Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best new mobile phone?

Comments

• Have an S2, great phone and alot of my mates have changed from iphone to the newer versions. One even got the iphone 5 sold straight away and then got the S4

Samsung pisses over the iphone
  • Had my 4s for nearly 2 years now. I'm going back to Android once I'm done. Hopefully the Galaxy Note 3 will be out by then.
  • Google Nexus 4
    It's pure Android so there's no HTC/Samsung rubbish, plus it always gets the latest version of Android waaaaaay before everyone else.
    It's £239 (8GB) or £279 (16GB) upfront from Google Play, but if you get a SIM only deal with it, it's well worth it. You're essentially getting a faster version of the S3 for about £200 less (over the space of a contract).

Is it 4G ready?

Got a Nexus 10 tablet, so considering the equivalent phone, but would look to run it on 4G with EE
    It isnt 4G but uses the fastest version of HSPA around. It is however a very good phone and a joy to use.
  • Got the HTC ONE and love it.

is that the one with the speakers on the front? I'm due an upgrade soon and always liked my current HTC

• Xperia Z is amazing.
  • Iphones are fckin brilliant, except that everybody I speak to cut out.
    I had the Iphone 3, 3gs, 4, 4s, always thought it was my reception but graduallt realised my phone cut out calls every bloody where.
    I have had a used Galaxy S2 for the past 8 months and not had 1 call cut out, unless.................Im speaking to someone on Iphone.
    Iphone, great tool, shit phone.
  • Iphones are fckin brilliant, except that everybody I speak to cut out.
    I had the Iphone 3, 3gs, 4, 4s, always thought it was my reception but graduallt realised my phone cut out calls every bloody where.
    I have had a used Galaxy S2 for the past 8 months and not had 1 call cut out, unless.................Im speaking to someone on Iphone.
    Iphone, great tool, shit phone.

My iPhone is now my iPod. Far better device now.
  • For me it comes down to getting used to the Eco system you are both used to and have invested in.

I've had an iPhone since the 3G (and iPad since launch) and I don't want to lose all my apps and contacts etc. and I like the idea that they 'share' everything. So, unless I'm going to replace them both (and my Son's iPad, which is on the same account) at the same time I kind of feel obligated to stay with iOS.
  • I've just bought an iPhone 5 on the cheap. Much like yourself KHA I have so many apps and things that I wouldn't want to lose them. The Tom Tom app alone cost me £50 and I use it daily.
  • Sponsored links:

• For me it comes down to getting used to the Eco system you are both used to and have invested in.

I've had an iPhone since the 3G (and iPad since launch) and I don't want to lose all my apps and contacts etc. and I like the idea that they 'share' everything. So, unless I'm going to replace them both (and my Son's iPad, which is on the same account) at the same time I kind of feel obligated to stay with iOS.

This is so true. I would love to have a better phone than an iphone, as I am convinced there are significantly better, cheaper alternatives out there, but I have spent so much on apps it will cost me a fortune!
  • Same here, it's the OS not really the phone that's the thing I want to keep, especially as I have a Mac at home and at work plus an iPad.

Had a 4S for two years (and the 3GS for two before that) and have now gone sim only on it.

I'll probably wait for the iPhone 6 or the next major redesign before I buy a new one.

The Samsungs are great phones but just not for me, like some avoid Apple, I have never bought Samsung, even TVs.

Which is what Apple have done ever so well...they pull you in to their little world and atatch their tentacles around so much of your social/media life that even if you wanted to you can't leave them, because the amount of hassle it causes.

Granted, if you're on Android you're tied in to Google Play/Gmail etc, but at least you can switch between Samsung, Sony, HTC, Google, etc
  • I recently swapped my iPhone for Galaxy, the Galaxy is so so much better.
  • Ha ha love that FOD

i hear the conundrum facing those who have spent oodles on software. Why change? Well the sooner you do, the sooner you start saving. As apples market share declines, they try to increase their profitability margin per user. I can only see it getting worse in the.mid to long term
  • I'm surprised that Google haven't gone to more trouble to advertise how easy it is to switch to Android. I assume that they could set something up that would allow everything stored in the iCloud to be copied across, and maybe even recommend alternative apps to the ones iOS users have.

I'm not saying I'd change, but I suspect that some people would - especially with the price of upgrading getting higher and higher!
  • 3 reasons why I stick with Apple and iOS

1 - Apps and the eco system, for example, yet to see an Android phone with as good a camera as an iPhone, or in the example of the Lumia's with Windows phone, the camera is pretty good, the OS and the app environment is shite. Android always feels a bit laggy for me.

2 - Build, size and design of the phone, only the HTC One is close on build quality, I like that my phone is made of aluminum and glass, others just feel brittle, and I really don't get the need for 5 inch phones.

3 - If something goes wrong with the phone, I can walk into an Apple shop and get the phone replaced with very few questions.
  • There are plenty of apps within the store that allow you to copy contacts and such up to the cloud ready for downloading on an Android phone. As for music it can be done directly through Kies (Samsung equivalent of iTunes), copies from one directly to another.

As for phones, it's got to be the S4 or HTC One. Apple is falling behind very quickly now.
  • That's if HTC are still here in a year, losing money like its going out of fashion.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've got an S4 and it's ridiculous.
  • I've been looking at the previews of the Galaxy Note 3. Now that has got just about everything you could ever wish for on a phone.
  • Isn't the Note 3 so big you can even use it as a plate?
  • I generally root my phones to get rid of all the extra software included so never have any issues with lag and hugely improves the battery life but very good point on the build of the iPhones. For me, the only real thing that iPhones have on others.

Would argue that the LG G2 and S4 have better cameras than the iPhone 5 though, not sure about the 5S, prob not but then it is newer.
  • CyanogenMod?
  • Hyperdrive now, used to have Omega.
  • cafcpolo said:

There are plenty of apps within the store that allow you to copy contacts and such up to the cloud ready for downloading on an Android phone. As for music it can be done directly through Kies (Samsung equivalent of iTunes), copies from one directly to another.

I don't doubt it, but I've never heard any advertising campaign telling us how easy it is, and that surprises me a little.
  • Rothko said:

Isn't the Note 3 so big you can even use it as a plate?

If you think thats big have a look at the galaxy mega!
  • csr_cafc said:

Rothko said:

Thats the thing though isnt it. Our first phones were huge, then they got smaller and smaller...and now bigger seems to be better.

I'm happy with my 4s tbh. I wish it was a little bigger. If Apple brought out a iPhone about the size of the Note 2 that would be ideal.

• csr_cafc said:

Rothko said:

Note 3 is a 5.7 inch screen

Mega is 6.4 inch, which is almost a tablet. Aren't they calling them Phablets?

Anyone got any experience of performance improvements on 4G? I am due an upgrade in October and I swear that T-Mobile are slowing down my 3G with a view to getting me to move to 4G on EE.