Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best new mobile phone?

Overdue an upgrade and now going to take the plunge and get a new phone with internet. I think this means 3G with internet aka smartphone. Will be going for a free handset only, preferably wth existing provider 3mobile, and so far have been offered the Galaxy Ace and HTC Desire C both of which have crap reviews on techradar. So i'll try for something else- thinking Motorola Defy, Nokia Lumia 620 or Motorola RazrI which i think are also at the budget end of the range.

Anyone have any recommends/ avoids in relation to these? Most of all want to stay away from non responsive touch pads and slow or glitchy internet. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• You get what you pay for.
  • Samsung all day long

Efficient hardware, no controlling corporate attitude as regards software
  • Tell you what AIN'T the best 'phone. iPhone 5. Crock of shite, regret getting it. 4S is genuinely better.
  • Tell you what AIN'T the best 'phone. iPhone 5. Crock of shite, regret getting it. 4S is genuinely better.

Can you say why the 4S is better ?

• I have a Lumia 620, and i'm more than happy with it. Touchpad works very well. Internet is OK, but TBH i have nothing much to judge it against (my previous phone, a Blackberry, was hopeless for surfing). I wanted good synchronsing with email, and it is really good for that.

Nokia maps/sat nav nice, too.
  • edited June 2013

Tell you what AIN'T the best 'phone. iPhone 5. Crock of shite, regret getting it. 4S is genuinely better.

Mine seemed to run quicker, battery lasted a lot longer, my 4S never froze once AND the speaker on my iPhone 5 has already broken. There's my 4 reasons!

I also don't understand why Apple changed the charger from the conventional iPod one to what it is now. Not really a complaint, but just because it's different doesn't mean it's better.
  • Started a similar thread earlier in the year if it's any help...

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1527626#Comment_1527626

Ended up getting a Desire X. It's ok for what I need, although it may be possessed as it has a tendency to do things on it's own sometimes
  • Overdue an upgrade and now going to take the plunge and get a new phone with internet. I think this means 3G with internet aka smartphone. Will be going for a free handset only, preferably wth existing provider 3mobile, and so far have been offered the Galaxy Ace and HTC Desire C both of which have crap reviews on techradar. So i'll try for something else- thinking Motorola Defy, Nokia Lumia 620 or Motorola RazrI which i think are also at the budget end of the range.

Anyone have any recommends/ avoids in relation to these? Most of all want to stay away from non responsive touch pads and slow or glitchy internet. Thanks in advance.

Modern smartphones don't have the problem of unresponsive touch pads as they did when they first came out.

If you want internet make sure it has wireless.

Mine seemed to run quicker, battery lasted a lot longer, my 4S never froze once AND the speaker on my iPhone 5 has already broken. There's my 4 reasons!

I also don't understand why Apple changed the charger from the conventional iPod one to what it is now. Not really a complaint, but just because it's different doesn't mean it's better.
    Cheers. That enough for me to keep my 4S and see what the 6 is like.

• Sponsored links:

• edited June 2013
    Talal said:

Started a similar thread earlier in the year if it's any help...

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1527626#Comment_1527626

Cheers Talal. I did search before posting but not with the right words obviously!. Some useful comments there too.
    Spoke to 3mobile just now. After 8/9 years with them some of the deals they are offering (for the slightly better/ mid-range phones) are no better than if i'd just turned up and bought from their website. Still considering the options and will continue to insist on value.
    thanks all
  • edited June 2013
    My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. She is a big fan. Doea virtually everything a normal S3 does but is just smaller.

Have to say a Smart Phone with 3g on Three is a waste of time. By far the worst 3g network coverage of all the major players.
  • I had an S3 mini..... for a week and hated it. Put me off android phones full stop. I'm sure if I hadn't been so used to having an iphone I'd have liked it more. My sister has the S3 mini and seems to like it but it is her first smartphone so she has nothing to compare it to.
  • Samsung should stick to making TV's.

Go for the IPhone all day long.
  • Got the HTC ONE and love it.
  • I'd go for the Nokia Onwood. It's part of the Eddie Floyd collection.................
  • S3 is great S4 is even better.

My son always had iphones now got the S4 and admits it's a much better phone.
  • Google Nexus 4
    It's pure Android so there's no HTC/Samsung rubbish, plus it always gets the latest version of Android waaaaaay before everyone else.
    It's £239 (8GB) or £279 (16GB) upfront from Google Play, but if you get a SIM only deal with it, it's well worth it. You're essentially getting a faster version of the S3 for about £200 less (over the space of a contract).
  • Been more than happy with the RAZR i for the last 8 months. Got it free with EE paying £20 a month for 100 mins, unlimited texts and 500 MB. Only negative so far is finding a case for it.

Be very careful in mobile phone shops-I nearly got done for £80 when upgrading. They said they'd credit money to my account and never did. Had to take it to their head office to get refund, as the branch denied all knowledge.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm looking for one that makes telephone calls to people. Any ideas?
  • I know little about mobiles, and have an ancient Nokia. Thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy Y from Utility Warehouse.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • The y would be a great fone for someone not used to smart phones but wanting to begin to use some of the additional functions

The camera is pony so if that is a requirement for you the y is not a good choice

For a budget fone it has the new gingerbread OS and I think it's a great transition fone if, as u say , u r transferring from an older model

To the guy that said Samsung should stick to tvs, do u work for apple? ;)

It's your opinion but 40m s3s sold worldwide would suggest otherwise
  • Iphone5 all day long!
  • Google Nexus 4
    It's pure Android so there's no HTC/Samsung rubbish, plus it always gets the latest version of Android waaaaaay before everyone else.
    It's £239 (8GB) or £279 (16GB) upfront from Google Play, but if you get a SIM only deal with it, it's well worth it. You're essentially getting a faster version of the S3 for about £200 less (over the space of a contract).

Is it 4G ready?

Got a Nexus 10 tablet, so considering the equivalent phone, but would look to run it on 4G with EE
  • Thanks calydon, I just ordered the gingerbread OS about 10 minutes ago! on the advice of a very helpful lady at Utility Warehouse. I have 14 days to return it if it doesn't suit.

Thanks again.
  • No worries pal. Any tech questions u have on usage feel free to post, enough fone geeks on CL and probably quicker response time than any customer service lol
  • The new range of Xperia phones are worth a look
  • edited June 2013
    Got the s3 and it is far better than shmbo iphone 4s. However the bloody thing went wrong (graphics cpu imo) and it took Three 6 weeks to put right.

Edit# Should point out that the s3 comes with a two year warranty from Samsung
  • Google Nexus 4

Is it 4G ready?

Got a Nexus 10 tablet, so considering the equivalent phone, but would look to run it on 4G with EE

Apparently not 4G ready - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/nexus-4-1108999/review/15#articleContent