Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relocate the away fans?

13»

Comments

• Options

You go to pretty much any ground in the country and away fans will generally sing more than the home fans while the game is in the balance.

Not sure why we always feel like its exclusively a Charlton problem.

Because no one goes to away games. :-D
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited June 2013

DRF said:

cafcjoe said:

Upper west, send em there then we can have own fans in jimmy seed

Really? Sorry but you've not really thought that one through.

Can you imagine the secregation issues getting fans in and out let alone during the game when you have 3000k Leeds/Millwall/whoever fans sitting behind the press box and above Charlton fans?

All to free up a stand I doubt many fans want to sit in anyway.
    You can put the away fans in an upper stand if you volunteer to sit beneath them...
    Agree but that's what always happen. It's always someone else who has to give their seats up or be inconvenienced, never those proposing the shift. NIMBY attitude.
    I didn't mean as in I don't want to give up my seat (which is obviously a valid point), I mean as in if away fans are above home fans then it is guaranteed that said home supporters will be pissed on / spat on / targeted by missiles and would he like to volunteer to sit through that shower?
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited June 2013
    CAFCTrev said:

Well the best plan seems to be wait for promotion to the prem, stay there, then finish off the Valley upgrade sometime over the next few years, and finally stick the away fans in one of the South Quadrants.

Done. Awesome. Thread closed.

I thought we couldn't actually do this now either, because of selling the land that would have been used?
  • Options
    DRF said:

CAFCTrev said:

Well the best plan seems to be wait for promotion to the prem, stay there, then finish off the Valley upgrade sometime over the next few years, and finally stick the away fans in one of the South Quadrants.

Done. Awesome. Thread closed.

I thought we couldn't actually do this now either, because of selling the land that would have been used?
    Yeah and this was part of the issue with the flats that were going to be built as part of the project. Presumably if we stayed top 10 in the Prem to this day, we would have fought to get this upgrade done, but its a hard sell when the Valley only gets 2/3rds full in the 2nd tier of English footy....

The artist impression of a completed Valley looked amazing though....
  • Options
    Pardew tried getting the away fans relocated whilst with us but as people have said on here, policing becomes more complicated. Imagine Scumwall fans in the same stand?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The "evidence" of away fans being behind the goal improving the performance of away sides is flimsy at best. Correlation (if there even is one!) does not imply causation.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Off_it said:

Most popular request from how many people?

Does it matter?
    Most popular is most popular.
    Am sure it was more than 3 and less than 27000
    How odd. Of course it matters.

If it was just three people then you wouldn't take it seriously. If it was 1000 then you might if it represented a major groundswell of opinion. I thought that's what the FF was for?

. I don't have that info, so was just asking.
  • Options
    I like the idea but my worry is that if it didnt get that many fans in then it will look a bit stupid compared to at the moment if a stand doesnt fill it isnt as bad because the stand is longer and doesnt look as bad
  • Options

Wouldnt matter if they built a 10000 seater for away fans in the Jimmy Seed stand, theres still far more home fans in the home areas. The thing is to wake uo the living dead in the other 3 stands

A study was conducted several years ago into the silent occupents of The West stand and it was concluded that they are in fact 'The Dead Living.' Confusion is often made between this sub-species and the 'Deceased Alive.' The 'Deceased Alive' show all normal respiratory and psysiological function although they appear to be dead. It was at first thought that members of The West Stand fell into this category. Upon further study it was concluded that their respiration was too slow to be categorised as such and as a result they were classed as 'Dead Living.' Debate on the matter is still ongoing due to small volumes of excitement being detected at the end of last season.

The Sam Bartram statue is going to be used in the 2013/14 season as a control. Please do not be disturbed when you first see it connected to pulse oximeters.
    I like the sound of a pulse oximeter. If it were connected to a person of low intelligence, would he be classed as an oxymoron?

• Options
    Mate of mine came to the Wolves game and was somewhat bemused as to why so many people were congregated in the corner outside the Jimmy Seed. Told her it was so they could get a beer. Suitably Irish reposte. West upper ain't great, but there are better away ends in League 2 than ours. As for tradition - and Pardew
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2013
  • Options

Wouldnt matter if they built a 10000 seater for away fans in the Jimmy Seed stand, theres still far more home fans in the home areas. The thing is to wake uo the living dead in the other 3 stands

A study was conducted several years ago into the silent occupents of The West stand and it was concluded that they are in fact 'The Dead Living.' Confusion is often made between this sub-species and the 'Deceased Alive.' The 'Deceased Alive' show all normal respiratory and psysiological function although they appear to be dead. It was at first thought that members of The West Stand fell into this category. Upon further study it was concluded that their respiration was too slow to be categorised as such and as a result they were classed as 'Dead Living.' Debate on the matter is still ongoing due to small volumes of excitement being detected at the end of last season.

The Sam Bartram statue is going to be used in the 2013/14 season as a control. Please do not be disturbed when you first see it connected to pulse oximeters.
    I like the sound of a pulse oximeter. If it were connected to a person of low intelligence, would he be classed as an oxymoron?

Evolution has indeed played some cruel tricks. I can confirm that in the Upper West where I sit, amongst my fellow "Dead Living", yet another sub-species is fairly common. This is the "Brain Dead". However, my guess is that this species is often also found in other parts of the Ground!!
  • Options
    do away with the control room and or build a temporary stand over it (or incorporate it)

:)
  • Options
    edited June 2013

• Options
    Mundell, I think you've made a couple of good points.
  • Options

Mundell, I think you've made a couple of good points.

Brilliant!

• Options
    Probably for the first time and completely by accident too.......
  • Options
    Keep the away fans where they are now, it makes sense. The biggest issue I have is all the empty seats in the north lower. Always looks odd when upstairs is full. When you see the players score at that end they hardly get mobbed do they. I know the pricing policy doesn't help but it seems such a shame that the area closest to the action has more than their fair share of empty seats.
  • Options

cafcjoe said:

Upper west, send em there then we can have own fans in jimmy seed

Really? Sorry but you've not really thought that one through.

Can you imagine the secregation issues getting fans in and out let alone during the game when you have 3000k Leeds/Millwall/whoever fans sitting behind the press box and above Charlton fans?

All to free up a stand I doubt many fans want to sit in anyway.
    Nah I didn't really
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se7oaks said:

Keep the away fans where they are now, it makes sense. The biggest issue I have is all the empty seats in the north lower. Always looks odd when upstairs is full. When you see the players score at that end they hardly get mobbed do they. I know the pricing policy doesn't help but it seems such a shame that the area closest to the action has more than their fair share of empty seats.

It looks odd on the telly when we have 20,000+ crowd sometimes only for it to look empty due to the sparsely populated north lower.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The issue isn't just segregation, it's also access to toilets for both sexes and adequate refreshment facilities, but if you put away fans in the lower west you would also be putting hospitality boxes in the away end. In reality we have a stand that currently works very well for managing away supporters on most counts and which few home supporters would prefer to use. It would make no sense whatsoever to change that for a situation where there would be numerous practical issues, displaced and disaffected season-ticket holders, increased policing and stewarding charges, and significant capital cost - even if the police would agree it.
  • Options

The issue isn't just segregation, it's also access to toilets for both sexes and adequate refreshment facilities, but if you put away fans in the lower west you would also be putting hospitality boxes in the away end. In reality we have a stand that currently works very well for managing away supporters on most counts and which few home supporters would prefer to use. It would make no sense whatsoever to change that for a situation where there would be numerous practical issues, displaced and disaffected season-ticket holders, increased policing and stewarding charges, and significant capital cost - even if the police would agree it.

Assuming there are no plans for us to move away from the Valley, are there plans to rebuild the Jimmy Seed? Obviously finances would need to change.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Assuming there are no plans for us to move away from the Valley, are there plans to rebuild the Jimmy Seed? Obviously finances would need to change.
    There was a scheme, but it will be compromised by the Lansdowne Mews issues. I think it's academic for the foreseeable future though.