Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relocate the away fans?

Comments

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:

I may be the only one here, but I dont like having the away fans behind a goal. I feel that having the away team attacking a goal with their fans behind it can give them an advantage, act like a "12th man" for them. Seeing a ton of late goals scored by away teams in front of their fans last season is the evidence of this for me, although our defence didnt help at times either!

Many away grounds Ive been to have put the away fans in one of the stands running along the sides of the pitch, which means the home team is attacking a goal with their own fans behind it in both halfs. Im not sure what would work best, maybe give up half of the West Stand to away supporters and try and fill as much of the Jimmy Seed stand with our own as possible.

Just a thought but I think it would make for an interesting discussion at least.

Personally I don't like the way away fans are shunted up into the gods, or away from the goals to stop them out singing the home supporters. If 3 sides of a ground can't out sing the away end, then sticking home supporters at both ends is unlikely to improve things.

Thinking about it, when we first returned to The Valley, we had home supporters at both ends, and away supporters were allocated part of the prefab West Stand. I don;'t recall any segregation problems then.
  • Options
    Wouldnt matter if they built a 10000 seater for away fans in the Jimmy Seed stand, theres still far more home fans in the home areas. The thing is to wake uo the living dead in the other 3 stands
  • Options

Wouldnt matter if they built a 10000 seater for away fans in the Jimmy Seed stand, theres still far more home fans in the home areas. The thing is to wake uo the living dead in the other 3 stands

A study was conducted several years ago into the silent occupents of The West stand and it was concluded that they are in fact 'The Dead Living.' Confusion is often made between this sub-species and the 'Deceased Alive.' The 'Deceased Alive' show all normal respiratory and psysiological function although they appear to be dead. It was at first thought that members of The West Stand fell into this category. Upon further study it was concluded that their respiration was too slow to be categorised as such and as a result they were classed as 'Dead Living.' Debate on the matter is still ongoing due to small volumes of excitement being detected at the end of last season.

The Sam Bartram statue is going to be used in the 2013/14 season as a control. Please do not be disturbed when you first see it connected to pulse oximeters.
  • Options
    I think the valley is quite good for atmosphere, certainly better than most away grounds I've been too.
  • Options
    Watford, Palace and Fulham in the past 2 seasons have been particularly shit for atmosphere, definitely worse than us
  • Options
    The problem is the you can't hear the upper north singing when you sit down in the Jimmy Seed stand. The end of the east stand and west need a singing block.... It might help to liven up the stands...The West is a joke...Its all zimmer frames and mutes in there
  • Options
    Bob22 said:

The problem is the you can't hear the upper north singing when you sit down in the Jimmy Seed stand. The end of the east stand and west need a singing block.... It might help to liven up the stands...The West is a joke...Its all zimmer frames and mutes in there

Yeah, the West is a joke. Full of people paying top dollar to susidise the great unwashed in the North.
  • Options
    It's full of old mums with tattoos.
  • Options
    Leave them in the South...but take the roof off.
  • Options
    The lower north has a different entrance and your penned in once there. I would move to Jimmy Seed, to many numptys in the north upper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boom said:

It's full of old mums with tattoos.

That's Plumstead!!!!
  • Options
    Was looked into when I was on the FF...we suggested giving the first two blocks of the west stand closest to the south stand in their entirety (Upper and lower) to away support. Segregation coming out of the ground could have been made easy by the erection of a fence in the west stand car park and the existin fence leading up to the South stand. The existing turnstyles could have then been utilised. Entrance and exit to the south could have been made via the Bartram gate and the east stand. Wouldnt have upset too many West standers as there arent many who use that end of the stand anyway. There wasnt any real will to look into this and do some costings and consult the relevant authorities...all seemed a bit too much like hard work so didnt get any further than the usual speel of cant be done etc etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    TEL said:

Was looked into when I was on the FF...we suggested giving the first two blocks of the west stand closest to the south stand in their entirety (Upper and lower) to away support. Segregation coming out of the ground could have been made easy by the erection of a fence in the west stand car park and the existin fence leading up to the South stand. The existing turnstyles could have then been utilised. Entrance and exit to the south could have been made via the Bartram gate and the east stand. Wouldnt have upset too many West standers as there arent many who use that end of the stand anyway. There wasnt any real will to look into this and do some costings and consult the relevant authorities...all seemed a bit too much like hard work so didnt get any further than the usual speel of cant be done etc etc.

The thing is, what's the reason FOR it?

Am always reading various "ideas" on here about people wanting to change things - the badge, the red red robin, where the away fans are housed, etc - but very few plausible reasons why things SHOULD be changed.

Splitting the away fans into two sections of the ground sounds like madness to me. There's no direct access between West Upper and Lower. It just doesn't make any sense when they are currently all house together in one place. Don't need to do any costings to see that. No wonder nobody seemed interested.
  • Options
    I think that what bothers people is that the Jimmy Seed seems to project the noise very well, and so people think we give away supporters more encouragement than at other grounds. Certainly it seems that way to me when watching on TV. But yes it would be complicated to resolve given our current status, and a long way down the list of priorities.

I'd perhaps look at the microphone placement. That isn't expensive.
  • Options
    I've got a simple suggestion. Get Charlton supporters to sing. That's the "elephant in the room".

If we swapped ends, everyone would be saying the acoustics are so much better in The North.
  • Options
    I would coat the whole stand in sponge, sound would decrease and no-one would ever get hurt, so policing cost would come down. Plus sponge is pretty cheap
  • Options

I've got a simple suggestion. Get Charlton supporters to sing. That's the "elephant in the room".

If we swapped ends, everyone would be saying the acoustics are so much better in The North.

Very funny, and horribly true.

• Options
    sam3110 said:

I would coat the whole stand in sponge, sound would decrease and no-one would ever get hurt, so policing cost would come down. Plus sponge is pretty cheap

Jam or golden syrup?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Like many have said, it's been discussed to death many time. It would be a great idea, and was part of the expansion to 40k plan, putting away fans in the new SW (or was it SE?) corner. So until we get to the Prem, and that plan ressurected, it won't happen unfortunately.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

TEL said:

The thing is, what's the reason FOR it?

Am always reading various "ideas" on here about people wanting to change things - the badge, the red red robin, where the away fans are housed, etc - but very few plausible reasons why things SHOULD be changed.

Splitting the away fans into two sections of the ground sounds like madness to me. There's no direct access between West Upper and Lower. It just doesn't make any sense when they are currently all house together in one place. Don't need to do any costings to see that. No wonder nobody seemed interested.
    Pretty simple explanation here Off It.....of all the questions asked of the Forum whilst I was there, this was the most popular request.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think that what bothers people is that the Jimmy Seed seems to project the noise very well, and so people think we give away supporters more encouragement than at other grounds. Certainly it seems that way to me when watching on TV. But yes it would be complicated to resolve given our current status, and a long way down the list of priorities.

I'd perhaps look at the microphone placement. That isn't expensive.

Apparently they have tried various positions...was looked at Whilst SW was CEO
  • Options
    Most popular request from how many people?
  • Options

Exactly , spot on CE
    Its the nature of the beast that when you go to an away game you're more "up for it"

• Options
    Off_it said:

Most popular request from how many people?

Does it matter?
    Most popular is most popular.
    Am sure it was more than 3 and less than 27000
  • Options

cafcjoe said:

Upper west, send em there then we can have own fans in jimmy seed

Really? Sorry but you've not really thought that one through.

Can you imagine the secregation issues getting fans in and out let alone during the game when you have 3000k Leeds/Millwall/whoever fans sitting behind the press box and above Charlton fans?

All to free up a stand I doubt many fans want to sit in anyway.
    You can put the away fans in an upper stand if you volunteer to sit beneath them...
  • Options
    Simon E said:

Like many have said, it's been discussed to death many time. It would be a great idea, and was part of the expansion to 40k plan, putting away fans in the new SW (or was it SE?) corner. So until we get to the Prem, and that plan ressurected, it won't happen unfortunately.

Has anyone checked to see if they have it as part of the Greenwich Peninsular plans...
  • Options
    Maybe home support should try singing a bit more in the East and West?

Away supporters generally are loud, that's just how it is.
  • Options
    DRF said:

cafcjoe said:

Upper west, send em there then we can have own fans in jimmy seed

Really? Sorry but you've not really thought that one through.

Can you imagine the secregation issues getting fans in and out let alone during the game when you have 3000k Leeds/Millwall/whoever fans sitting behind the press box and above Charlton fans?

All to free up a stand I doubt many fans want to sit in anyway.
    You can put the away fans in an upper stand if you volunteer to sit beneath them...
    Agree but that's what always happen. It's always someone else who has to give their seats up or be inconvenienced, never those proposing the shift. NIMBY attitude.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Well the best plan seems to be wait for promotion to the prem, stay there, then finish off the Valley upgrade sometime over the next few years, and finally stick the away fans in one of the South Quadrants.

Done. Awesome. Thread closed.
  • Options
    You go to pretty much any ground in the country and away fans will generally sing more than the home fans while the game is in the balance.

Not sure why we always feel like its exclusively a Charlton problem.