Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Champions Trophy (cricket)

Comments

• That is some seriously poor tail end batting
  • Extra's and the 4 over throws. Typical England, still the home crowd have gone home happy.
  • Croydon said:

That is some seriously poor tail end batting

Hmmm. What about Cook though ? Hasn't exactly covered himself in glory with the bat recently, inc today...

• edited June 2013

Extra's and the 4 over throws. Typical England, still the home crowd have gone home happy.

lol
  • Morgan shocking, Butler Woeful and Bresnan just plain stupid. Bopara slightly unlucky. an international team to falling apart like that is quite frankly pathetic.
  • Broad (as usual) bowled 2 crap short balls that were spanked for 6 & I said at the time they may well cost us.
    I know it's not as simple as that & we could come up with a dozen reasons, but even so ......
  • Morgan shocking, Butler Woeful and Bresnan just plain stupid. Bopara slightly unlucky. an international team to falling apart like that is quite frankly pathetic.

Agreed. Loss of braincells or bottle to blame
  • Been a decent tournament, enjoyed what I've seen and shame a true game for the final didn't get to be played
  • edited June 2013

Broad (as usual) bowled 2 crap short balls that were spanked for 6 & I said at the time they may well cost us.
    I know it's not as simple as that & we could come up with a dozen reasons, but even so ......

Thats harsh, Broad bowled really well. Bresnan...................Hmmmm!

That Jadaja's got a wicked Indian film villain moustache.
  • Shame about the finish. Entertaining tournament though.

On a side note, am I the only one who gets a bit irritated by how Nasser Hussein became an India supporter as soon as he retired? I know he has an Indian background, but he always seems to be almost cheering them on even when they play England. (The country he captained.)
  • Sponsored links:

• It's sad when the away team has the bigger crowd. Where's our home advantage? Pathetic.
  • RZA said:

It's sad when the away team has the bigger crowd. Where's our home advantage? Pathetic.

This.
  • boogica said:

RZA said:

It's sad when the away team has the bigger crowd. Where's our home advantage? Pathetic.

This.
    On the plus side, Norman Tebbit will be livid
  • RZA said:

If you've been to Birmingham in the last 10 years, you'd know they were at home.
  • RZA said:

Works both ways. Ever seen England in the West Indies?

• Riviera said:

RZA said:

Not 80% of a 25k crowd and they were flying home after a couple of weeks.
  • B to the O to the L to the L to the O to the C to the K to the S!!!
  • 5 poxy runs.
    India won 7 out of 7 so full credit to them. Bring on the ashes.
  • Riviera said:

RZA said:

What's the point in going on about the crowd? The demographic in Birmingham pretty much guarantees when India or Pakistan are playing, there will be massive support for them. English fans had the opportunity to but tickets, and didn't. Why go on about it?
  • Riviera said:

RZA said:

What's the point in going on about the crowd? The demographic in Birmingham pretty much guarantees when India or Pakistan are playing, there will be massive support for them. English fans had the opportunity to but tickets, and didn't. Why go on about it?
    Calm down. It's just sad that a cricket game involving England, being played in England can only get 20% English fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• RZA said:

Riviera said:

RZA said:

Calm down. It's just sad that a cricket game involving England, being played in England can only get 20% English fans.
    It's because the English fans are more concerned about the Ashes, and anyway assumed we would be rubbish in the Champions Trophy, which nobody here (before the tournament) was bothered about.

I was up at Edgbaston 2 years ago to see England beat India in the Test series and that crowd had probably 5% Indian support at most!
  • Cliché time folks .. 'England Snatch Defeat From the Jaws of Victory'
  • edited June 2013
    Playing 20-20 with a 50 overs team against a team that have more 20-20 ability was clearly not the best. Bowlers did well and we were a bit unfortunate that the pitch favoured spin and we were playing India. Still came down to small margins – a bit of slack fielding lost us the runs we needed! Having said that, with the amount of runs we had to get, I think we would have been better having players starting the innings that can keep the scoreboard ticking over without trying too hard like Bopara, Morgan and Butler.

Cheating 4th umpire didn't help either. How he could give Bell as out - has to be something wrong somewhere!!!!
  • Shame but we always have a collapse.

Least those paying fans got some cricket.
  • Can anybody, who may be a bit more knowledgable than me explain how that Aussie Umpire could give Bell out though? As an advocate of technology in football, it is a worry when officials who see the video evidence over and over again can make clearly wrong calls!!!!!
  • edited June 2013

Can anybody, who may be a bit more knowledgable than me explain how that Aussie Umpire could give Bell out though? As an advocate of technology in football, it is a worry when officials who see the video evidence over and over again can make clearly wrong calls!!!!!

easy .. EVERYBODY hates the English, especially Umpires descended from deported criminals (:->), there was a similar incident in last night's U20 R U World Cup final .. a French replay official and a Kiwi referee, in fact two instances where the officials got the result 100% wrong .. even the SSports commentator was flabbergasted at the decisions, the commentator was Welsh and we were playing Wales !!
  • Can anybody, who may be a bit more knowledgable than me explain how that Aussie Umpire could give Bell out though? As an advocate of technology in football, it is a worry when officials who see the video evidence over and over again can make clearly wrong calls!!!!!

I think he called it too soon. On the original slow mo viewing he did look out. But then viewed from the other side he didn't. I think he called it before seeing the 2nd view. There was doubt so it had to be not out.

The technology used in cricket - particularly hawkeye is very good, certainly not foolproof, but it cuts out the most obvious errors. Bear in mind that technology still needs a fallible human to operate and interpret the data.

Why Bell was given out though I'm not sure, the umpire should only give a batsman out when he's 100% convinced - any margin of error should be given in the batsman's favour. Personally I think he made the decision based on what he thought was happening rather than what did happen.
  • edited June 2013

Can anybody, who may be a bit more knowledgable than me explain how that Aussie Umpire could give Bell out though? As an advocate of technology in football, it is a worry when officials who see the video evidence over and over again can make clearly wrong calls!!!!!

I think he called it too soon. On the original slow mo viewing he did look out. But then viewed from the other side he didn't. I think he called it before seeing the 2nd view. There was doubt so it had to be not out.
    You have to worry, if he can't do what is a relatively simple job in a FINAL. Is he likely to be dropped over that? I think personally, a dislike for the English must come into it in all sports - even if it is on a subconcious level!

You have to worry, if he can't do what is a relatively simple job in a FINAL. Is he likely to be dropped over that? I think personally, a dislike for the English must come into it in all sports - even if it is on a subconcious level!
    As time was running out due to the weather & not helped by constant 3rd umpire viewings, I think he just rushed his decision a little. Dropped ? Who knows.