and for whatever reason Harry didn't like him. I genuinely believe that if one of the big boys had taken him on he would have fifty caps by now.

He has had plenty of chances at a series of Premiership clubs and for England. He simply is not as good as a lot of Rosé-tinted-spectacle wearing Charlton fans want to believe.
    Bents EPL record is 240 games, 102 goals. Think you need to get your spectacles repaired.
    Just looked at his wiki page. Don't think he could be accused of being a prolific scorer! Since he left Charlton he has only got to double figures in one season I think. Despite always being his side's main penalty taker.
    I'm aware you're on the wind up but I suggest you go back and have another look. Blokes record stands up against everyone except the very best.
    One goal every 2.4 games is prolific by any standard.

• Options

meldrew66 said:

Darren needed that elusive move to one of the big boys for his international career to lift off. His time at Spurs was a disaster and for whatever reason Harry didn't like him. I genuinely believe that if one of the big boys had taken him on he would have fifty caps by now.

He has had plenty of chances at a series of Premiership clubs and for England. He simply is not as good as a lot of Rosé-tinted-spectacle wearing Charlton fans want to believe.
    Bents EPL record is 240 games, 102 goals. Think you need to get your spectacles repaired.
    Just looked at his wiki page. Don't think he could be accused of being a prolific scorer! Since he left Charlton he has only got to double figures in one season I think. Despite always being his side's main penalty taker.
    Come on, admit it. Who's dug this moron up? Bent not prolific!? Averaged comfortably more than ONE in TWO at Sunderland, and despite being royally mugged off at Villa and making many a substitute appearance, he's still got 21 in 54 for God's sake.
  • Options

meldrew66 said:

I'm aware you're on the wind up but I suggest you go back and have another look. Blokes record stands up against everyone except the very best.
    One goal every 2.35 games is prolific by any standard.

Didier Drogba's EPL record for Chelsea was one goal every 2.26 games. DB won't go down as one of the great goalscorers but he was / is prolific.

• Options

meldrew66 said:

Come on, admit it. Who's dug this moron up?
    Ok dick head, look at the fan forums of the teams he has played for since he left Charlton and I think you will find he is not universally regarded as one of the best strikers to have graced the Premier league over the last 5 years. Like those fans I have been disappointed with Bent over recent years. Maybe it is just the case that every other football fan is a moron except you!

Sorry for expressing an opinion that doesn't meet with your approval.

• Options
    edited June 2013

meldrew66 said:

Come on, admit it. Who's dug this moron up?
    Ok dick head, look at the fan forums of the teams he has played for since he left Charlton and I think you will find he is not universally regarded as one of the best strikers to have graced the Premier league over the last 5 years. Like those fans I have been disappointed with Bent over recent years. Maybe it is just the case that every other football fan is a moron except you!

Sorry for expressing an opinion that doesn't meet with your approval.

So still nobody's owning up? Fair enough. Any more other unfounded claims about statistically excellent strikers chump? That Henry fellow was always overrated too, I thought.

You can't be a Charlton fan.

To clarify, no, I don't regard every football fan as a moron. Certainly, most fans I know regard Bent very highly with both Arsenal and Spurs fans I know (yeah, Spurs) saying they'd have him in their team even NOW.
  • Options
    Unfortunately bents career has gone downhill, injuries haven't helped. Fancy him to get back to the top of his game and get 20+ if he has a full season with a club like Fulham
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think he is prolific. 15 goals a season for a striker that takes penalties isn't exactly prolific. He is a good honest forward, some will like him some won't. He's never going to set the world on fire but he can score. Not sure there's a need for name calling just because of different opinions.
  • Options
    Point taken Unc, but he certainly set the Prem alight in 2010: http://www.worldfootball.net/torjaeger/eng-premier-league-2009-2010/

Also managed 17 the year after. Hardly any pens either. He has it in him, but he needs to play in a team where he can sit on the last shoulder.
  • Options
    He just seemed to miss that big break. Being in the right place at the right time, 2009-2010 is 4 years ago now, thats a long time in the life of a striker. That being said, I wouldn't be upset to see him at West Ham. Like I said, good honest forward.
  • Options
    Not sure why but I thought that any striker that averages 1 in 3 is top notch. I thought that was the marker.
  • Options
    It is, and according to Wikipedia he has 13 England caps and 4 goals. It's the rest of his game that isn't quite good enough for a top club.
  • Options
    Good result for England.

How on earth does Glen Johnson STILL get in this team regularly though?!
  • Options
    He plays for Liverpool. That's basically it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Scoham said:

It is, and according to Wikipedia he has 13 England caps and 4 goals. It's the rest of his game that isn't quite good enough for a top club.

If Bent had not played for us he would never ever have been mentioned on here. Very average Premiership player.
    Before anyone accuses me of trying to be on a wind-up, it has always been my opinion of him and have made my thoughts known on here and elsewhere; under many different names.
  • Options
    Stick to the cricket