Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who is the fastest player you have seen play for Charlton ?

Comments

• Options
    I tell you what, I'm not going as far as to say that he was the fastest but once Carl Leaburn got those endless legs pumping he could shift and leave defenders in his wake.

Not a player many would necessarily automatically come up with when pace is discussed.
  • Options
    Rommedahl away at Boro was pretty much unplayable. Shame it was such a rarity.
  • Options
    Scott Sinclair is pretty quick

We didn't see it much tbf
  • Options
    Dennis in the last minute without a doubt.
  • Options

FIRMANI9 said:

Good shout about Hales & Paul Williams over the first 5 - 10 yards. They were probabaly our most effective fast players. The others mentioned were more just eye catching.

Darren Bent not effective? :-)

A mention too - and he rarely seems to get much air time on CL - for Martin Robinson. Though half the time he was racing clear onto a through ball that didn't actually clear the defence...

It's not so much Martin Robinson's speed I recall, as his all-round attacking ability. He was always full of energy, creating and scoring goals, or delivering excellent crosses from the wing. A highly underrated player, sadly neglected on CL.

• Options
    Also, if we narrow it down to effective fast players then John Robinson must be in there as well. At least he appeared to be running fast but that might have just been his little legs !
  • Options
    Neil Heaney was quite nippy
  • Options
    Dennis Rommedahl by a country mile. I seem to remember he could run 100m time in an Olympic qualifying time.
  • Options
    Has to be Rommedahl but Haynes, Netwon, Waggy and Wiggins all worth a mention too.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I tell you what, I'm not going as far as to say that he was the fastest but once Carl Leaburn got those endless legs pumping he could shift and leave defenders in his wake.

Not a player many would necessarily automatically come up with when pace is discussed.

Len, you are funny. How many times can anyone recall Leaburn bearing down on goal, with the defenders left for dead, due to Leaburn's speed ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2013

LenGlover said:

Len, you are funny. How many times can anyone recall Leaburn bearing down on goal, with the defenders left for dead, due to Leaburn's speed ?
    I grant you it didn't happen often but it did happen.

Was it Newcastle away where Bennett, Leaburn, Williams and Mortimer cut their defence to shreds?

Leaburn lost nothing pacewise in comparison to Bennett and Williams that day and the consensus is that they were both quick.
  • Options
    Praps :-)
  • Options
    I remember seeing John Humphrey out-sprint Tony Daley (who was supposedly one of the fastest players around at the time) at Selhurst Park.
  • Options
    Dennis Rommedahl, shortly followed by Danny Haynes.

Nathan Eccleston was also very quick
  • Options
    Rommedahl, no doubt. 100m dash time of about 10.2/3 I'd say
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I said rommedahl. Now i think about it. Was old dennis a fast runner or à fast player?
  • Options
    Rommedahl was only fast without the ball. With the ball not so.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thats what i was trying to get at. Gareth bale/ Ronaldo are fast players. DR was just à fast runner.
  • Options
    Super Kevin Lisbie was no slouch in his early days
  • Options
    Nicky Bailey
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nigel Gray and Steve Dowman
  • Options
    Yassin Moutukil? (spelling)
  • Options
    As rarely if ever seen Dennis beat anyone for pace, must be Haynes. Izale Mcleod wasn't slow!!!
  • Options
    Darren Bent- for speed of thought as much as anything.
  • Options

Never seen anyone move as quickly as parker did when he knew chelsea were after him.

Heh heh heh

• Options
    Not much mention of Newts on here, but he was absolute lightning. Can't remember who it was against, but I once saw him get done by a fullback, then turn round and chase him straight back the other way and catch him within ten yards.
  • Options
    Kyel Reid was very quick with the ball and had a fantastic touch.
  • Options
    Lisbie, give him the ball and the chance had gone in a flash
  • Options
    Anyone that ever played in a lifer match would know the only possible answer to this question is Dazzler...... Flames off the back of his boots fast.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Lisbie, give him the ball and the chance had gone in a flash

Like it!