Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who is the fastest player you have seen play for Charlton ?

Comments

• Options
    Danny Haynes and Denny Rommedahl were the most rapid I've seen in a cafc shirt. Darren Bent and Leroy Lita were both quick too however Dazza didn't use it as much as he could.
  • Options
    How quick was John Barnes when he came to Charlton?
  • Options
    uncle said:

Not very, probably due to the extra few stones he was carrying.
  • Options
    I thought that might be the case.
  • Options
    uncle said:

Put it this way, TV cameras never had to use the slow motion replay function with him.
  • Options
    Scone.

But seriously the fastest, most effective in my lifetime had to be Bent.
  • Options
    Pawl Abbott had something behind him...
  • Options
    The magical thing about Paul Williams is that he seemed to arrive from nowhere in the blink of an eye. The opposing defenders would be calmly passing the ball around at the back, waiting for the next opening up front, and Willo would cover fifteen yards like a shot and make an interception. He went to Sheffield Wednesday for £600,000 in 1990 - good money in those days.
  • Options

Not much mention of Newts on here, but he was absolute lightning. Can't remember who it was against, but I once saw him get done by a fullback, then turn round and chase him straight back the other way and catch him within ten yards.

Not so sure about Newts being the quickest Leroy, after all he came out with the classic below

‘Do you remember when we played in Spain in the Anglo-Italian Cup?’
  • Options
    Bob bolder
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not much mention of Newts on here, but he was absolute lightning. Can't remember who it was against, but I once saw him get done by a fullback, then turn round and chase him straight back the other way and catch him within ten yards.

Think that was against Michael Gray in the home game against Sunderland the year we won the play-offs. Considering Gray was no slouch himself, it was pretty impressive show of speed.

• Options
    Eddie Youds.
  • Options
    Newts was seriously quick and he could maintain it over a distance too - I forget the opponent and the game, but I remember him making up what seemed like about 30 yards on one player to prevent a cross from our right back position after our right back got caught in possession in attack. He somehow didn't look quite as quick as he really was though.

Haynes and Rommedahl were probably the ones who 'looked' the fastest, they both just seemed to eat up the yards at an unfeasible rate, maybe had something to do with having better acceleration than Newts. Rommedahl seemed to go from on his heels to olympic 100m speed in about 2 paces. Why did we never just drop the ball in behind the fullback?

Bent is probably the one who utilised his pace best, especially when we had Murphy threading all those lovely through balls. The goal vs Melchiot and Brum is one of my favourite Charlton goals.

The daddy of them all though was pre-injury Rufus - quicker than most of the supposedly quick strikers he marked and quick to an extent very rarely seen in defenders.
  • Options
    Scott Parker when he was a teen would made storming runs down the middle...curbs slowed him down eventually, bless.him.
  • Options
    Martin Pringle was also very fast but lacked many other attributes to make him a quality striker .
  • Options
    Jimmy Gauld was the quickest according to my dad.
  • Options
    Has no one mentioned Mark McCammon? Seem to remember that as well as a shite player he was a 100m sprinter for GB.
  • Options

Jimmy Gauld was the quickest according to my dad.

Only when he had the winnings!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-413243/Peter-Swan-talks-games-notorious-corruption-scandal.html

:-)
  • Options
    Am I right in remembering that we once gave John Regis a trial? We wasn't very good apparently. But fast!
  • Options
    Kyel Reid for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shaun Newton was quick.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

I still daydream about Bent leaving Melchiot for dead after giving him a 5 metre head start.

After the highlights on MOTD Gary Lineker said "It's fair to say Darren Bent is faster than Mario Melchiot"

• Options
    Martin Pringle was very rapid, don't think there'd be much in it between him and Rommedahl
  • Options
    Ricky Otto when he's running away from OB
  • Options
    Danny Mills against Hull, a few years ago.
  • Options
    Paul Gorman was a little on the rapid side.
  • Options
    Steve Jones running away from CL members
  • Options
    rommedahl id say
  • Options
    JFH, heading for the burger van.
  • Options
    I remember Mickey Bennett absolutely skinning the Everton back four at Selhurst for Paul Williams to score in the late 80's when they were considered to be amongst the best defenders in the Country. Shame injuries ruined his career.