Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champions Trophy (cricket)

Big one is tomorrow: England v Australia at Edgbaston but already been a game yesterday in Cardiff (India beat South Africa) and one today at the Oval between Pakistan and West Indies.

Should be a good tournament, no "weak" nations taking part. Just the main eight test playing nations.

Group A: England, Australia, NZ, Sri Lanka
Group B: India, South Africa, West Indies, Pakistan

Comments

• Options
    No weak nations? Australia?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Apart from the Aussies! ;-)
  • Options
    good game a t m .. Windies v Pakistan .. fast oval pitch .. Windies having trouble chasing 171 .. Irfan, Pak fast bowler is 7 foot 1 inch tall and causing a lot of trouble
  • Options
    WI 81-4, need 90 more to win.
  • Options
    Turned into a decent match. Thought WI would walk this after Pakistan only set them 171 to win.

162-7 with 11 overs to go. They should still get there but must've been worried at 143-7.
  • Options
    165-8...
  • Options
    WI win by two wickets. A lot closer than it should've been!
  • Options
    good game .. the windies could win this tournament
  • Options
    Michael Clark out for Australia tomorrow...
  • Options
    I've got tickets to Aussies v Sri Lanka at the Oval
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    having a family day out at sri lanka v new zealand on sunday
  • Options
    great start... UP THE POMS!
  • Options
    there are just so many left arm bowlers amongst the various teams
  • Options
    Australia need 270 win at 5.58 runs an over.

Bopara adds a brisk 46 to make the score respectable.

Bell hit 91 one with back to back 50's but that ton after good starts is ever elusive.

Old-fashioned tactics to say the least for England. It is unfair to rely on Morgan, Bopara, Buttler and co to get us up to a par score. I feel England need to move on with the times with regards to the batting. I'm not sure you can particularly change the order, can you drop the captain, someone with back to back fifties and someone who averages over 50 in ODI's at one, two and three.

Anyway, a respectable total if not inspiring ... Let's see if we can defend it.
  • Options
    Well played Ravi and Bresnan.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Australia 63-2 after 20 overs and going nowhere at the moment. Bopara and Root just coming on for a bowl.
  • Options
    3 down Root gets Hughes LBW
  • Options
    Not too sure about the tactic of loading the batting at the expense of the bowling, and then batting slowly. Root though has done a good job so far of being the fifth bowler, but Bopara was expensive.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    136-6, 36 overs. Two wickets in an over for Jimmy Anderson.

134 required from 84 balls.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Mitchell Johnson ALMOST run out without facing a ball but survives. Edgbaston crowd serenading him haha.

152-7 39.3 overs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    175-8 in the 43rd over. Mitchell Johnson balloons a full toss for a comfortable catch. :-)
  • Options
    Australia finish on 221-9. England win by 48 runs.
  • Options
    good win but the Aussies stank the place out .. I have not seen such a gutless, inept performance from them for years, if ever
  • Options
    And Mitch's haircut is awful.
  • Options

good win but the Aussies stank the place out .. I have not seen such a gutless, inept performance from them for years, if ever

You don't remember the 1983 World Cup over here then? They were atrocious.

Sure we should have scored more runs but I knew 269 was always going to be enough. Without Clarke they just have no backbone.

I'm struggling with our selection and tatics in this summers ODI's. Morgan is not up to the job. Dernbach is not an international bowler, well maybe just for 20/20. Why oh why do we continue to ignore Matt Prior for shorter forms of the game?
    And the way we are batting seems very strange. It's all very well setting a platform for a dash at the end but we should be more positive from the off, once Cook was out we slowed down again. It proved today that you cannot rely on getting 75 off the last five overs every match. We seem to be so far behind the rest of world still in one day cricket.
    I just don't get what qualifications Ashley Giles has to be in charge of our one day teams? He must to be blame for our shortcomings.
    I'm no fan of ODI's generally but this tournament is different. No minnows, no pointless games, no ridiculous second phases or Super Sixes etc. Every match matters and it's all done and dusted in a couple of weeks.
    Been impressed with India's batting and Pakistans bowling so far. They play it each other next Saturday at Edgbaston, should be a cracking atmosphere.
    I'm going to a few Oval games.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    The batting worries me too - they built a platform but didn't really capitalise. They bowled superbly but there are a few teams that will get 300 plus on more than one occasion in this competition, and not sure we are one of them. Hopefully they won't get it against us as we are unlikely to respond!
  • Options
    I'm not expecting us to do anything in this tournament and am not really worried if we do or not. Having said that it's such a short tournament that we have a chance.
    It was important to win today and overall we looked in a different league to the
    Aussies. The real stuff starts on July 10th.
  • Options
    Without KP England have batting one-four similar batsmen - accumulators. In the modern ODI game you need a pinch hitter in there somewhere, unfortunately trying Kieswetter and one or two others alongside the opener failed more often than it has succeeded. As I mention upthread - England's strategy seems to play four front line bowlers and make up the fifth from a bit of Root, Trott, Bopara etc, the trade off is that the batting is loaded - but if you don't score quickly enough then you risk defending a below par total. Even if you do score enough runs - then four front line bowlers have too much to do - if one doesn't quite deliver, or if one of the fifth bowlers gets chased around the park then you are in trouble. England got away with it today...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    We have the batsmen, Bairstow for example and of course Matt Prior. Then Morgan is supposed to be one too. It is also the tactics. Ian Bell is not playing his natural game. One of my major criticisms of England over the last 10 years is that they, or the coaches, are too rigid in sticking to plans. Of course we have had a lot of success through the likes of Fletcher and Flower and Strauss and Cook but we formulate plans and stick to them 100%. They work a lot but when things go wrong we never move away from our plan. I think Giles has formulated a plan and it's not working regarding the batting but he won't change. When was the last time we changed the batting order from what was on the scorecard?
  • Options
    Yes, when so much works and goes right, it doesn't mean you still can't improve on things.