Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Milkman

Comments

• Options
    Pmsl
  • Options
    WTF has that got to do with the disappearing milkmen of the UK !!!!!!!
  • Options

WTF has that got to do with the disappearing milkmen of the UK !!!!!!!

Here's your answer.

http://youtu.be/Q9YL0yHohts
  • Options
    Who had the fastest milkfloat in the west and who was his foe in the song ?

For a bonus point who sang it and no googling
  • Options
    Kevin Read still does a milk round in Spitalfields, Whitechapel and Bethnal Green. For several articles and photos, go to www.spitalfieldslife.com and type 'Kevin the Milkman' in the search box.
  • Options

Who had the fastest milkfloat in the west and who was his foe in the song ?

For a bonus point who sang it and no googling

earnie and ?
    benny hill

• Options
    2 out of 3
  • Options
    Two ton Ted from Teddington?
  • Options

Kevin Read still does a milk round in Spitalfields, Whitechapel and Bethnal Green. For several articles and photos, go to www.spitalfieldslife.com and type 'Kevin the Milkman' in the search box.

My nan and grandad owned the dairy that covered that area back in the 60s. My grandad probably did his round !
  • Options
    Correct GA

For an aditional point

What killed earnie
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My nan and grandad owned the dairy that covered that area back in the 60s. My grandad probably did his round !
    Nice one, AFKA. Spitalfields Life is an excellent site: you can subscribe to receive a daily posting - invariably interesting - or trawl the archives for good stories and old photos.

• Options
    My dad used to work down Spitafields market before taking up cabbing. Always regretted leaving the market. Cheers viewfinder, will check that out
  • Options

Correct GA

For an aditional point

What killed earnie

Pie between the eyes?
  • Options
    My next door neighbour is a milkman. Dunno how much they charge these days, but a lot more than the one quid for four pints at supermarket.
  • Options
    I used to be married to a milkman.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Milk float hit my car the other week. Made an insurance claim against him. Felt a bit bad as milkmen don't seem to have much luck nowadays.

Yeah, but that's in Norfolk, it probably an horse pulling it!
    Did you write 'an horse' because you pronounce it 'an 'orse'?
    I may be mistaken here, but isn't that one of those quirks of English that it's correct to use 'an' before a word beginning with h (Regardless of how it's pronounced)?
    It's based on pronunciation. The word hour is pronounced with a silent "H" and sounds like "our" when spoken, while horse for example is pronounced with a harder "H". Hence an hour, but a horse.
    Ok. Like I say, I'm no expert, so I bow to the knowledge of others. I also think that you should be correct, but my understanding was that the hard or silent h was irrelevant, meaning that the 'correct' structure led to phrases like "an hotel" and, as redskin says, "an historic occasion."
    I'm sure I've read it in a book on language - like 'Eats, shoots and leaves' or something.
  • Options

Correct GA

For an aditional point

What killed earnie

Pie between the eyes?
    Half a point there was 2 bakery items

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

Milk float hit my car the other week. Made an insurance claim against him. Felt a bit bad as milkmen don't seem to have much luck nowadays.

I may be mistaken here, but isn't that one of those quirks of English that it's correct to use 'an' before a word beginning with h (Regardless of how it's pronounced)?
    It's based on pronunciation. The word hour is pronounced with a silent "H" and sounds like "our" when spoken, while horse for example is pronounced with a harder "H". Hence an hour, but a horse.
    Ok. Like I say, I'm no expert, so I bow to the knowledge of others. I also think that you should be correct, but my understanding was that the hard or silent h was irrelevant, meaning that the 'correct' structure led to phrases like "an hotel" and, as redskin says, "an historic occasion."
    I'm sure I've read it in a book on language - like 'Eats, shoots and leaves' or something.
    There are exceptions to every rule, I've generally worked on the basis of what sounds right, "a hotel" and "a historic situation" just sound wrong even if they are theoretically correct.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

There are exceptions to every rule, I've generally worked on the basis of what sounds right, "a hotel" and "a historic situation" just sound wrong even if they are theoretically correct.
    My original post was a typo, I meant to type 'had a horse pulling it'.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

I think it's a grey area. I think 'a historic' and 'an hour' is correct, but you wouldn't drop any marks in an English exam if you wrote 'an historic'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Christ. We don't half talk an horrendous amount of shit about nothing on this site, eh?

:-D
  • Options
    A rock cake him him underneath his 'eart, and the concrete hardened crust of a stale pork pie caught him in the eye...
  • Options
    Winner well dkne JWADDICK hope you didnt cheat
  • Options
    like the rag & bone man, the umbrella repair man and the door to door knife sharpener they have gone the way of the eight year old chimney sweep .. though there are still a few round here charging about £2 for a pint of golden top as well as tempting the housewives with an assortment of tinned goodies and sad looking spuds, carrots and cabbages
  • Options
    When i was in london friday evening near paddington i saw a chimney sweep and his van made me wonder how many there are left
  • Options

Winner well dkne JWADDICK hope you didnt cheat

How very dare you?! I'll have you know I'm just a sad old git with piles of s**t like that knocking around in my head. Nothing important just s**t like that.

• Options

When i was in london friday evening near paddington i saw a chimney sweep and his van made me wonder how many there are left

there's a little firm in Market Rasen .. chimneys swept, farm yards cleared and professional mole catchers .. yer gotta be a jack of all out in the country
  • Options
    Milk and more... I'd never use them. they've robbed my mate of trying to make a living when they took over the dairy he worked at. It's cheaper for his customers to walk to the shops to buy now and they're taking more money off him as its a franchise. It's hardly worth working now what they want from him.

Milk and More screwing milk men all over the country.

Heard a rag and bone man up near shooters hill the other day. Didn't see him and could not tell what he was yelling.
  • Options
    Does anyone on here actually buy their milk from a milkman?
  • Options
    I use one for work but not home.